Internet Broadband coverage

Submitted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 23:55
ThreadID: 78805 Views:3041 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone out there.
I have not started caravanning yet. I'm in the planning stage. My wife and I will set off this July, hoping to be out there for 2-3yrs.
At the moment I live in Perth and I use Dodo as a wireless broadband provider. I suspect Dodo does not have the coverage needed in the bush but Telstra's coverage seems sketchy also.
Does anyone have advice as to what service I am best to use
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cobber - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 00:14

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 00:14
Telstra is the only one if you are travelling in the bush,where you can use your mobile you get wireless broadband...........have a safe trip
AnswerID: 418341

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 00:21

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 00:21
Yes Telstra, but NOT the Telstra pre-paid modems , get the Bigpond flash drive sized modem , they have coverage anywhere the Next G phone service is, and the rates for new setups is good too.

CHECK IT OUT HERE

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 418342

Follow Up By: Keaysie - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 15:12

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 15:12
Thanks Doug for that info, I'll do what you are suggesting.
Cheers
FollowupID: 688497

Follow Up By: DesF - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 17:43

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 17:43
Hi, we use our Nokia 6720 or 6120 Next G phones with a telstra $10.00 for 200meg data pack connected to the laptop and it works well, very happy with the coverage in our travels , even works while driving.
works in most towns etc even across the nullabour,
Cheers Des.
FollowupID: 688529

Reply By: Member - Paul & Bill M (SA) - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 00:36

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 00:36
telstra only one with best coverage.
truck driver
AnswerID: 418343

Reply By: Zebra400 - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 03:58

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 03:58
It really depends where you plan to go. If you stay on the main roads & near main towns you should get good coverage from Telstra.

However, you say you are from Perth. If you plan to travel off road away from main towns, you will most likely find no coverage at all.

Check out Teltsra's coverage at http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/networks/coverage/state.html
AnswerID: 418346

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 08:26

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 08:26
Not our experience when we were over in the west last year, pretty much good coverage, yes there was the occasional campsite that had no coverage but it was quite surprising where the phone worked, basically if you are within 50 or 60k of a minesite then you will have coverage. It was rare to go more than a couple of days without coverage of some sort during the day when travelling.
FollowupID: 688407

Reply By: carlsp - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 07:50

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 07:50
Hi,

You have not other choice but telstra next G. Do not go to a telstra shop however as they are all idiots. Try JB Hi as they are great and know more than telstra. Often they have deals that telstra do not have themselves. Try to work that one out...I cannot.

We use a wirless broadband modem that makes the caravan a wirless hot spot. We can both be on the internet at the same time that way or be outside under the annex when the caravan is hot.

Also we have next G antenna on top of both the caravan and tow truck to increase range. Sometimes you cannot get internet from the caravan but you can take the modem and drive to a hilltop to get coverage. Then you use the antenna on the tow truck.

The third option is a spare antenna that we have to extending tent poles. This gives you about 6 meters in height. After that you just watch DVD's and forget about getting coverage.
AnswerID: 418360

Follow Up By: ChipPunk - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 10:24

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 10:24
"Often they have deals that telstra do not have themselves"...

That's the beauty of our new de-regulation and competition - Telstra must make available "proclaimed services" to wholesalers for at least 10% less than their own retail prices. (Put simply...)

Gotta love free trade and deregulation LOL.
FollowupID: 688436

Follow Up By: Keaysie - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 15:58

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 15:58
Thanks Carlsp
I'll get telstra Next G. Thanks also for the tip on having two antennas. We intend to do a lot of 4wding without the caravan so that's a good idea.
FollowupID: 688505

Follow Up By: MrsMolly - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 22:02

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 22:02
Hi Carlsp, your set up sounds very much what I am looking for. Would you be happy to list the specs of what you have installed. I'm not very tech savvy but am starting to get a hang of it :). When you say you take the modem in the rig, do you mean the modem that is for your wireless network?
FollowupID: 692394

Reply By: Amanda2271 - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 08:42

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 08:42
Telstra is the only way to go I am afraid. You pay top dollar for it but we did a trip from Adelaide to WA last year and had coverage pretty much everywhere we went. Even on the Nullarbor. We have an aerial that we can put up outside the camper which helps quite a bit too.
AnswerID: 418367

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 09:29

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 09:29
We have a similar set up to Carl - Next G home gateway modem on Bigpond.
Operate two laptops on the net at the same time via wifi.

We also carry spare external antennas and a long swimming pool aluminium extension pole. We get coverage in some surprisingly remote spots.

One of our antennas is a Yagi (high gain directional). You can get up to 22 dB, which is fantastic, but it might be a bit big for some people to carry. We have this Yagi from City Technology mounted on a high tower at our shack on McArthur River in NT. We get 4 bars, when phone alone gets no signal.

Telstra / Bigpond have recently reduced prices for wireless plans. Although they are still more expensive than others, given the coverage, I have no complaints about the price these days.

Norm C
AnswerID: 418374

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 12:31

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 12:31
Got to agree with you on the surprises Norm C, we were a Mungo NP a couple of weeks ago and I was out back on the eastern side of the Walls of China to see what was available to photograph at sunrise, while waiting I decided to give the mobile a check as I could see a huge expanse of flat country between me ant the horizon.

I got signal to 3-4 bars, so for anyone out that way that wants to make a mobile call just trek out back across the dunes and you will get it.

At the same time a couple from Bourke was on a dune a few hundred metres to the south of me and their mobile went off as soon as they turned it on, so Mungo NP is not out of touch either, just means you have to walk a bit to get the right spot.

Regards
Paul H

Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 688470

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 13:17

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 13:17
hi
signal strength and reception
also has a lot to do with the quality of the phone one is using
but with some exceptions
iv'e found in wa optus useless carried both on one trip
unless right near major towns otherwise optus zilch
but telstra was generally good in almost all areas with the odd exceptions

for example in augusta w.a in town telstra difficult to get a reception but go 6 km's north of town towards margaret river and one has full signal

both my daughter and i had 2 different phones/ nokia and samsung /but both had problems in augusta town site anywhere else equal signal
cheers
FollowupID: 688474

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 13:11

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 13:11
If you have lots of cash to blow and must have access Bgan will get you broadband coverage for the whole globe.
Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 418404

Reply By: Keaysie - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 15:09

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 15:09
Thanks alot for all your replies on Internet Broadband coverage. Looks like telstra is the way to go. I especially like the method of putting antennas on both vehicles. Hopefully I'll see you all out there and we can catch up in person.
Cheers
AnswerID: 418418

Sponsored Links