Indoor outdoor auto thermometer

Submitted: Friday, May 28, 2010 at 15:46
ThreadID: 78848 Views:3522 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I just lashed out and bought an indoor outdoor car thermometer from Jaycar.

It did have a 1 degree difference between the temperature readings out of the box so I am guessing it is not all that accurate but it works and was quick and easy to install.

I have the outside temp gauge mounted under the bull bar but I guess at a pinch I could hook it to the gearbox of diffs to get a reading and see how they are going if I suspected there were problems.

I paid $22 ish for it I know there are cheaper deals on the internet but it was there and done in a simple transaction so much easier for my old brain :-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Isuzumu - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 16:17

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 16:17
They are great for us guys how have older vehicles, I have ones called ThermoTech, had them for a long time. Inside and outside temp, voltage and time and your right Doug never thought about putting the sensor else where.
Cheers Bruce
D.Max and Jayco Outback

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 418557

Reply By: Member - Ups and Downs - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 19:20

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 19:20
What's the reason for having one?

I realise that you will know what the temperature difference is, but is there any reason for knowing, other than curiosity?

Paul
AnswerID: 418584

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Friday, May 28, 2010 at 19:28

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 19:28
Nope just pure curiosity

Nothing else

that and Margo's Peugeot has an outside thermometer and it is interesting to watch the changes as you drive up the mountains, now I need a digital altimeter ;-)
FollowupID: 688680

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 01:35

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 01:35
"now I need a digital altimeter "

Most GPS units can display your altitude.

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 688725

Reply By: ChipPunk - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 21:52

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 21:52
Many DMMs (Digital Multi-Meters) have temp sensors.

I loved my old trusty $27 DMM with backlit LCD display (only for ~5 secs after the button was pushed, but great when no other light available!) and audible continuity tester.

When I saw Jaycar "dispose" of the same but with temperature for $10.75, I grabbed a few. (Admittedly to use the display for other things...)
But I have used its 1000°C thermocouple for various vehicle measurements...

Normal price for similar is still around $30 or less.
And DMMs tend to come in very handy - unless perhaps you have the Jaycar "cool blue" backlit LCD in/out temp & clock and VOLTMETER (despite some annoyances..).

Otherwise BBQ temp meters tend to be cheap - just extend the sensor (if 2-piece).

AnswerID: 418599

Reply By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:37

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:37
Me too ....
I got me a cheapie with LARGE digitital readout screen.

Just dropped the external sensor inside my Engels unit and voila !!
fridge temp and ambient shown together - give a real comparison on how hard the 'fridge is working.

Lots more innovative applications for them, I'm sure.
AnswerID: 418606

Reply By: Robin Miller - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 07:32

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 07:32
I degree doesn't mean its not accurate Dug , its very had to even set up a means of measuring the actual temperature with two different sensors.

If you put the 2 sensors near each other then put them both inside a good esky on a bit of foam and let them settle then you get close.

That said the stuff from Jaycar is very accurate anyway , it can be trimmed to be right at any given temp, but I'm probably the only one who would bother to calibrate a $20 tool.

I stuck one of my external sensors to the underside of the winch , quite useful to be aware of overheating as I did a 60ft winch pull last weekend.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 418627

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 11:35

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 11:35
I left them side by side for an hour and they still gave a 1 degree difference.

I am not that pedantic

All I want is "DAM IT"S HOT" or "DAM IT"S COLD !" :-)
FollowupID: 688759

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)