Road Conditions - Cloncurry, Burke & Wills Roadhouse, Gregory Downs, Burketown b

Submitted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 22:51
ThreadID: 78830 Views:8127 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there.

Has any body been on any of the following roads in the last few days, and can you advise the conditions.

Burke & Wills Roadhouse to Gregory Downs
Gregory Downs to Burketown
Burketown to Normanton.

I have a 30' van which has been over all sorts of territory. Are there rivers with water in them that need to be crossed? Towing with LC100TD.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: carlsp - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 08:20

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 08:20
Hi Laurie,

Did part of this last week but asked about the road conditions for the parts I did not do.

B&W to GD is sealed but in parts narrow to one land. There are several places where you cannot got off the seal at all. That being a ditch into the never never. Some of these places run for several hundred meters over flood prone areas. If you meet a raod train on this part with a 30 footer, it would be tricky. Road trains are not prone to slowing or talking on the radio. Generally not trouble. We crossed with a 24 ft van.

The road GD to Burketown is gravel but goo from what we were told. All of the roads you mentioned are open.

Burketown to Normanton we were told is not trouble as well. Were told that Leichart Falls is a very nice place to camp.

You did not mention Lawn Hill. If you are this close, I certainly recommend heading in there. You can leave your van at GD if you wish to make it a day trip. It is just another 77 kilometers fo gravel and 41 of which are very goo indeed. Only 2 river crossings but both are very easy even with a long van.

AnswerID: 418502

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 08:28

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 08:28
Thank you sir. That seems to backup what little advice I've been able to glean so far, but it is all heresay. RACq says that the Burketown -Normanton road is closed, but it said that about a couple of other roads we've been on as well.

Need to be in Normanton for next Wednesday, as I want to do the Gulflander thingy.

Can't do it all, altho Lawn Hill is a temptation.

cheers
FollowupID: 688594

Reply By: wendys - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 16:13

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 16:13
Gregory Downs to Burketown is across blacksoil country. Can stay closed for ages because of that.
AnswerID: 418555

Sponsored Links