INTERCOOLER GQ

Submitted: Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 22:59
ThreadID: 7906 Views:4609 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I WOULD LIKE TO FIT AN INTERCOOLER TO MY GQ PATROL 94 IT WILL BE TORBOCHARGED SOON.
WOULD A GU INTERCOOLER FIT EG. OUT OF THE BONET OR WOULD IT BE BETER TOP GO OUT THE FRONTWITH AN AFTER MARKET JOB, WOULD I HAVE TO REMOVE THE PRE CLEANER ???
I HAVE READ THE FORUM AND THIS SEEMS TO BE A COMON PRACTICE THIS CANT BE A GOOD THING AS THE AIR CLEANER ON TOP OF THE MOTOR DOESNT HAVE MUCH OF A SURFACE AREA TO TRAP DUST AND WOULD CLOG VERY QUICKLY.
WHAT FILTER SYSTEM WOULD YOU RECOMEND ???.
IVE TRIED FINER FILTERS ON MY SURF HAD TO CLEAN THE FILTER EVERY 2 WEEKS AS BUILD UP WAS BAD (LOTS OF DUSTY WORK NO RAIN)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chrisfrd - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 17:41

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 17:41
Firstly, It's BAD FORM to use capitals. it's considered as shouting!

Secondly, the best way to mount an intercooler to the 2.8L RE Diesel engine is to use a bonet scoop from a GU, with the Intercooler mounting on the intake side, using a mounting system from a GU 2.8 RE. You will have the intercooler sitting across the engine, with the intake and output pipes east-west in the engine bay.

If you get the factory cooler from the 240Z turbo, Nissan GTR(s) Skyline or something like that, then it will mate up to the system, but if you don't want to be cutting the Fu*k out of your bonnet, then go for a cut-down truck intercooler, mounted through the grille. Just make sure you get a good bullbar!

The filters, hrm... I do LOTS of dusty work and have never had a problem with filters clogging. If you have a snorkel fitted, then you shouldn't be getting heaps of dust unless you are following too close or in bulldust. The seriviceable filters are much better, but the pre-cleaners tend to restrict air-flow too much.
AnswerID: 34282

Follow Up By: REX - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 17:53

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 17:53
sorry about caps lock
didnt know
my gq is 4.2 l so one out of the bonnet would be best and easy to instal?????
not worried about holes in bonnet
FollowupID: 24698

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 20:59

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 20:59
See AWILL4x4 on this list, he makes custom intercoolers for GQ's. I have photos of his work here if you like.

The one off a GU is SMALL, small volume... The one on the 4.2 apart from costing you $3000 is the same one off the 2.8, which is SMALL....

The Safari one is also good, but goes infront of the engine. This is what you have to figure out..

There are differences in front and top mount, both have LOTS of + And -
www.are.com.au for more on this.

Andrew makes an over the engine one, same as the 3.0/4.2 but VERY LARGE VOLUME!!! :D Ive seen his work, and if I could find permanent work, Id hand him the $ tomorrow and have on for the Robe weekend.

You use the piping from a DTS IC and the GU Bonnet scoop, very sweet.

Anyway if you want more info I can give you his Email addy.
AnswerID: 34298

Follow Up By: chrisfrd - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:45

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:45
Hi there truckster,

Not to ram this down your throat, but the size of an intercooler doesn't determine it's effectiveness. The efficiency of an intercooler is in it's design and the capability of it to remove heat from the air.

The heat exchanger that the GU patrol's use are exactly the same as the 200ZX sports cars in japan. These were designed to remove approximately 500BTU/s from the air. That's good for around 250KW of actual engine performance!

The larger the intercooler, the more fragile and cumbersome they are. On top of that, the greater the volume doesn't translate nicely into a greater heat-exchanger performance either. In fact it's a case of diminishing returns as the internal friction of the intercooler inhibits air flow to the intake manafold.

On top of that, an oversized intercooler makes you look like a wanker!
FollowupID: 24798

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 23:15

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 23:15
Go and ask Birdy about his Grill replacement IC in his 220kw GQ Petrol...

You can hold the return outlet the air is that cool....

YMMV
FollowupID: 24911

Sponsored Links