southern cross tent double ender

Submitted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 18:16
ThreadID: 78904 Views:6295 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
gday everyone i am looking at maybe bying a southern cross tent double ender for my trip to cape york this year with my wife and 2 young kids
i currently have a black wolf turbo 300 and its just to small for 3 stretcher beds and a port cot.
does anybody own one of these double ender tents?
how do you keep the rain out of the tent as there is no awning? so if its bleep ing rain and stinking hot it would suck being in tent with all the windows and doors down. my black wolfs awning is curved on the sides so it can keep the rain out with the front door open.
is it really worth the 2 grand price tag and how long does it take to set up? i am really looking for a tent that i will have for at least 10 years
anybody know were i could inspect a southern cross double ender around gold coast brisbane??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: matske - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 18:28

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 18:28
here is link to southern cross tent website with pics
http://www.southerncrosscanvas.com.au/tents/ultimate-tents/
AnswerID: 418811

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:11

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:11
I bought my Camper trailer from them back in 1996, sold it last year, for what I paid for it as it was still in excellent condition due to using quality materials and zippers etc.
(yes, I know add interest etc but it was still a good deal)

Their workmanship could not be faulted in all the time I had it, it was used at one site for 17 months, with tree and bird matter on it daily so had some stains.

I'm sure they would still make to order, as they did for me, with configuration modifications, as long as you don't get too dramatically carried away :)

They may be a tad on the expensive side, but when you look at quality v price I believe it's really a no brainer.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 418817

Reply By: Member - Aaron L (NSW) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:52

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:52
G'day Matske, I have the southerncross double ender, I also have the Ultimate Deluxe. I moved up to the double ender for exactly the same reason of needing more room with two little kids. We have been in some torrential rains and wind as well as even in snow in the Vic High Country. These tents are worth every penny. The ONLY advice I can give is to thouroughly wet it down before using. I left mine up in the yard for a week whilst raining to ensure it got a good wetting.

I put mine up myself whilst the wife occupies the kids, takes me around 10mins total. Longer if I use a tarp over.
cheers Aaron
AnswerID: 418825

Follow Up By: matske - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 20:12

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 20:12
thanks for ya replys hey aaron does the double enders have a pole in the middle of them? i know the quality is great everybody says there the best tent you can bye. i have seen the ultimate 9 tent and the canvas and zippers are fantastic! and no need for a fly!! did you have any trouble with condensation on the walls or roof?
10 min is a good set up time for 1 person for such a big tent
oh yeh and i also noticed in the picture of the double ender that there is no loops to tie your ropes onto to hold the tent down in strong wind. do you just tie ropes to the poles on the sides?? a guy in a campin shop told me these tents dont need ropes yeh right i do alot of beach campin
FollowupID: 688966

Follow Up By: Member - Aaron L (NSW) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 20:50

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 20:50
Hi It does have a centre pole but you can buy a kit that makes it into a side pole (A-Frame Type Kit). We have had some condensation in the snow, but its near impossible not too. In relation to roping the Tent - I have never needed too and I have been in Galeforce winds (ie 90+ Kph) without issue, in fact I was camping at Bathurst in Oct and had a gale blow inwhich Blew every tent down around us but I survived unscathed.
FollowupID: 688978

Follow Up By: Member - Boeing (PER) - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 18:40

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 18:40
Definitely get the A frame kit. We have the freedom family tourer and the A frame gives you much more internal space with bedding etc.

Cheers

Mark
FollowupID: 689120

Follow Up By: matske - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 17:00

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 17:00
well i am really leaning towards bying the double ender tent next weekend at the campin show in bris if i can get my hands on one my only concern is with the rain with this tent. is there any way to still have some air flow inside the tent when its floggin down? i will be campin alot in north qld and dont like the idea of being inside a hot tent when its rainin with all the windows and doors down. in my black wolf 300 i can have the front door open while its rainin as the shape of the awning blocks the rain.
does anybody have the awning for the double ender southern cross?
if so how long does it take to put up with one person
FollowupID: 689568

Sponsored Links