Latest on the Cooper

Submitted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 12:20
ThreadID: 78782 Views:3060 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
A fly over this morning showed the creek flowing into the last lake only 2 - 3 km from the Track and it's hooting. You can still drive across at 1/2m but not reccomended after that, at it's current rate I'd be checking it's flow before I drove accross. It has come some 15km in a couple of days. Good news on the SA transport leaving a road work crew on the northern side. It has rained again and just 10 - 15ml has left some of the tracks not passable already. Going to be lovely with wildlflowers this season with rain predicited this Friday. I have always stuck to the track being lost end of May - early June. Don't ask me how but our supply truck is able to come from Adelaide
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 12:38

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 12:38
Great news, Teraa, thanks for the update. She's moving fairly quickly - very exciting.
AnswerID: 418217

Reply By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 14:18

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 14:18
Thanks Teraa
It appears it has picked up a bit of speed, local rain would contribute to that.
I leave N.Z. 31st May. Heading to Wiluna.
It would be fantastic to be there on the spot to see the start of water coming down, but how can you plan with floods, they do their own thing regardless of mere humans.
Please keep us informed
At this stage will head to Birdsville anyway. I will check there and might have to hook a right and go the Plenty.
I guess just take what nature gives us.
The cattle will be looking fat & sassy anyway.
Thanks
Russ
AnswerID: 418237

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 14:22

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 14:22
Hi Teraa,
Thanks for the update. It sounds like it must well and truly be past the ferry site.
With that rate of progress, it sounds like Jason will be loosing his bet for the 20th June. Saw Patsy last week and she said that they have started to pad lock many gates in anticipation for the influx of people to check the flood waters out.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 418238

Reply By: Teraa - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 19:38

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 19:38
Yep it's past the ferry, no new road as yet and no work on ferry yet. Should make a grand sight though when it happens. I got another fly over soon
AnswerID: 418274

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 23:43

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 23:43
Is this ferry going to be running???? if so with all the traffic going to Birdsville races how long will it take to get all the cars over? I'm in a bit of a panic here in WA LOL So badly want to go for a ride on that ferry, I remember as a kid going across the Murray it was always a highlight of the holidays.........second childhood hahaha.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 688376

Follow Up By: Teraa - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 20:17

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 20:17
Eventually the ferry will run there is a period of time still when you can still drive through and then theres a bit of a wait until it's 3m when the ferry can run. But it wasn't expected for another 6 weeks if you talk to SA transport. Does anyone know if and when ferry runs if it is posted on SA Road Reports ?
FollowupID: 688551

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 22:57

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 22:57
Thanks for the follow up Teraa, I guess I'm, like lot s of others. looking forward to being able to go on a ferry in the middle of the desert, definitely a once in a life time for me and don't really want to miss it.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 688569

Reply By: Carlin - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 10:37

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 10:37
HI. I am bring myself, and the 2 kids out for a look in a couple of weeks. what would you recommend in regards to fishing gear for the cooper???. Nothing like asking the locals thats for sure! yabby net? light rod? lures?
AnswerID: 418642

Reply By: Teraa - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 12:04

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 12:04
It is 400m from the track, I am probably the wrong person to ask about fish bait I can tell you however the fish spotted so far is boney bream small but in large schools. I would think that you would be looking for yellow belly bait and lures but it changes it's name down here it's called The Lake Eyre Golden Perch.
AnswerID: 418646

Sponsored Links