More Pictures of the Cooper Flooding by Jade

Submitted: Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 14:20
ThreadID: 79059 Views:4696 Replies:8 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
I have again received more great pictures from our ace reporter on the spot, Jade. Those that have stayed at the Cooper Creek Crossing and know the area will know what I am talking able, but it is hard to believe the following pictures.

Those that are heading up there for the Long Weekend will be in for a great treat, as from the Transport SA website, the ferry should up and running by the 8th June. After the pictures, are more details about the regulations for the use of the ferry.

Until my next updates, have a great weekend.

Cheers

Stephen
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found

COOPER CREEK FERRY INFORMATION
Signs displaying condition of use of the ferry will be installed at Marree, Birdsville, Mungeranie and at the ferry crossing. It is anticipated that the ferry will commence operating on 8 June 2010.
Conditions of use of the ferry:
Maximum load for vehicles - 10t gross
Maximum load for cattle on hoof - 8t gross
Maximum length of vehicles is 7.8m - CARAVANS ARE NOT PERMITTED)
Persons use the ferry at own risk
No more than 6 persons permitted on ferry at the one time
No persons permitted in vehicles during crossing
Lifejackets must be worn
Use of ferry prohibited between sunset and sunrise
All persons must follow instructions and conditions in loading as directed by the ferry operator.
Further ferry information is available at www.sa.gov.au/ferryservices

It will only get better.

Cheers
Roxby Downs Special

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 14:38

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 14:38
Hey stephen,

Do you think it would be possible to roll all these postings up into one thread so that others can follow the fascinating situation unfolding and not miss anything. It's getting too hard to follow multiple postings to get an idea of what's happening IMO. Would also make a good thread when archived eventually, possibly even an Event Blog (if they exist :))

Thanks
Andrew
AnswerID: 419534

Follow Up By: Peter Horne [Krakka] - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 16:16

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 16:16
The "thread watch" function does help to some degree.

Peter
FollowupID: 689727

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 21:06

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 21:06
Hi Andrew
I will put them all together and make of Blog, that way it will be the story unfolding with the correct pictures, supplied by Jade.

Cheers

Stephen
Roxby Downs Special

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689757

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 21:17

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 21:17
I have been using the "thread watch" too, (good tool) on them to get the info.

Thanks again Steve.
Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 689761

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 21:39

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 21:39
Hi Russ
Thanks for that, but the post would not be complete without these great pictures from Jade. The Simpson should be unreal by the time you get out there, have a great trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Roxby Downs Special

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689765

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 15:35

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 15:35
Stephen, thanks for keeping everyone updated for months now. You have probably discussed it previously for all I know, but I'm wondering what people with camper trailers will do? Average 4b / trailer longer than 7.8m but with back sticking out would be ok (wheels chocked etc). With demand doubt trailer could go over separately too.

Gee, capacity wise - 1 vehicle at a time, not overnight - gonna be a long queue. Cheers

AnswerID: 419536

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 16:10

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 16:10
out of interest just measured the 80 series and all terrain CT.
from front of front wheel to back of trailer wheel, ie wheelbase of tug and trailer , is 7.7m . overall length is 9.0m

will have to find out if their lenght limit is wheelbase or overall
cheers
howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 689724

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 16:11

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 16:11
I guess it would prudent not to go up there with a camper trailer.
FollowupID: 689725

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 21:15

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 21:15
Hi jdwynn
The best bet would be to give Transport SA a phone call, as they will have the final say as what can go or not go. Give this number a call 8648 5231 and they should be able to help you out. Speaking with Patsy this afternoon and she said that the ferry could be up and running by the end of this weekend. Another interesting thing that Patsy said was that the depth over the road had dropped a little, but the width of the crossing is getting wider. She said that there are still people taking a risk and driving over the flooded road, they are just crazy.

Cheers

Stephen
Roxby Downs Special

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689760

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 16:01

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 16:01
Once again, thank you for all your updates that you have been putting up Stephen, much appreciated.
Great pics by the way

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 419540

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 21:28

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 21:28
Hi Deanna
The reason why I am putting these up to date and accurate posts, is to keep people up to date with information from people that are living right at the site, where the information is 100% correct.

Accurate information is paramount, as I read tonight on the Westprint "Friday Five"
that they is some very false information given by a man called Roger who claims that the Cooper flooded over the Birdsville Track last Saturday 29th May 2010. To post such incorrect facts is not right, as last Saturday the water was not even lapping on the edge of the Birdsville Track. I will be contacting them with the correct information.

The best news that I have heard in the last couple of days is that the ferry should be well and truly running by the time I get there next Friday, we can not wait.

I will keep you updated and a full blog of our venture up there next week.

Cheers

Stephen
Roxby Downs Special

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689764

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 18:51

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 18:51
That is just fantastic Stephen, thank you so much it is much appreciated. Will keep an eye out for your Blog. Is there a cost to this ferry? not that that would stop us but would be nice to have the correct change when arriving if it were so.

Cheers

Deanna

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 690000

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 19:02

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 19:02
Hi Deanna
We can not wait and the car is all packed, just waiting to get in and go. There is no charge to use the ferry. I will give a full run down when we get back, and it sounds like there will be 4 of us from the Forum camping on the Cooper next weekend.

Cheers

Stephen
Roxby Downs Special

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 690004

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 23:04

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 23:04
Have a lovely time all of you, would be nice to be there.

Cheers

Deanna

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 690039

Reply By: patsproule - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 06:36

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 06:36
Sounds like we might end up with the first real outback traffic jam in months to come.

Pat
AnswerID: 419602

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 08:52

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 08:52
Hi Pat
This could be the case, but what a better place for a forced stop. I would rather be sitting on the banks of the Cooper,watching the Cooper flow past and the old ferry taking people across, than in a city traffic jam any day.

Give me the bush any day.

Cheers

Stephen
Roxby Downs Special

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689801

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 18:55

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 18:55
Hi patsproule, funny you should say that, we were planning our Birdsville trip last night and the mention of the traffic jam came up and we all agreed that it would be so nice and relaxing to be held up there for a few days after the races just watching all the vehicles going over, as Stephen says what better place to have a traffic jam LOL

Cheers

Deanna

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 690002

Reply By: Teraa - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 17:31

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 17:31
Local story tells me punt is open tommorow. For some reason the Diamintina shire closed the Birdsville track at Birdsville noone down here knows why, there has been problems with new electronic signs all year causing havoc to local buisiness. SA transport need a kick in the bum right now, big problems overall with road works they seem to be doing more damage than good. The punt just isn't going to cope and loads of people are going to miss out just seeing some of those posts with length measurements. The locals did try knowing that these problems were going to be a problem but they didn't listen. Tell me how do you put your trailer on if your car is on the otherside ? Might wanna be a light trailer or you'll need mates.
AnswerID: 419665

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 17:43

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 17:43
Hi Teraa
Speaking with Patsy yesterday, she said it could be up and running by the end of the weekend, but the Transport SA website said the 8th, being Tuesday. Because the wet weather detour road is closed, Patsy said that some people were still taking the big risk and driving through the flooded waters to get to one side from the other. They must be as game as Ned Kelly, as with water over a metre deep anything could happen.

How did you get on with the supply truck, did it make the trip or was it stranded.

Cheers

Stephen
Roxby Downs Special

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689863

Reply By: Teraa - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 18:29

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 18:29
The supply truck made it but he said he would never do it again very scarey.
It was a metre but as Tom hit it was around 600 wind will play games like that. He went around the long way to go home. It would be getting really dangerous now the pub hasn't seen anyone today but that might be the track being closed. Rex Ellis broke down in the middle of the creek idiot lost his clutch & steering with passengers on board where's the brains. It's the width that scares me and god knows what channels are under the water. Are you that desperate to take the short cut and risk the lives of others just shows you the little regard for the saftey for other some people show. great photos send you some from the Lake soon if I get there.
AnswerID: 419675

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 18:54

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 18:54
Hi Teraa
Thanks for that. Rex is fairly slap happy when it comes to things like that. Like I have said before and as you would know, it is what is under the water that you do not know. A classic example was when St George was under water. There were some good pictures of after the water went down and the bridge was washed away. Imagine thinking you could drive across that and get half way over and the road drops away. There is no turning back.

If the ferry is running or not, I would not even risk the damage to the vehicle and your own personal safety. We should be at Patsy's place around lunch time Friday then out for a good camp site on the banks and just taking it all in. I will be tackling the water, not by vehicle, but by kayak, so it should be great I hope.

Send your pictures and will gladly put them up for you.

Regards

Stephen
Roxby Downs Special

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689876

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 19:01

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 19:01
You mean these photos???

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 690003

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 19:26

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 19:26
Hi Kev
Yes they are the ones that I was speaking about. Just think, you think you have a snorkel and want to show off in front of your mates, thinking that it looks all right, just as Rex would have thought and bingo, right in the middle your worst nightmare.

Thanks for those great pictures.

Cheers

Stephen
Roxby Downs Special

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 690005

Follow Up By: Teraa - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 19:46

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 19:46
Yep that's the ones, luv them photos but now I get to walk through all the water I am called the Irish depth indicator. I know somtimes ya gotta but you need to check and not be risking anyone else. And ya can't be doing it if you are going to hurt ya beloved car.
FollowupID: 690008

Reply By: Teraa - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 19:38

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 19:38
Yes those photos from St George were great examples.
I saw some recent arieal photos yesterday there is some nice lakes for kayaking going on down The Cooper. Have a great trip I'll be on a tinnie on the Warburton seeing if I can get to the Lake I might be too late it's pretty low now.
AnswerID: 419683

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 20:34

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 20:34
Hi Teraa
Have a great time on the Warburton and if you are around Patsy's place drop in for a chat.

Cheers

Stephen
Roxby Downs Special

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689886

Follow Up By: peterll - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 10:35

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 10:35
Hi Teraa,

Yes we know each other...lol

ok so you mention Tom went back the long way around. Can you tell me how he did that ? If I can organise a flight I was going to bring a small truck up from Adelaide with some "stuff" for Phil and Pam.

Peterll (the guy from canada)

FollowupID: 689943

Follow Up By: Teraa - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 19:42

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 19:42
I have no idea of his route maybe Phil can help you or could find out anyway.
FollowupID: 690007

Reply By: Member - John B2 (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 20:32

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 20:32
We crossed Cooper Creek on 1st June and camped on the south bank that night, it was amazing to see the difference in water level overnight

Please excuse quality was taken on a normal camera

We missed the Mitchell Falls due to rain, but this was very exciting

Cheers,
John
AnswerID: 419835

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 21:08

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 21:08
Hi John
Fantastic, it would have been great to be there to see it unfold. Just as well you were not a day later, as the water was over a metre deep and it would have been a long detour.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Stephen
Roxby Downs Special

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 690030

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)