Timing Chain/belt

Submitted: Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:49
ThreadID: 78864 Views:3282 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Could anyone tell me wether a 06 DID (turbo diesel) exceed pajero has a timing belt/chain that requires replacement. I am asking this question for my neighbour, he went today to get a quote (his regular mechanic) for his 200k service expecting it to be quit large and was told there is no belt/chain to replace/service ?? There is nothing in his servicing book mentioning it either, when he told me his mechanic told him no diesels at all require a timing belt I told him to get a new mechanic........Regards Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: patsproule - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 05:14

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 05:14
Many diesels do have a timing BELT - 1HZ and 1HD motors for a start!

The DID though has a timing chain which does not normally need replacement. However there is a small guide plate that the chain rides on between the two cams that has a nasty habit of loosing it's plastic guide. This then means the chain runs on the metal plate and some have been known to snag the chain and lunch the motor. This part costs about $25 and is very easy to change with the rocker cover off. The valve clearances should be checked and adjusted at the same time, which is also a fairly easy job given that these have a good fully adjustable setup rather than the Toyota / Nissan shim system. At 200,000 I would be swapping the guide regardless of it looking worn or not.

Here is a link to the thread on Pajeroclub Forums with info and pictures

Regards - Pat Sproule.
AnswerID: 418621

Follow Up By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 06:00

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 06:00
Hi Steve.
I second Pat's comments.
Had my guide replaced at 100k.For the small cost it certainly gives you piece of mind.
Cheers.
Vince
FollowupID: 688733

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 15:23

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 15:23
Cheers guys just checked out the pajero website Pat posted, great website have let my neighbour know, sounds like a common problem Mitsi dont want to know about. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 688777

Sponsored Links