I just bought some 180 mm 100w Roo lites with clear protector
I see that you can also get blue and yellow covers for them as well
What is the difference & what conditions are they used for
thanks in advance
warren aka aussichef
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SDG - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 18:14

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 18:14
As far as I knew covers are just there to protect your lens. They serve no purpose.
For the lower wattage the yellow could have been used in fog
Blue is illegal to have on the front of your vehicle. Emergency vehicles only.

At 100w you may melt the cover if you use the lights while they are on. At least you use to. Have not tried in a few years.
AnswerID: 419812

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 18:27

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 18:27
I had blue lense covers on a set of 10 inch bull lights that where only there to stop stones breaking them during the day, they where taken off for night time duty's.
Other reply is proberly right in saying that the blue covers may be illegal,

Shane
AnswerID: 419816

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 18:29

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 18:29
I have the bue lens covers on my Lightforce 240's and I think it is a clearer light than the standard clear lens.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 689994

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 18:39

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 18:39
Hi Kev, mine where a dark blue and just cut down the light, almost to the extent of making them useless, good thick covers though.
Shane
FollowupID: 689998

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 18:46

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 18:46
Shane,

I have the Crystal Blue covers, one spot and one combo, as per this link.

I am thinking about changing the spot to a dispersion one.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 689999

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 19:46

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 19:46
Don't change em Kev, just get another spot and spread beam and bang the spots up top leaving room for the spreads on the bar. Bloody beautiful!!! you'll be burning roos eyes from a thousand paces before you know it.

Just come back from out St George the other night and was surprised that 5hrs of night driving and not one roo??? must be a lot of feed in the paddocks keeping them away from the verges of the road.

Hi Shane.

Warren, Kev is on the money with his answers to your questions if you ask me. Yellow for fog, blue for more like HID light or whiter light.

Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 690009

Follow Up By: Member - Steve M (SA) - Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 09:30

Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 09:30
I also have some Lightforce 240's with blue filters - they filter out too much light and reduce the output to the extent that the 240's are no better than high beam.

I removed them on the yesterday in preparation for a trip over the long weekend. Gone back to the clear filters - 1 spot and 1 spread (because one of the spreads was stolen).

FollowupID: 690065

Reply By: fugwurgin - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 18:56

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 18:56
hi
i actually thought the blue lense covers were "filters" used for snow and very heavy rain, it doesnt project a blue light so it isnt illegal, somehow it makes it less reflective on the snow, the same as yellow is used for fog. the yellow does dull the beam down but is more effective in the fog. i have a set of ipf 900xs with clear covers, they dont melt and the only thing they filter is the stones! possibly the cheaper style light covers may melt which makes them pretty useless if you ask me.
AnswerID: 419821

Reply By: dirttracker - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 19:43

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 19:43
Clearly some haven't looked at driving lights for awhile. Many driving lights now come with clear covers. They are a very high grade of plastic, polycarbonate I believe, and are not the old perspex. Many OEM headlights also have plastic lenses, some even reflectors, and they are fine unless you put in non UV filtered globes. This tends to darken the reflectors and makes the plastic covers many put over headlights brittle. Have confidence in the high quality light covers and look at the Lightforce website where they shoot their covers with a shotgun to demonstrate their toughness.
AnswerID: 419825

Reply By: Member - David C1 (VIC) - Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 10:33

Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 10:33
I heard on the radio the other morning that the blue filters act as a stimulant for the eyes or brain or both, cant recall. But they may assist in night driving long distances. Any truckies with an opinion on this?
AnswerID: 419893

Reply By: sweetwill - Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 10:51

Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 10:51
Gday Aussichef.
the different colours are meant for different conditions ie,. dust,fog,ect,ect, I can't remember what any more as I through the box out that the lens covers came in cheers bill.
AnswerID: 419899

Sponsored Links