Turbo advice

Hi,
I have an after-market Turbo fitted to my 80 Series LandCruiser. Of recent times I've noted oil on the flexible connectors coming from the turbo into the inlet ports. It think the pipe is called the cross over. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so what was the diagnosis? My diagnosis is the turbo is leaking oil from its bearings internally which means a replacement turbo.

It is not as yet using a noticeable amount of oil and still drives ok.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
WBS
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 18:35

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 18:35
Do you still have the engine breather hose from the rocker cover connected to the intake? you will usually get engine fumes from here which will deposit oil into the intake. I have removed mine from the intake and have run it into an oil catch can to prevent this.
So I would try removing the breather hose, clean the intake out and see how it goes before worrying about the turbo.

Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 417849

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 18:43

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 18:43
Hi WBS,
My old 80 has a 1HDT with 312000k's and had the Big End Bearing replaced again on Friday, I ask the mechanic about the same thing, and I said the same as Chris as just said. So I will be fitting a Oil Catch Can in the next couple of days or so.

AnswerID: 417852

Follow Up By: luxyboy - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 11:33

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 11:33
hey there this is off topic , but your wording next to your pic got my attention , is that from a certain part of the bible scriptures or just your own little theory either way its well said and i totally agree !! cheers
FollowupID: 688462

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 15:40

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 15:40
Hi luxyboy,
I can't remember where I found it, I think I was searching on the net for something, you know how it is, something grabs your attention and you forget what you were actually looking for and I stumbled on a site that had these kinda of sayings on it. And I thought how true it is.
Another one that I once saw on the wall of an office somewhere,
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Cheers, Hope you had a great day.
FollowupID: 688501

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 18:47

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 18:47
As other have said, fit a catch can.I fitted one on our Cruiser after turbo'ing it.
I built my own can and mounted it up high on the rear right hand corner of the motor so that it self drains any oil caught back into the rocker breather.So its set and forget.
If you join up to LCOOL.org there are lots of discussions and pictures of owners cans.
AnswerID: 417856

Reply By: WBS - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 19:01

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 19:01
Thanks for all the prompt replies.
I've just gone out and checked the breather hose and where it joins the intake to the turbo. Just below that point there is a flexible connector which is spotlessly clean of any oil so I doubt that there is a significant amount of oil coming through the breather pipe into the intake compared to amount of oil showing up on the other side of the turbo at the flexible connectors. I accept there may be some oil but if that were the problem I would have thought the oil would saturate the flexible connectors on both sides of the turbo not just the output side.

Looks like my pessimistic view has not been debunked.

Having said that I'll investigate the catch can as it sounds like a good idea.

Thanks again
WBs
AnswerID: 417859

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 07:52

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 07:52
A Prado owner was on here a week or so ago who had been told his turbo was "blown" by the stealer. He also noted the presence of oil in the trunking.
It is quite normal for turbo's to leak a tiny bit of oil, my 1987 turbo Volvo has a drain plug on the bottom of the intercooler (lowest point in the system) to drain off the collected oil. Up to a cupful is ok according to the workshop manual. I would be lucky to get 20mls in 12 months/20k and the motor/turbo is approaching 400k and a petrol turbo gets a whole lot hotter then a diesel.
Unless oil consumption is excessive, down on power and it is blowing clouds of blue smoke i wouldn't worry about it.
AnswerID: 417896

Sponsored Links