Birdsville Track/Cooper Creek Flood Progress Update

Submitted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 22:35
ThreadID: 78916 Views:5760 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
I have just received the very latest photos and report from Terra, who is right on the spot. Below is what Terra has to say and the photos are taken and supplied also by Terra. Thanks Terra for your quick response.

For those out there like me that may be thinking of heading up there for the long weekend in two weeks time, see you up there.

We took these photos at about 50 - 60m from the track, there is one area with a bank but I can see lower areas the wind has picked up same as last year end of May and then we had sand storms early June. The wind will push it faster, them groupies wanna watch it might sneak up on them. They are camped right in the channel. I know it's slow going but if the wind picks up at night when your snoring it could be anywhere by morning. I have seen floodouts like this fill rather quickly, anyones guess now just hoping for a supply truck Thurs.
Thanks Terra

Thanks to Terra.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Teraa - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 22:44

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 22:44
You are going to have a great trip I am seeing wildlfowers the Track is just amasing right now and it's perfect weather for camping except for the wind.
AnswerID: 418855

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 22:54

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 22:54
Hi Teraa
I would like to personally like to thank you on behalf of everyone here on the forum for supplying these tempting pictures, as now I can not wait to get up there and see those waters first hand. If you are around on the long weekend, keep an eye of for a black Prado and stop and have a chat, it would be great to catch up.

Thanks for your pictures.

Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689014

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 22:46

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 22:46
Awesome pics. Thanks for the update (both of you). Shame I won't be able to see it for myself.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 418856

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 22:57

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 22:57
Hi Fred
These will not be the last pictures that will be displayed here on the forum, you have my word on that. I will take lots and put up a blog, for all people like you that are not able to get down and see this one in twenty year event.

I will keep all updated.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689015

Follow Up By: Member - Michael John T (VIC) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 23:31

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 23:31
Great photos, they bring back memories. I went back through the old photo albums and it was in 1989 (September) that we were swimming (wast deep) at the sight of the ferry crossing on the Coopers. Back at the track the water hadn't crossed it at that stage. I can't recall if it ever did.

Will be heading North in 2 weeks time but via Warri Gate and the Dig Tree before making for Birdsville and beyond.

Regards

Mike (Vic).
FollowupID: 689019

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 00:22

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 00:22
Hi Michael
It was great of Teraa to supply those pictures. I would say that it will temp a lot more to head up and see it in real life.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689023

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 07:44

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 07:44
Hi Mike
I should have also said that you would have been only one month early to see the ferry run. Back in 1989 the Cooper Creek ferry ran from October 1989 and then only ran for four months until January 1990. Further flooding of the Cooper again saw it swing into action again in July 1990 and then ran until January 1991.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689039

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 07:45

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 07:45
Mike it did indeed cut the track, we travelled on the ferry in mid 1990 20 years ago.
As has been said before when the ferry is running later in the year delays to cross will probably stretch into days if tourist traffic is at last years levels or more.
Back in 1990 we had a group of four vehicles heading south, for us all to cross took nearly two hours as the ferry had to load each vehicle, make the trip, unload the vehicle, load a vehicle coming the other way and then go back across.
Everyone had to get out of the vehicle, don a life jacket and travel outside.
Our troopy and Cub Supamatic camper only just fit on, the ramps were up against the wheels at both ends. They would not take the truck on one trip and then the camper they had to go together or not at all. Most current campers would be much longer than ours so would not fit.
In those days there would probably be 20 -30 vehicles a day using the track, these days in peak period there would be that many an hour so delays to cross will be huge.
Locals had priority so if a load of cattle turned up then you could forget crossing that day at all, as the ferry cannot take large vehicles then the cattle are offloaded into yards then put on the ferry in groups and then offloaded the other side, a lengthy process.
FollowupID: 689040

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 23:21

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 23:21
Thanks again for yet another update. Would be great to see it as it is now.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 418859

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 00:20

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 00:20
Hi Deanna
Yes seeing those photos makes me wish I could be there right now. Don't worry, it will still look the same when you get to see it. Look out for lots of pictures in my blog.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689022

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 23:58

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 23:58
Finally its made the news Ten late news anyhow. Station girls having a dip in the cold water.
AnswerID: 419036

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 07:37

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 07:37
Hi Old Girl
I have just woken up to news of this on the ABC Radio. Lets Hope Teraa is one of them. When I rang Etadunna yesterday, Patsy was walking the dog but the Governess said that all eyes were now on the crossing and she said it would finally be over within the next 24 hours.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689195

Follow Up By: Teraa - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 19:57

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 19:57
Yep it's over pouriing over the track on northern end they are all hoping it doesn't get very deep for another 2 weeks but who knows. The Cooper Groupies got out of the channel it apparently came pouring over last night.
FollowupID: 689303

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:34

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:34
Hi Teraa
Did you get my phone message that I left today? I do not want to be the bearer of bad news, but speaking with the girls today and the rate that is taking, it sounds like that in 2 weeks time it should be very deep.

Patsy said that when one of their workmen came in today, there was a small 10cm fish on the running board of the Toyota.

When Patsy and Jade checked it out last night, it was right on the side of the track and by first thing this morning, as you know it had well and truly crossed and getting deeper by the hour.

Cheers and send in more great pictures.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689323

Follow Up By: Teraa - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:41

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:41
THEY LIVE IN HOPE FOR THE SUPPLY TRUCK THURSDAY, I HAVE MY DOUBTS AS WELL.
FollowupID: 689324

Sponsored Links