Byfield National Park

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 20:43
ThreadID: 79038 Views:7640 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,
We are planning to head head to Byfield in a month or so for a week of camping. We've never been near the area before and have no idea what to expect.
I've been reading as much as I can find, and it seems most internet posts indicate the tracks are pretty soft and arduous.
We'll be towing our camper trailer behind our (previous shape) TD Hilux. The trailer weighs around a tonne I guess.
Anyone who has been there recently may be able to advise the following:
What is the recommended camp ground in Byfield (National Park or state forest) considering we'll be towing the camper trailer?
I don't mind a bit of fun and rough roads without the trailer, but get a bit worried when its only the 2 of us (me and my wife) if things get hairy.
I look forward to hearing comments and recommendations.
Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cycadcenter - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 23:03

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 23:03
There was a tread about Byfield a month or so ago, do a search and I'm sure you'll find it,

Bruce
AnswerID: 419456

Reply By: Michael A (VIC) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 06:15

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 06:15
We were there about this time last year and am not up to date with current conditions.

In the area before you turn onto the track out to Stockyard Point there are a few camping areas in the state forest with fireplaces (you could get fire wood at the store opposite the school).

The track out there is typical, soft deeply rutted and sandy track. We had no dramas in the Troopy with lower tyre pressures but I have never towed anything so can not comment.

Once out at Stockyard, there is a small community and a well prepared camping area where no fires were allowed. From memory, it was cold and plenty of mozzies !!

That said, we loved it. You can walk down to the small bay to the north and to there south there is a substantial beach that is used for bush camping at warmer times of the year.

This is a typical shot of the track conditions Image Could Not Be Found

A sunrise view Image Could Not Be Found

Enjoy !!
AnswerID: 419468

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 11:41

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 11:41
Image Could Not Be FoundHi There, We were there a bit over a month ago. We were stuffed around with the bookings but that's another story ( I would never rely on phoning as the girls don't have a clue what they are talking about GRR). here is a quick run-down.
Camping with camper.
Stony Creek- must to book.
Red rock camp ground- self booking fantastic spot
Out on the beach there are a couple of camp sites I cant remember if its first in or not. Stockyard is for tents only.
Getting to the beach, there are many steep sections boarded up thank god to make it easier . How ever one section in is long and steep with humps (not boarded) its like a roller coaster. We had a beefy Nissan overtake us hundred miles an hour. Saturday arvos the youngings gather in the orange bowl and party. When we go again we would either stay at red rock or on the beach.
Just make sure you air down.
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
I can make a phone call to a local about the Beach camping regarding bookings if you don't get a response on here first.
AnswerID: 419506

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 11:45

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 11:45
I have a blog on the areas surounding Byfield.
FollowupID: 689695

Follow Up By: Mattykarle - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 06:17

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 06:17
Old Girl - I was hoping you'd respond, because I did read your post about not booking ahead again. Unfortunately, being a 'visitor' membership on exploroz, I was unable to send you a PM, and your Byfield thread had been archived, so I was unable to message you.
Your above reply recommends Stony Creek - there is a spot on the DERM map called 'upper stony creek' - is that the same place? Also Red Rock Camp ground - Red rock looks like a nice spot in your photo! Can you have a camp fire at these camp grounds?
Finally Old Girl - Would you also recommend camping down on the beach with the camper trailer? Your roller coaster pic doesn't look too inviting towing a camper without support vehicle and with a pregnant wife! Once we ditch the camper though it looks like a lot of fun!
Thanks for all the above comments folks. I appreciate your assistance.
Old girl - if you have any additional comments I'l love to hear em.
Regards
FollowupID: 689785

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 19:35

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 19:35
Upper Stony Creek-Stony creek camp ground is the same place in camps 5 it says no caravans but there was a 23" family one there on our last visit. My personal opinion as I too have travelled extensively while pregnant would be to set up camp at Red Rock we stopped and had a chat to a lady that was staying there, she said it was fantastic they just turned up and put their money in a box provided at the info board which you can see in the camps 5 book. It was the May long weekend and there was heaps of spaces available but Stony was chokers due to the swimming hole. At Red Rock you are central to all the places to have a look at. The beach can be done in one day. Stony another. I'm pretty sure there was little individual fire places at red rock. Toilets no showers. A good drive is Hinz Ave Bangalee, Out on the Beach low tide go left up to Sandy Point. Its great watching the tide go out. Apparently people have driven across at low tide (apparently). No beach permit required. Have a look on Google Maps.
Two tips
1. Join EO
2. Enjoy your trip.
Sharon
FollowupID: 689877

Sponsored Links