100 series Cruiser Long Range Tank Issues????

I'm seriously considering putting in a long range tank in my 2005 Cruiser...however the couple of suppliers I have spoken to all have concerns about having a tow bar fitted???..surely others have a tow bar and have a long range fitted?

anyone help me out here?

thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Indigo Jones (QLD) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 09:32

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 09:32
I have a 180 long ranger in my 100 series and a tow bar - it fits with no problems at all.

Have a look at Long Ranger it has a fair amount of info that you might find useful
AnswerID: 418738

Follow Up By: Member - T N (Qld) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 14:23

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 14:23
Same Same Long Ranger fitted to 100 series+ tow bar towing Kedron Topender.
FollowupID: 688906

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 03:45

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 03:45
Indigo Jones

Do not forget Brown Davis, long range tanks, as a second Australian manufacturer.

Brown Davis long range fuel tanks

Also

Read this thread ID ( 72861 ) for my experience.

Their back up service is unbelievably brilliant.

Cheers Bucky
FollowupID: 689031

Follow Up By: Indigo Jones (QLD) - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 10:05

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 10:05
Bucky I haven't heard of Brown Davis Long range tanks before, nice to see there is some competition in the market -

Personally i am happy with my Long ranger and hopefully won't have to replace it anytime soon
FollowupID: 689050

Reply By: Tony MD - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 10:00

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 10:00
The issue is with the genuine Toyota tow bar conflicting with most of the available long range tanks. ARB bar may be OK.
AnswerID: 418742

Reply By: Member - Gaz@Gove (NT) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 10:38

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 10:38
I have a 180 longranger fitted to my '99 100 series with a toyota towbar. Fitted it myself, the instructions were very clear and easy to follow.
Cheers, Gaz
Mmmmmmmm, now where do we go next?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 418745

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 11:37

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 11:37
As said above its not the tanks its which towbar you have that matters.

If you are vanning consider the extra weight as by the time you hook up and hop in there wont be much left for any gear in the back.

Presuming of course you worry about being legally loaded.
AnswerID: 418756

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 12:32

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 12:32
Indeed Graham - when ordering my van and thinking about distances between fuel outlets, I decided to add fuel capacity to the van - the legislation/insurance is vital of course but I worry most about the car's rear tyres when loaded up to the limit and in high heat.
FollowupID: 688891

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 12:42

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 12:42
There are very few if any places that you would run out of fuel if towing a van on most roads around the country.

I only have standard tanks and never had a problem in 50,000k I sometimes carried an extra 40 litres in the car mostly to avoid high prices in some areas.

Carrying fuel in the van would possibly void any insurance.

We found it hard to keep under the vans legal ATM without trying to carry fuel in it as well Geeeeeeeezzzzz.

My tyres never got extraordinarily hot either even in 40+ days.

The only day they did was on the east coast in normal March temps and at the time I had a full width stone guard with a 300mm gap in the middle hanging on the tail of the car.

Rear tyres got up to 65deg Took the stone guard off and dropped back to 45deg. Never put it back on and had no more problems.

FollowupID: 688894

Reply By: gazza414 - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 15:46

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 15:46
have a 3.5tonne Trail Boss towbar fitted.

Is this the problem or is it lack of knowledge with distributors / fitters of these long range tanks?

My understanding is that there are only 2 manufacturers of long range tanks in Australia? is this correct?
AnswerID: 418784

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 17:11

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 17:11
Just for your info (if considering other towbars)- I have the Trailboss too (previous owner) - Hayman Reese told me they make them in the same place as their own brand of towbars - a 'buget' line it seems - same load specs though - the genuine HR bar might be the same pattern.
FollowupID: 688924

Reply By: wdric - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 21:24

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 21:24
I can only vouch for the longranger tank (I design them)

The only towbar you will have a problem with is the genuine towbar were the left side mounts to the chassis and the right side mounts to the spare tyre cross member.

The problem simply exists because the spare tyre cross member is removed so the towbar don't fit anymore.

All other towbars that mount to the chassis rail either side will fit at least with a longranger

AS said earlier there is heaps of info on the site, all your answers are there already.
The main picture is a genuine towbar that mounts to chassis rail either side, so it is OK (you can click to enlarge)
http://www.thelongranger.com.au/100serieslongrangefueltank.html

If you click on the "More pics" section There is a picture of the offending towbar mounting to the cross member

Don't forget to specify independent or live axle as the chassis are different and therefore the tanks are a bit different.

If you don't need all that fuel, there is a combo fuel/water version with 55lt of water aand 120 of fuel.
The water tank is made of stainless steel and is glued into the top of the fuel tank :)
AnswerID: 418838

Follow Up By: gazza414 - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 05:58

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 05:58
Thanks very much for the follow up wdric, can you let me know what testing of the tanks has or has not been done with reference to crash testing please?... I read in another thread that members from this forum had concerns over the fitment of the long range tanks and insurance policies.

thanks
FollowupID: 689033

Follow Up By: wdric - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 07:17

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 07:17
No crash testing has been done.
Do you have the link to that thread?
Anyone who has concerns about insurance most likely does not know the rules and is a pointless discussion with everyone saying their two bobs worth, but nobody talking facts.
Any tank that is mounted inside a chassis rail does not need any sort of structural testing. Side mounted truck tanks or tanks that are within 100mm of the external body need to be drop tested from a large height.
Once a car has been registered any ADR rules do not apply (but the bigger tank can not affect them) and it is the individual states rules that need to be considered.
The state rules are along the lines of:
No closer than 100mm to the ground
Do not affect the depature angle
Welded to an Australian welding standard etc
These rules are more for drop tanks in street cars as our tanks would not sell if we made them suit most of these rules :)

Besides all of that our tanks are made of 2mm aluminised steel and your factory sub tank that is in the same placed is only about 0.9mm

FYI
We once put one of our troppy tanks out in the padock a few years ago and put a remote ignition source in it.
We then put different amounts of fuel in it and tried to blow it up.
We them put some aero start in it and tried again.
AS a fuel tank is not a pressure vessel and can not handle pressure over about 10 psi before distroting it did distort and would not be able to be reused, but it did not split open.
A little dissapointing really we where hopeing for something like in the movies :)
FollowupID: 689036

Sponsored Links