Front or rear mount toolbox & spare tyre?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 12:12
ThreadID: 79108 Views:3305 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Currently my spare tyre is not mounted on the van anywhere and I have a largish tool box I would also like to mount onto the van. Combined weight of the toolbox (with tools) and tyre is 60kg. Should I mount this on a bumper bar on the rear of the van or on a similar bar that crosses the A frame on the draw bar at the front of the van?
My van is a tandem axel 23ft. I'm leaning towards the front.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fugwurgin - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 12:28

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 12:28
i would lean toward the front aswell, mainly because i like the look of them there instead of "hanging" off the back. and 23' is pretty long aready.
the only thing you will need to watch is the total towball down weight, check your specs of the towball rating and check your current down weight of your van, can you afford to add another 60kgs? also does the extra 60kgs keep within the tow rating of vehicle and towbar?
AnswerID: 419770

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 17:04

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 17:04
I carried the tools in the car as nothing worse than being away on a day trip ,having a problem and tools are on the van.
My toobox was well over 30kg as well and wouldnt put any extra weight on rear of van other than a spare tyre

Some have mounted spare under the rearof the van with the same type of holder as on a 100 ser cruiser.
Shouldnt be hard to weld one in to the chassis.

AnswerID: 419798

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 19:59

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 19:59
Split them and put the tyre on the back and the tool box on the A-Frame. Seems possible the tyre and tool box will weigh similar and therefore not change your towball down weight too much. If this is not possible, more weight up front is the next best scenario in my opinion (as opposed to more weight off the back).

Cheers, Trevor.
AnswerID: 419829

Sponsored Links