Road condition conflict

Submitted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 13:09
ThreadID: 78899 Views:2882 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am trying to prepare for a trip across the Plenty highway and then to do Nathan river and back through the gulf. Leaving in 4 weeks.

RACQ site says Hellsgate to NT border as closed.
NT site says Plenty hwy is closed and Nathan river open.

However, there have been reports on the forums of recent travels along these roads.??????????

Can anyone tell me if these roads are officially closed or are the road reports out of date?

Thanks

Alan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 13:38

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 13:38
Alan , no one can give you answer what the road will be like /open / closed/ in 4 weeks time , all depends on the weather. The best is to get phone number of the council foreman / roadgang , for the area and call him /her direct as you get closer to the area ,
AnswerID: 418772

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 15:49

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 15:49
Phone Hells Gate on Phone: (07) 4745 8258 for info. Ten days ago the road between Doomagee and west to Boroloola was still closed (too wet). Haven't talked to them recently as I'm not travelling that way until mid August.

For Nathan River, ring the Ranger at Nathan River, or ring Lorella Springs, they will have the latest info.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 418786

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 20:56

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 20:56
Gday,
If you want an "official answer" you need to ask the official people.
No one will give you guaranteed advice at the moment cause the weather all over the country is up the ?????and CENTRAL NT ( like most places) has had heaps more water than usual.
Id just go on the advice of other travellers but have an alternate plan just in case.
I do know a bloke working on the Plenty but haven't spoke to him for a few weeks.....but saying that Id assume the Nt side is alight????

Cheers
AnswerID: 418833

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 03:31

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 03:31
G day Hairy

Hows it all going ?
Hope the family ect. is all fine ?

Did you get Ozi Explorer problem fixed ?
I think that I am headed down that track, in the near future with a in Dash GPS, problem what brand will I get.

Jolly cold down here in Wonthaggi, Bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !

Cant wait to mid July till we head off into the outback again.
This time to Tiboburra and beyond, and mayb e by then, the floods will be gone !

Cheers and have a good one
Bucky

FollowupID: 689030

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 10:13

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 10:13
Gday Bucky,
Everyone is good here...Thanks
Yeah mate, I got the Ozi thing sorted....took a while but got it in the end.

We have a new contract on the house.....should know if its unconditional next week with a BIT OF LUCK!

Cant wait to get to the coast!!!!

Cheers Mate
Hairy
FollowupID: 689053

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 09:00

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 09:00
Hi Alan, Let US Know conditions when you go through, as it is very hard to get a definite answer from Authorities. They, understandably, are reluctant to open damaged roads for a number of reasons.
Mainly to minimize further damage but they have to err on the side of caution rather than send unsuspecting travelers through too soon, as happened earlier this year west of the Simpson Desert where people were getting stuck and there were reports of vehicles washed away in some of the floods still moving through from the Alice Region.

Also The roads may well be open to local traffic ONLY - when safe.

I encourage anyone to email accurate road reports through to us as we do a National Road Conditions report but we only have so many resources to keep it all accurate and up to date.

Hope this helps.

Kerry W
ExplorOz Road Conditions Co-Ordinator

kerry@exploroz.com
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 418883

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 11:55

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 11:55
Or... simply click the road name in the report and enter your "interactive feedback" directly into the Road Report. That's the quickest way to get the info out if you have first hand knowledge.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 689067

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 18:55

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 18:55
Carpentaria Shire Road Report

Above link Shows Roads East from Burketown

West of Burketown - Ring Burke Shire Council as they maintain these roads
Phone 07 4745 5100