Nissan Navarra D40 Cracking in the front undergaurds

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 17:31
ThreadID: 79092 Views:3433 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Just wanting to know for a friend of mine has anyone else had cracking in the front undergaurds of a Navara? They have travelled over Dirt Roads eg Gibb, Suvanna Way. The Car has only done 100,000 Ks.

My friends have an extended warrenty with Nissan Who will not pay for repairs to the vehicle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruiser .- Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 17:43

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 17:43
Andrea11,

Sorry to hear of your friends problems, but Nissan don't pay for anything that is wrong, just look at the patrol engine saga.

They have ya money then don't care.

Cheers,

Cruiser
AnswerID: 419668

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 12:58

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 12:58
Spoken like a true Yotaphile... I've had an MQ and GU patrols and now a D40 and Nissan service has been excellent.....but then again I haven't broken anything much. Had a faulty torque convertor in the D40 and that was replaced immediately with no questions asked.
FollowupID: 689954

Reply By: montana - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 17:44

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 17:44
a lot of other things are not covered by warranty .you see your friend made the same mistake i did - using it as a 4wd, something it isnt ment to be used for according to nissan
AnswerID: 419669

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 13:02

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 13:02
Montana....I use mine mainly for off road. This time last year did a trip from Queanbeyan-across the Nullarbor to Perth - up to Steep Point - on to Exmouth - back to the Pilbara - on to Marble Bar - down the Telfer Mine Rd - across the Wapet - Gary Highway - Gunbarrel Highway - Great Central Rd - across the Simpson and visited all the Corners......no problems and apart from still trying to clean the red dust out of all the nooks and crannies....going strong. Only problems I've had is a torque convertor that was fixed immediately by Nissan.
FollowupID: 689956

Reply By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 21:15

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 21:15
Patrol22, you are extremlely lucky that is the only problem you have had. many many people have complained of many problems with them and my best mate is one of them. i tried to talk him out of it when he first looked at them but dollar for dollar it won. it has NEVER been off road and he drives like an old woman and it has eaten 5 clutches all proven NOT to be because of his driving style, diff issues, door handles and lock issues, electrical gremlins and all of these have happened numerous times and continued to go back to the dealer. it is now out of warranty but even before that he was sick and tired of going to get it fixed. so like i said you are lucky, and yes i do drive a toyota and i have had issues with it and toyota/dealers. i am not one eyed but i bought a toyota over a nissan purely because of nissans bad attitude and poor products(ZD30 for instance), sometimes toyota is not much better.
AnswerID: 419845

Follow Up By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 21:17

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 21:17
also forgot about the chassis fractures around the mounts
FollowupID: 690032

Reply By: kev.h - Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 10:45

Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 10:45
You must be real happy with the replies so far as not one is relevant to your question
yes they do crack the inner guards on rough roads ( as do many other brands) especially with 2nd battery ( assuming left side cracks)
Things to look for are
1 - loose front body mounts under the headlights and under front of cab
2 - excess load on inner guard 2nd battery
if all looks ok its metal fatigue not a lot you can do about it as the inner guards are designed to flex as the chassis flexes
when you get it repaired make sure they do not reinforce it too much because that only transfers the the load to the firewall which may then fatigue and crack
cheers Kev
AnswerID: 419897

Follow Up By: Andrea11 - Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 10:52

Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 10:52
Thanks Kev,

Do you believe then Nissan are wrong in not coming to the party to pay or is this problem just your normal run of the mill wear and tear after going over such types of roads. I do understand that you can't expect a car to be in showroom condition after doing some rough corrugated roads. Your thoughts would be appreciated....

Kind Regards
Andrea
FollowupID: 690071

Follow Up By: kev.h - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 18:11

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 18:11
Hi Andrea
Mine had 170,000 by the time it cracked so i just fixed it
As for nissan depends on age and mileage - when you say extended warranty i assume its outside the normal warranty - then you will only be covered for mechanical breakdown
If you do persue nissan they will pullout all the old arguments like mistreatment, rough roads, never seen it before, so sometimes its just too much trouble if its not too bad i'd probably just fix it
Cheers Kev
FollowupID: 690364

Follow Up By: Andrea11 - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 17:55

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 17:55
Thanks Kev,

Nissan have told my friends that they will not come to the party. Our friends are wanting to take it further. But I seriously don't like their chances....But I suppose it's something they need to try....Thanks for your advice and information Kev it has been passed on.

Regards
Andrea
FollowupID: 690823

Sponsored Links