Do I need a Permit for Cape Flattery and Bathurst Head?

I am planning to go to Cape Flattery and Bathurst Head (near Cape Melville)camping. I have read a bit about these places but no mention of permiits needed. To get to both places, the map I have shows the track as passing through aboriginal land. Does anyone know whether permits are needed and if so, where to obtain them? (no guesses please, only factually info).
TIA
Tony J
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Polaris - Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 11:40

Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 11:40
The National Park and Wildlife Service (NPWS) now comes under the Department of Environment and Resource Management (DERM) and yes, you will need permits for the Cape Melville National Park.
... follow the link to
Cape Melville NP.

Great place to visit - we have been to Bathurst Bay, Cape Melville and Ninian Bay.
We did the loop in from Cooktown via Starcke, and out via Kalpowar.

Tuco in Cairns
AnswerID: 419903

Follow Up By: Member - John R (cQld) - Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 17:54

Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 17:54
Ask about the Barramundi Ck. crossing condition before you leave Cape Melville if you're coming out via Kalpowar.
There's a good fresh water creek just before you get to the NP campsites at Cape Melville.

Cheers, John
FollowupID: 690118

Follow Up By: Tony J - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 15:30

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 15:30
Hi Tuco, thanks for your reply. My map must now be out of date as it show Bathurst Head west of Cape Melville and well out of the national park. Have the park boundaries been changed??

TonyJ
FollowupID: 690213

Follow Up By: Member - John R (cQld) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 18:25

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 18:25
Hi Tony, your answers can be found on the Cape Melville NP map, click here. In brief, Kalpowar Station has been chopped up into NPs and aboriginal lands.

Cheers, John
FollowupID: 690367

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 20:03

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 20:03
Polaris

Every link keeps coming up with self registration at Lakefield. If you go up the Starkie Track, as we will be, its a hell of a detour over to Lakefield to register.

Where other than the ranger station at Lakefield can you register?

Phil
FollowupID: 690387

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 16:15

Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 16:15
Tony - You can still camp on the Cape Flattery Beach without a permit, it can be very windy and you most likely have to get in behind the dunes. The beach is quite e few kms long so easy to find a spot. There is a fresh water spring that flows up near the high tide line 3/4 the way up the beach that will give you ample water - There is no access to the mine or the Jetty. You can drive under the conveyor belt through a culvert to access a beach on the other side out of the wind. The mouth of the Mcivor is hard to get too and only done at low tide, also very windy and too many sand flies for me. It does not really fish good so you will do better on the beach.

High tide comes right up to the dunes so you have to travel at least an hr each side of the high. Be aware that it is some sandhill climb off the beach, especially the beach the other side of Flattery. Best done in the cool of the day and tyres down to a max of 18psi.

The beach the other side of the conveyor fishes great from the rocks South of where you get on to the beach, also a great spot to camp. Lots of live bait can be caught to go after the big ones.

There is a couple of creek crossings on the road into Flattery, keep left on the second one, it can be deep on the right (Fresh water)

The Mt Webb Wakooka Road that takes you to Cape Melville this way is Now open - see link below for warnings

Road Condition

It is a slow rugged track and I would say with the amount of people that used it when it was wet and closed, probably dug up as well. You will need a permit for Cape Melville.

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 419936

Reply By: Member - Scott H (QLD) - Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 17:01

Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 17:01
Hi Tony,

If you time, be sure to check out Elim Beach too ...

http://ozmatrix.com/?p=97

Regards,

Scott
AnswerID: 419945

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 20:10

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 20:10
Lets try it this way.

Every link I have tried for camping at Cape Melville registration keeps coming up with self registration at Lakefield Ranger Station.

If you go up the Starkie Track, from Cooktown as we will be, its a hell of a detour over to Lakefield to register.

Where other than the ranger station at Lakefield can you register? Anyone!!!!!!

Phil
AnswerID: 420204

Follow Up By: Member - John R (cQld) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 20:23

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 20:23
One suggestion: the forms are not NP specific, so get a self-registration form from wherever, fill it in when you get to Cape Melville, and hand over the money envelope to any ranger you see while camping (not likely to be seen though), or drop it into the slot at Lakefield on your way out.

Cheers, John

FollowupID: 690393

Follow Up By: Tony J - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 17:35

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 17:35
Hi,

I am not planning to camp at Cape Melville. I am planning to camp at Bathurst Head (west of cape melville and according to my map, NOT in the nat park but through Aboriginal land).
FollowupID: 690490

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 19:17

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 19:17
John

Registration instructions mention a token or something. The form may be identical but I guarantee the token (or whatever) will be site specific.

Tony

I fully understand you are looking at Bathurst Head.

Registration for where we are camping is also through NPWS Ranger station at Lakefield. But that is a long way from how we are getting to our camp-site. We do not want a 100Kms plus detour just to register. There must be another avenue.

No worries. We will keep trying.

Thanks guys

Phil
FollowupID: 690511

Follow Up By: Member - John R (cQld) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 21:19

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 21:19
Phil, are you referring to "A camping tag with your booking number" in the registration details? This can just be the cover slip from the self registration form. If you really need a token that would be a new innovation since we were there.

Tony, if you look at the Cape Melville map I linked to above, you'll see Bathurst Heads is now in the Kalpowar Recreation Reserve, so most likely camping permits apply as for NPs, etc. Re permits to drive through the Aboriginal lands, I don't think so. Cook Shire issues road reports on the Cape Melville road, as I've seen these up on the notice board at Lakefield. Besides, these roads were there long before the latest land allocations. Not 100% proof, I know. You could always ring Lakefiled NP if you still want to check.

Cheers, John
FollowupID: 690538

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Jun 11, 2010 at 08:35

Friday, Jun 11, 2010 at 08:35
Oops. I was going from memory and should have checked. I think you have it right. Its the "cover slip" or something like that.

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 690574

Follow Up By: Tony J - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 08:06

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 08:06
Hi Fellows,

Thanks for the info. My maps are out of date so I'll buy a new one, Looks like Nat Park fees are payable but transit permits are not. Thanks again. Leaving tomorrow for 8 weeks, See Ya's
TonyJ
FollowupID: 690702

Sponsored Links