Off Road trailers and Bloomfield Track

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 788 Views:2980 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am getting verying opinions on Bloomfield track. One (authoritative???) article I read recently says not to take caravans or off road trailers on this track. Other people tell me there is no problems with Offroad trailers - with ALL vehicles being off limits after rain.

Anybody done the section Cape Trib to Cooktown with a trailer???

thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ray - Thursday, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Nicko
Travelled the track about 4 years ago with an 80TD and a track trailer with no problems. As long as the track is dry no problems
Ray
AnswerID: 2223

Reply By: Will - Thursday, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:00
Nicko, Nobody can comment on track conditions from one year to the next, I have been on tracks that were like highways and you come next time tellign everybody this section is OK and you find it is a nightmare compared to last time.
If you are doing these tracks you like adventure, just do it and judge it yourself, taking a trailer on any off road adventure is always a risk and trailers are always a pain when it comes to difficult situations, at the end of the day is you call.
Will
AnswerID: 2225

Reply By: Ged - Saturday, Mar 02, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Mar 02, 2002 at 01:00
Nicko, 18mths ago my wife Pam & I towed our Phoenix Scorpion caravan from Cape Trib to Cooktown, Weipa, Burketown, Roper Bar etc, no problem. Single axle caravan, gross weight on axle 2300kg. Tow vehicle L'Rover '93 Disco 2.5 TDI. We went through some light showers on the 'Trib road, but the steepest sections have double concrete tracks. With good brakes, care & common sense, you'll have no problem. Happy camping! PS Great free camping spot on the beach at Weary Bay!
AnswerID: 2247

Reply By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Saturday, Mar 02, 2002 at 01:00

I have been on this track 3 times this week so far and generally towing a well set up camper trailer would be no problem. There has been virtually no wet season here as yet this year. Feel free to give me a call when you are going to be up this way and I will give you an up to date track report. Not uncommon to see 2wd vehicles on this track in dry weather. For a bit more adventure leave your trailer in Cairns and drive up the coast road and come back via the CREB track.
Life is tuff in the Tropics

Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 2249

Follow Up By: Rod - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2002 at 01:00
Rob, The CREB Track and Roaring Meg Falls, are permit required from anybody eg Aboriginal communities etc? Is there are difference travelling the CREB south to north. Thanks Rod
FollowupID: 816

Follow Up By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2002 at 01:00
No permits are required for the CREB track ATM tho you do need a permit for Roaring Meg, this can change at any time check with EPA or NPWS
I think the CREB is a little more difficult going south. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 818

Reply By: Nicko - Saturday, Mar 02, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks to everyone for the replies. This sure is a bloody good forum - inhabited by some bloody good people. Will give the CREB a miss this time Rob - going further on [much further] and would only be back tracking. May take you up on offer of current track condition. Will also check out weary bay thanks Ged. Regards to all.
AnswerID: 2252

Sponsored Links