too many choices

Submitted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 21:31
ThreadID: 78886 Views:3590 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

My wife and I are going on the road in a few years but need to buy a vehicle soon so our business can claim it from Ruds wallet.(tax dept.) we will be towing a van. 20 foot. td wagon is option 1 with about 200k or less on the clock. holden Colorado duel cab new (same price as landcruiser) . Patrol 4.2 td if I could find a good one. navara new duel cab. isuzu rodeo I don't realy like the idea of small cc motors working hard eg;2.5 navara and prefer the 4.2 6 cylinder but new vs second hand? for same purchase price. Does any one have experience with the duel cabs and could they give me an honest opinion on different makes and models eg: comfort , towing ability .reliability etc....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alcoz - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 09:09

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 09:09
G day David
I'd suggest you go and drive all the models your interested in.
couple of years ago I loved the look of the Navara until I test drove it and realized my back couldn't take the hammering from the rear suspension.
Most stuff theses days seems pretty good just be aware that the real towing rate is and make sure your well inside it. Cheers!
AnswerID: 418732

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 17:12

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 17:12
Did you try a little load in the tray? I have a canopy on mine and always have a box of tools and one of recovery gear in the back. My wife has a bad back and does not find it rough. I don't find it much rougher than my previous Disco S2 and they are noted for being one of the smoothest 4WDs.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 688925

Reply By: Flynnie - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 15:09

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 15:09
A 6 or an 8 for a 4x4 tow vehicle mate. :)

Flynnie

AnswerID: 418777

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 16:59

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 16:59
Hi David,

Test driving any prospective purchase with a view to towing around 2 tonne does not give you much of a much of a clue as to the suitability of that specific vehicle for that particular job.

Case in point. Four years ago I bought a 2 tonne van and as the EL falcon I had at the time was rated at 2.5 tonne I thought it would be perfect. Not so. The thing was struggling on the relatively small hills between Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie where I live. Three weeks later I bought an 80 series Landcruiser as that was what I had seen other people using for that sized van whilst out and about around the country.

The falcon gave no clue as to its unsuitability for this particular job just driving around town or on the highway not towing.

The cruiser on the other hand does the job so easily it is a joke. It knows it has 2 tonne out the back but it just shoves its shoulder into it, so to speak, and away we go with not a worry in the world. Stress free towing I call it.

Mate, my advice is go a cruiser or 4.2 Patrol. For your needs a petrol Cruiser on gas or a Turbo diesel and the same in Nissan from my experience. My nephew has a current model petrol Colorado and he is impressed but he has not towed my van with it yet and I am keen to see how it will go.

There's my thoughts for what its worth David and I am sure others will add to the mix.
Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 418799

Follow Up By: Member - david m2 (SA) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 22:20

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 22:20
A cruiser or patrol tray top was also a consideration. I thought the ride might be a bit stiff
FollowupID: 689005

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 17:33

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 17:33
I use a 07 Navara to tow a 2 tonne van (as weighed.) Very few Cruisers out perform my rig on big hills towing vans (unless they are smaller than mine.) I have a friend who has a 2.6 T Future systems van that he has towed with a 3.0 diesel and a 4.8 petrol/gas Patrol. He now has a Pathfinder (same mechanicals as my Navara.) He says it is not as good as the 4.8 was but far out performs the 3.0.

When the Navara came out with the 2.5 diesel all the big cube pundits said it would not perform as well as the other Jap utes that were 3.0 or larger. They have been proved wrong. The Navara is probably the best puller of the 2 - 5 year old utes (although it does suffer in the fuel consumption area a little.) The Triton now has its 3.2 motor replaced with a s 2.5 one and an uprated towing capacity (there is one model with a 3000 kg rating.) The Volkswagen ute (not yet in Oz) has an even smaller model for the same size machine.

Get used to the way of motor developments. Remember the days when a high speed diesel engine was one that revved at over 1,000 RPM, took as much steel to build as a whole modern day ute and developed a whole 40 - 60 BHP.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 418807

Follow Up By: Davo_60 - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 17:46

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 17:46
"Very few Cruisers out perform my rig on big hills towing vans"

Interesting. Every factory TD Cruiser from about 95 onwards would, and would continue to do so for many many years. Nice one.

Dave
FollowupID: 688929

Reply By: Jenny M - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 18:50

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 18:50
wouldn't go past a duel cab as the cargo hold is seperate. Can contain smellly fishing gear, fuel for generator and chainsaw without invading the cabin. (bait several days old has also been known to inhabit the space)
We have a 2006 Navara D22 and it is great all round vehicle (tows 19'6" Jayco easily) - good luck
AnswerID: 418814

Sponsored Links