Shockies

Submitted: Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 20:18
ThreadID: 7898 Views:3308 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I want to get some heavy duty shockies but i don't know which ones to buy? i mean there are sooo many like Rancho, OME, Series 2000, Blisten, Koni which ones are the best for touring the outback and some extreme offroad use?

If anyone could point me in the right direction i would be grateful

Thanks

Nigel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 21:18

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 21:18
Nigel I have had a set OME springs and shocks They have been on both my 60s . The same set I swaped them over when I got the newer truck .They have done a fair few trips now up the cape and back about 10 times the simpson desert the high country and a fair few other trips. I will be up dating the shocks this year with another set of OME. So in short I have not had a problem to date.
All the best
Eric
4x4 tag along adventures.Cape York Connections
AnswerID: 34214

Reply By: Member - Eric- Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 22:21

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 22:21
Horses for courses , I have found foam cell shocks great , no prefrence in brand , you will find most are made in the same factory . Go for the best price in any NAME brandVenus Bay
AnswerID: 34222

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 23:01

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 23:01
Go the new 70mm diameter tUFF Dogs...
AnswerID: 34234

Follow Up By: Nigel (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 18:46

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 18:46
Cheers truckster

but on post 7551 you said you wouldn't go Tough dogs would would choose OME over them ummmm

Nigel
FollowupID: 24974

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:53

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:53
These have just come out, adn Cheezy is running them on his, they are MASSIVE, 70+mm diameter things, not your average shock.

I still stick with my statement Konis are THE best... Will just have to wait and see what happens with them over next few mths there are some blokes tryin them out at the moment, waiting for feedback.
FollowupID: 25013

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 08:28

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 08:28
Most shockers these days are made by Tenneco (sp?), formerly Monroe and other OE brands, in the USA/Mexico. They are just rebranded to which ever suspension coil manufacturer buys them (OME, TJM, Tough Dog, Ironman, Pedders, etc.). Have a look at where they are manufactured, guarranteed to be USA/Mexico, now look at the stamped model numbers across the same application/different "brands", same numbers....

In answer to the original question, you will most likely find the TJM and OME are the same (and similar to OE quality). Bilstein, Koni and Rancho are independant manufacturers and are one or two steps up the quality ladder.
AnswerID: 34254

Follow Up By: wheeler - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 15:21

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 15:21
Garyinoz,
As is often the case in these types of forums the information you posted is far from correct.
If you took your own advise and took the time to do some homework you would find that Old Man Emu shocks are actually made (and designed in Australia) You are correct in stating that they are made by Teneco, but they are manufactured to Old Man Emu specification. ARB employ engineers whose sole purpose is to design shocks with the correct valving to suit Australian conditions.
TJM shocks or series 2000 as they are known are manufactured by Cofap in Brazil are in fact generic valved shocks refitted with mounts to suit various vehicles.
Your comment that Bilstein Koni and Rancho are one or 2 steps up the quality ladder is also wide of the mark.
Bilstien & Koni while being very high quality units are whats known as mono tube shocks and as a result are not really suitable in 4wd applications as the gas resovoir inhibits full travel of the shaft inside the bore.
Rancho shocks are manufactured in the USA and as a result the valving is generally far too slow (read soft)for Australian conditions. In addition there have been numerous cases where the mounts & bushes have failed due to poor design.
I dont wish to sound as though I am trying to sell OME ( I have no interst apart from the fact that I am small share holder in ARB)
I have used many different brands on my own vehicles over the past 20 years and have found the OME's to be far away the best for our conditions.
Cheers
Ferris
FollowupID: 24675

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 19:46

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 19:46
Not wishing to be pedantic, but,

"...You are correct in stating that they are made by Teneco, but they are manufactured to Old Man Emu specification...", using Australian or US/South American parts? Are they just assembled here with Australian spec valving?

General obsevation is that most of the "generic" brands are so remarkably similar externally, such as and including all "Foam Cell" types coming from one manufacturing plant in Mexico (including OME's versions - look at the casing).

Bilstein/Koni/KYB and others independants manufacture shock absorbers for the front of most vehicles (Ref: 4WD Monthly "2003 4WD Acessory Catalogue)

" ...I have no interst apart from the fact that I am small share holder in ARB...". So, you actually DO have an interest....

Caveat emptor.
FollowupID: 24702

Follow Up By: Savvas - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 08:09

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 08:09
Rancho is owned by Tenneco and is not an independent.
FollowupID: 24716

Follow Up By: Nigel (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 18:49

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 18:49
Ummm from what i see here is no one is giving me a answer

I mean every one says on shock is crapper than the other, it looks like i have to find out the hard way for myself hehehe. But thanks for you help

Nigel
FollowupID: 24975

Reply By: friar - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 20:25

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 20:25
HI
i am also in the market fof new shockys , just had
new springs fitted to rear ,asked the local spring
works that fitted them what shockys they would
recomend they would only say what they would
not use ome&munroe was the comment saying
ome used to be a good shocky but not of late by
the feed back they were getting,more confused
then ever after the comments on this topic
Friar
AnswerID: 34292

Reply By: Member - Ken - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 22:26

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 22:26
Nigel & Friar

This is a piece of information for your useless 4WD trivia bin.

I have Koni's on a 3000kg plus troopy. Everything is fine, excellent as a matter of fact.

I live in Melbourne not far from the 'Koni guy' who I think is the National Importer Distributor. I could be wrong on that so all you protectors of '4WD correctness' put your fingers some where else other than the keyboard.

Any way, two months ago before heading off to the Simpson I rang him up and had a discussion about longevity of the Konis etc etc.

He stated, which I was already aware of - Konis can be be re-built and his business does it it on a regular basis. I don't know whether this is the only place you can get this done or not.

Now get this. He also has some sort of test bed thingo for these suckers, which he will test your Koni Shocks on for free. Yep! free as long as you remove and deliver/ship to him.

Another thing about Koni's is that you can adjust them on the vehicle. No big deal to so.

As I said, just a bit more for your useless information bin.

Regards and don't loose sleep over it.

Ken Robinson

AnswerID: 34309

Sponsored Links