Fuel Prices in the Kimberleys

Submitted: Friday, May 28, 2010 at 21:39
ThreadID: 78861 Views:5474 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Fuelwatch Info
18 May 2010
Gulf in Kimberley fuel prices
Depending on where you fill up your car in the Kimberley there can be up to 25 cents per
litre difference in the price you pay for your petrol.
That’s why FuelWatch at Consumer Protection is urging motorists, both tourists and local
drivers, to be aware of the wide variation in cost across the region.
Deputy Prices Commissioner for WA, Peter Groves, said the data gathered by FuelWatch
shows a clear trend in the Kimberley.
Broome tends to be the cheapest place while Derby on the other hand has some of the
most expensive fuel within the FuelWatch boundary,” he said.
“In fact so far this month the difference between the average price of unleaded petrol in
Broome and Derby has been almost 14 cents per litre.”
Mr Groves added that it is not just unleaded petrol which differs greatly in price.
“It’s similar story for diesel, with Broome having the lowest average price – 15 and 16 cents
a litre cheaper than the Derby and Kununurra average, which is the most expensive.
Derby and Kununurra motorists can still make savings though. FuelWatch analysis shows
that West Kimberley Fuels diesel is significantly cheaper than other Derby outlets. In
Kununurra AFD has the cheapest diesel.”
Fitzroy Crossing is the place to get the lowest price LPG in the region, with Derby being
the most expensive – currently the difference between Fitzroy Crossing and Derby LPG
averages at 25 cents per litre.”
Wherever you go in the Kimberley the price of petrol varies greatly from town to town so
FuelWatch advises drivers to always check the cost per litre before filling up.
As for the reason for these price variations, Mr Groves explained: “It is primarily down to
competition and retail margins.”
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 23:08

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 23:08
I recall from when we were touring the Kimberley in 2008, that Wyndham was a fair bit cheaper than Kununurra. In reality, when touring, you have to take it at the price due to the distances, and it will be more in the more remote locations with a lower turnover. Fuel watch only lists the major towns, and not roadhouses and other outlets such as along the Gibb River Road, Drysdale River Station and Kalumburu. If these places did not provide fuel, touring the area would be darn near impossible.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 418612

Follow Up By: Muntoo - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 00:06

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 00:06
Yeah spot on, Wyndham is the place for the cheapest fuel. Only Diesel is shipped into Wyndham so all unleaded comes from Darwin, thats why the price is so high. Yet Kununurra servos charge more for unleaded then Wyndhams, yet they pay less in freight. Typical Kununurra attitude, charge more give less.
FollowupID: 688723

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 05:06

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 05:06
Thanks for the update. Next time I cross the GRR W to E and get near Elquestro, I will pop back to Broome to fill up. Should save a fortune.
AnswerID: 418620

Reply By: Allan B, Sunshine Coast, - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 09:54

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 09:54
Virtually all businesses sell their wares at the highest price that the market will stand. That's what business is all about.

Derby and Kununurra are at the jumping-off points for the Gibb River Road and motorists believe that they need to fill-up at those places so the market has little alternative and higher prices can prevail. That is simply the economics of our free-market society and there is little point in chest-beating about it.

There would be people who complain about this marketing yet would endeavour to negotiate the highest personal salary that they could obtain in the employment marketplace.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 418636

Follow Up By: kimberleybloke - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 10:12

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 10:12
When fueling up in Derby go to the W.K.Fuels yard-BP.(This is only diesel.)Yesterday they were 13 cents a litre cheaper than the two servo's in town,which are now both run by the same company.(so much for competition!)
FollowupID: 688750

Reply By: Rangiephil - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 10:03

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 10:03
As I left the Woolies check out in Derby with my docket I asked "Where is the Woolies petrol station? "
Answer "Broome"

Broome has Coles and Woolies and Fitzroy crossing is Coles.
Who says it doesn't lower the prices.

On that vein the highest difference I have seen is between Katherine and Three Ways. Katherine was AFAIR 1.24 ULP at Woolies and Three ways 1.69. I said to the truckie filling the tanks, "Gee you must charge a LOT to bring the fuel from Katherine to here." He laughed.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 418637

Sponsored Links