First 'extended' stay in van....40 mins from Coffs

Submitted: Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 01:18
ThreadID: 79132 Views:3059 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Thanks for all the help with picking a park near Coffs, we are going to try out White Albatross at Nambucca Heads. Have a site on the lagoon edge for approx 10 days. Only 40 mins from work so I can travel back for the 1 day for work and other days for kid commitments.

Still having problems with our new van re hot water system (which we didn't realise was a problem). Replaced the diode and it heats up beautifully but turn on the taps and nothing but cold water comes out. Pump is working, and we know there is hot water, just doesn't seem to want to make its way out :( Luckily the park has an amenities block and power etc. Still sorting out a battery issue...such as we don't have one! I guess this is what all these small trips are about, sorting out the glitches.

Going to set up the annexe and will have daughter and friend in there, hopefully they will be warm enough on the cots and with doonahs. The park is even pet friendly so our very spoilt, old staffy Zoe will be coming for a few days too.

We are now working out the minimum basic requirements to stock the van with and I'm sure I'll forget something. Hubby is giving me the speech on necessity only and not adding to the weight. Im thinking of blow up chairs for the girls in the annexe!!!

Any suggestions or comments on the park welcome. So far only thing I haven't found out is if they have internet but I have my mobile broadband so am praying for good reception.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: carlsp - Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 07:18

Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 07:18
Inside the hot water cover on the outside of the van there will be a pressure relief valve.

Turn it on , by pullup the silver lever. This will allow hot water to flow out to the ground. In this way you will know if there is hot water in the system.

If yes there must be a on / off tap somewhere between there and the sink / bathroom tap. Most likely under the sink. Just a matter of finding it.
AnswerID: 419870

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 07:45

Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 07:45
Or maybe someone has the plumbing connected the wrong way around. Maybe cold water is connected to hot tap.

Alan
FollowupID: 690052

Reply By: John and Lynne - Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 08:13

Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 08:13
Have a great time! I am sure the hot water will turn out to be a simple matter as already suggested. One thing about caravan parks - there are usually several handy men around only too keen to help novices! We were very grateful to several as we made all the usual embarrassing mistakes!
It is a VERY good idea to have a first rip close to home and near shops! You should be comfortable in that CP and it is a good location. We haven't stayed there but have checked it out for future reference and it looked good. We often stay at the park in Tuncurry (relly visiting) owned by the same people and they do an excellent job there)
Don't worry too much about taking everything you might need. You will work it out as you go and you are close to home! Begin organising a Check List and after a couple of trips you will have packing down to a fine art. It is a good idea to gradually stock the van with basics like crockery and cooking equipment and linen so after a while you only have to throw in a few clothes and go! Check out the Op Shops and markets for genuine bargains (not junk that you will hate!). Corelle crockery is light weight and nice to use, apparently unbreakable and microwave proof - you can usually find it 'on sale' at Big W or K Mart etc.
Enjoy your van! Lynne
AnswerID: 419874

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 09:05

Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 09:05
If you have 240 volt selected and are hooked up to water you shouldnt need a pump turned on at all.
Maybe thats the trouble

The water should just flow from mains pressure

Is the hotwater gas only or gas and electric.

If both to use the electric you have to turn a little switch on in the lower left corner of the hotwater unit. IF gas wanted turn it off.

Its not recommende you use both at once.

AnswerID: 419881

Reply By: Selina V - Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 20:44

Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 20:44
The hot water is gas only (I'd love gas and electric). We had already tried the pressure valve and hot water was coming out of there fine. So tomorrow we will have another check for a switch. Also spoke to a plumber at work and he suggested a switch in the pipes too. That maybe because it hadn't been used that the pipes only run from the tanks etc So we will have to try following the pipes to see where they lead.

I'm really looking forward to staying at the park. It seems lovely and clean and well maintained (we scoped out our site). I'm expecting to forget lots :) Thankfully, I know the shops will be close by :)

I will update on the stay and post on the sites any information, good or bad. Hopefully all good. I'm so excited I don't even care if it rains the whole time :) If anyone happens to be in the neighbourhood, drop me an email....I'll be happy to meet up with fellow explorers.
AnswerID: 419970

Sponsored Links