Have things changed this much? I want to go back.

Submitted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 22:35
ThreadID: 78887 Views:2887 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
A few weeks ago there was a story in the WEST about a fatal crash involving 4WD near a Kimberley town.
Have phoned the police station of that town and given details, and politely I asked if they could tell me from which town the 4WD was from; the answer, we don’t tell you.
So, I ask if the 4WD was from this Named Town in the Kimberly, and the answer was, we do not tell you.
I was not interest in any names or details. Just the think that usual is in the media.
I use to live in the Kimberly long ago and the police and the public use to have a great relationship
Is the relationship between the police and the public this bad even in places like the Kimberley?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Barnesy SA - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 23:31

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 23:31
I can't answer for the Police but working in the public hospital system I am well aware of the practice of confidentiality.

This police officer has no idea who you are and he can't just go around giving out details about incidents involving deceased persons, or any other information about Police investigations for that matter.

If you are concerned that the deceased person was someone you once knew then you should get in touch with their family, neighbour or the like. If you don't have any one to contact then you will simply have to live with not knowing.

It has nothing to do with a perceived poor relationship between the Police and public.
AnswerID: 418719

Follow Up By: nomadoz - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 06:43

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 06:43
I’m well aware of privacy laws and I do respect it.
Just the animosity that has created, it is not necessary.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 688862

Follow Up By: carlsp - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 07:58

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 07:58
I understand the point you are making but I think, you have missed what Nomadoz is getting at.

A few year ago the WA police changed uniforms. Funny thing is the Dutch police force did the same thing. The Dutch however commissioned a investigation before hand and descovered that by making their uniform look less "formal" they would improve relations with the community. It worked fantastically.

The WA police did exactly the opposite and introduced a "Paramilitary uniform" to look more authoritarian. How is that working for them so far???????????
FollowupID: 688864

Follow Up By: nomadoz - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 08:42

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 08:42
That’s exactly the point, you respect the public and most will respect you, by all means get out the sledgehammer for those that don’t show respect in return; just like it use to be.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 688867

Reply By: Mike DiD - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 04:54

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 04:54
The over-reaction to the Privacy Act gets so stupid that a friend went to the Police Station to get details about the driver who hit him and put him in hospital, but the officer refused - until a senior officer who could think logically intervened !
AnswerID: 418722

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 09:39

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 09:39
Yes Nomadoz, things have changed that much.

Society has changed and the Police have had to change accordingly.

Cheers.....Lionel.
AnswerID: 418740

Sponsored Links