Anyone heading to South Lake Eyre late June?

Hi everyone,

We'll be heading off to South Lake Eyre from the Central Coast via Broken Hill, Peterborough and Maree around the last week in June - just wondered if anyone else will be travelling this way at that time? It would be interesting to meet up with others along the way. On this short trip to Lake Eyre (10-14 days), Andrew and I will travelling in the 100 series V8 LC, and camping with the Oztent and the dog, our gentle Rhodesian Ridgeback girl. We've checked along the way for dog friendly camping spots and it seems most places are OK about dogs. Any feedback on this (and anything else!) would be appreciated too. :o)

I'm a keen amateur photographer so I can't wait to take 100's of photos along the way and I am aching to get 'out there' in the outback again! This time last year, I was crossing this great country of ours, with my old friend, Annie, in her trusty 80 series LC! We started from Tom Price in the Pilbara, then across the Red Centre to Rockhampton in Queensland! An absolutely fantastic trip and one I hope to repeat with my husband AND spend much longer in some places! It's true what they say, once you've been out there, the red dust gets into your blood! I love it!

Cheers,
Anne-Marie

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Lotzi (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 10:28

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 10:28
Hi AnneMarie

A mate and I are heading out that way from Brisbane on the 14th June, via Birdsville, bush camping most of the way, mainly just a recon for a bigger trip later in the year.

Have been following the forum re Lake Eyre area, still seems to be a bit wet damp out that way, roads also a mystery.

Say g'day if you see us, we'll be in an old white GQ with a roof top tent.

Cheers

AnswerID: 419074

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 10:40

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 10:40
Hi Lotzi,

Cheers - we'll look out for you! We're in a silver Landcruiser with black roof rack and side car awning. :o)

Good luck and safe driving on the Birdsville Track - hope it's still open and in reasonable condition for you!

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 689219

Reply By: Teraa - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:58

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:58
Don't think your allowed a dog in national park that is if you go into the park to see the Lake. Could check parks web site to be sure. I'd be watching for baits they use sinage but easy to miss.
AnswerID: 419168

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 08:06

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 08:06
Hi Teraa - We do realise that we cannot take Bekky into the National Park part of Lake Eyre and don't plan to, but as we can't really afford to leave her in a kennel for 2 weeks at $30/day we'll be bringing her with us and try to see as much of Lake Eyre South area as is possible. Better to go and see something than miss this fantastic opportunity! The baits do worry me a bit, but she is always on a lead when out of the car, unless we are at a dogs permitted area. If anyone knows of any good kennels along the way, we might consider leaving her for a few days.

We thought we'd both be working in new jobs by now (recently moved to a new area) and would not have had this chance to go on a trip to Lake Eyre, but as we're still chasing jobs (doesn't help being on the other side of 55!!) we decided to just go! Might not get another chance once I start TAFE in July! :o)

Just as well most of the free camps along the journey are dog friendly!

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 689354

Follow Up By: Teraa - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 13:55

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 13:55
Hi
There is a kennel in Port Augusta ' Red Gum' not sure of the updated prices but they are nice people would recommend them personnaly. The baits are scarey not the farmers fault they gotta do what they do.
You'll have a great trip the country is remarkable at the moment and it is really cold but I like it cold when Ii camp out. I hope you find some work nothing wrong with being 55 try the Mungerannie Hotel they sometimes look for people when it's busy you might pick up some extra cash.
FollowupID: 689387

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:46

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:46
Thanks for that Teraa - I just called them and they seem like nice people. Forgot about the SA school holidays so hope to get away sooner if possible so we don't overlap!!! Don't really want to travel during the holidays!

I'm sure it will be a great trip even in the cold! It was very cold this time last year going across the centre, especially when we stayed in Warakurna and Uluru!! Am off to Aldi tomorrow to pick up some of their Thermal underwear specials!

Thanks for the tip about the Mungerannie Hotel! Will certainly keep it in mind for another time, as we'll only be away a couple of weeks or so... THIS time at least! :o)

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 689399

Reply By: Member - Jan Z (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 11:14

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 11:14
Hi Anne-Marie, you should have a great trip. We have just returned and apart from 2 flat tyres (1 on the Oodnadatta and 1 on the road down to Roxby) and a flat airbed, it was a magic, but cold trip. The roads are good when not wet, then they are slippery as anything. You can see plenty of water at Lake Eyre South and it is still rising. Because we hadn't been there before, we went in through Muloorina station to see Lake Eyre North (not a real lot to see, the lagoon was better nearer the station) then back along the Oodnadatta track to William Creek. The absolute highlight was the air flight over the Painted Hills and the lake. Magic, magic. If you can split your flights so that one is still with your dog, do it. I didn't think it would be as good as it was. Have fun and enjoy, almost wish we were there again. Depending on your vehiclle, it is an even prettier way to go in from Yunta through to either Arkaroola, Copley or even from Yunta to Lyndhurst and camping in the creek beds is wonderful. Very, very rough track from Moolawatana to Lyndhurst for the first third of the track and wouldn't recommend it if not sure of your vehicle. All the best, Jan
Couldn't ask for any better!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 419216

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 13:21

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 13:21
Hi Jan,

Thank you so much for that wonderful insight to what we will experience! Sounds awesome! We'll be well-prepared in our much loved Landcruiser which has all the important stuff like spare tyres (of course!!), small air-compressor, winch, double batteries, UHF and HF radios, SELF-inflating bed (done the 'flat air bed' before and you freeze!), thermal underwear, pure down sleeping bags etc!!

Hopefully all will go as planned and if not, we'll take it as it comes! Being in the outback is never without adventures of all kinds!! I am in the process of trying to convince my other half to consider at least boarding Bekky somewhere en route for a short time, maybe Port Augusta.... ???

Thanks again Jan and I'll keep in touch to let you know how it all goes!

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 689385

Reply By: Duncan99 - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 07:22

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 07:22
hi Anne-Marie,
I am going to Arkaroola Aug 5 for 3 days . We (2 of us) are looking for others to make up the numbers for a flight over L Eyre from Marree or William Creek.Travelling to Arkaroola by bus from Adelaide so need to hook up with someone staying at Arkaroola so we can get to one of those flights. Flights from Arkaroola start at $695 , to expensive for me, vs $250-$350 at Marree or William Creek.
Regards, Duncan
AnswerID: 422656

Sponsored Links