Fraser Island around January..

Can people give me some 1st hand knowledge of what's it's like on Fraser during Dec - Jan.

Is it too hot or anything like that?

I've been there during the month of October and it was awesome. Looking at a return trip but it's a long drive from WA if not worth it.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: George_M - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 12:37

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 12:37
Fraser Island in Dec -Jan?

Hot, lots of people, vehicles everywhere, and bl##dy fantastic any time of the year!

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 418399

Reply By: Allan B, Sunshine Coast, - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 12:41

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 12:41
Andrew, The summer averaged maximum is only about 30C due to sea breezes but it can have an odd day a bit higher. The sun and UV can be fierce though.

It is also very busy during that holiday period and camp bookings would be necessary.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 418400

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 13:04

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 13:04
Weather can be variable. Very high humidity, storms, rain, blazing sun. (it is the wet season after all)

Paradise....

Apart from the hords that is. Very busy time of year.
AnswerID: 418402

Reply By: Kev - Member - Wynnum - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 16:32

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 16:32
Hi Andrew,

We visit Fraser during January. It can be hot but there are plenty of creeks to cool down.

The march flies can be unbearable. Adults can take care of them with a swatter but they are a nuisance for children.
Kev
AnswerID: 418435

Follow Up By: rumpig - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 17:50

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 17:50
i second the comment Re: the flies.
we camped up there for New Years once and the flies weren't exactly unbearable, but they were ferocious. i woke earlier one morning and sat on the sand dune alone in front of our camp in the trusty camp chair, whilst having a coffee and staring out to sea. in the next hour or so, i had a killing field of flies at my feet, i must have killed about 20 of the little buggers as they tried biting me on my feet and legs.
the rest of the experience was good, no real storm dramas, as we camp up near Dundaburra and seem to see alot of the storm action either hitting further South or North of our camp sites. we have camped around the same area for many years now, and see the storms hitting the other parts of the island regularly, just to date most have not hit where we have camped.
FollowupID: 688531

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 07:07

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 07:07
We had been to Fraser Island for the annual Clean Up for 4 or 5 years until 2 years ago. It was held on the Australia Day weekend back then, and although it's a great cause, the flies and the heat got the better of us. We got little sleep most nights sweating away in our tent or trailer, once off the beach and behind a dune, there's little breeze to keep cool. And to cool down in Eli Creek or the closer lakes, we had to fight the rest of the holiday makers. And while the suns up, so are the flies! So for a couple of years we didn't go, but this year, 4WD Qld changed the clean up to May, and it was awesome. No (or very few) March flies, excellent temperatures and not as many tourists. Hopefully they will keep it on the May weekend, we'll go every year if they do!

Free Plug time!!! Toyota sponsor the Fraser Clean Up Weekend, good on 'em! They pour a lot of money into the event and deserve a plug!
(Says Brian, a one-eyed Nissan Patrol driver!)

Cheers

Brian

AnswerID: 418491

Sponsored Links