Gary H'Way, WA

Submitted: Monday, May 24, 2010 at 21:12
ThreadID: 78741 Views:2639 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Planning to drive Sth - Nth using David Carnegie from Great Central Rd, early June 2010, and am searching for any current updates on these tracks etc. Please confirm that NO permits are required for these tracks...

Many thanks,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 22:50

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 22:50
The great thing about this site is there is so much rich information. All you have to do is look. Here is a link to the trek notes on the site. Very informative right down to the permits required.

Exploroz Trek Notes - David Carnegie Road

Permit not required but you may require one for your onwards journey on the Gary. All available on line at the DIA website.

DIA Permits Page

Check out the track and road condition reports for info on current conditions. It's usually in good condition comparitively speaking of course.

Heres my blog on it from Travel last year.David Carnegie Blog & Video

Hope that helps.


''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 418009

Reply By: jaxanddross - Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 13:19

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 13:19
Thanks Mick,
A great help.
Checked the DIA website, and it does't list the Gary H'Way, but have applied for the GCR and stated that we are turning Nth off it onto DCR/Gary, and ending in Kunawwaradji.
The DIA should therefore advise if a separate permit is needed?
Will let you know...
Jacquie and David.
AnswerID: 418054

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 16:24

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 16:24
Don't expect advice from DIA Jacquie and David. You have to do your own reading as to which you require.

When trip planning last year, i emailed DIA asking which permits we would need and got no reply; apparently normal for them. I applied on line for the Gary Junction permit, and summary said that several elders needed to be contacted and it may take some time and approval will not necessarily be granted. A friend travelling through the Sandy Blight Junction got theirs when they reach Alice Springs - dated AFTER the range of dates they had specified. We never got ours at all, and a subsequent query via the Minister said that somehow our application must have disappeared off their system. It is hard to know what dates when you are travelling and need to apply so far in advance and while in interent range to get the reply.

By contrast, the NT ones were simple and received by return email.

It sounds like you have a good trip planned. Enjoy.


Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 688130

Reply By: jaxanddross - Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 16:57

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 16:57
Just done a load more reading through various sites, and have now read that a permit is NOT needed for the Gary H'Way, or the David Carnegie.
Just need one permit for the GCR from Laverton for the stretch accross to the north turn, up the David Carnegie - the rest, from a permit point of view, is plain sailing.
AnswerID: 418079

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)