TVan Campers

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 20:22
ThreadID: 7915 Views:2019 Replies:9 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Folks,

Had a look at a Tvan, at Kratzmans, in Brissy, last Monday. Like the idea of the hard roof over the bed, and not needing set up any canvas for an overnight stay. They look like a baby van, with the bum cut off, and they are NOT cheap.

Anyone got one, or used one, that comment on them. The suspension looks the "ducks guts'. Thank you,

Hooroo...

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 21:51

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 21:51
Friend has one paid like $32k for it and he thinks its the ducks guts too, hire one for a couple of weeks to see if they would be worth looking into, they hold their value very wellLaterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
AnswerID: 34305

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 20:03

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 20:03
Thanks, Bonz, they look to be well made. Hooroo...

FollowupID: 24758

Reply By: Brad - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 23:00

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 23:00
for a little more, an Ultimate offers a lot more.

http://www.ultimatecampers.com.au/

regards,
brad
AnswerID: 34312

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 17:16

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 17:16
and for alot less, we picked up our brand new off road Kamga Camper yesterday and I think we will be more than happy with it. Each to thier own but I don't know where people get off paying $39000 for an ultimate just for camping. Our Kanga will be just as good, a heep more room in it and alot nicer looking.
Karen
(Just my two bobs worth anyway)Kind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
FollowupID: 24742

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 18:09

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 18:09
Geoff and Karen ??? you say each to their own yet in the same sentence you wonder where people get off paying 39 or so just to go camping,,, no different to paying x amount for a 4x4 and then x amount modifying the same to go " off road " only x amount of time per year,,,,yes definitly each to their own ,and to their own sense of value, some have champagne tastes on a beer budget where as others can afford the champagne.
FollowupID: 24747

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 20:09

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 20:09
Thanks, Brad. Have looked at the Ultimates, as well as Trak Shak, some time back, but trying to get away from the canvas roof. Have spent a few anxious nights camped until canvas, with high winds, so not keen to repeat the experience over the next few years.

Hooroo...
FollowupID: 24759

Follow Up By: Brad - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 21:04

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 21:04
Have a look at
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers
where there is a lot of helpful advice
regards,
Brad
FollowupID: 24766

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 22:01

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 22:01
By the way Publican, It was only me who wrote that response, and I didn't know you would get so up in the air over it,,,,,sorry,,,,,,LOL. Sleep on it baby, you'll get over it. Why would you have to pay x amount for a 4wd, and then need to modify it to go off road. I thought 4wd's were meant for off road anyway

KAREN ONLYKind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
FollowupID: 24773

Follow Up By: petprass - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 10:27

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 10:27
Hey Pub - don't you hate it when you are calmly trying to correct someones conflicting statements and then be told to "....get over it" That always tells me that the person making the statements is just not aware of what they are saying.

Peter
FollowupID: 24794

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 06:25

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 06:25
Bob we have had most big name brands away with us . They all have there good and bad points all seem to handle the cape and last for the trip. As the person above said see if you can hire one first and see if you fit in with it. If you look a the cover of the new hema cape york map on the the front page of explore oz down the right hand side thats ron moons truck and he drags one around with him . I have bumped into him and spoken to him in the cape and he has no complaints with the camper.
All the bestCape York Connections
AnswerID: 34320

Follow Up By: Foss - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 18:51

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 18:51
I would imagine it's very difficult to complain about a free patrol wagon & Tvan to swan about the country in(good lucky to them both). BTW, the one moony carts around is one of the very first. It's done some K's.

30K is a lot of money.

I had a Tvan. nice to tow, Unequivically the best suspension setup of ANY trailer on the market. IMHO better than an ultimate, bed doesn't get canvas on it and kitchen is on the outside, nice for cuppa stops. Other good point is you can get in and close it behind you, do that in an Ultimate. I mention ultimate here as a reference as they are the comparable other product, not because I want to pick on them.

The only thing I really didn't like was all that money sitting around between big holidays. Once every couple of years big holidays I mean.
FollowupID: 24751

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 20:14

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 20:14
Thanks, Eric, still a good endorsement, even if Moony did get it for nothing.

Thanks your comments too, Foss, but it no different to someone buying a real van, and doing one or two trips a year. At least it's there for when you want it.

Hooroo...
FollowupID: 24761

Reply By: Member - Bob L - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 18:50

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 18:50
Bob Y
Have had a Tvan since February and find it easy to tow and set up. We normaly only stop overnight and have only set the annex up once to see how it works.
On a trip to Kangaroo Island found it much more convenient than our friends pole tent. Tows well behind 2.8 Patrol with economy much the same as when the Shipshape was on the roof.
I would not put the "ULTIMATE" in the same class as A Tvan as they are completely different concepts.
We keep our bed area clear of luggage and if its wet and miserable can pull up and be in bed within minutes. If the canvas is wet it stows away without everything else getting wet.
Anyway I'm convinced - each to his own.
Any specific questions ?
Cheers Bob L

AnswerID: 34375

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 20:22

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 20:22
Thanks, Bob. Can't think of any questions off hand, but you have confirmed some of my thoughts about the product. Thought economy might be reasonable, because the van isn't much higher than a Landcruiser/Patrol.

With one daughter still to finish school next year, we're not likely to be more than tyre kicking, for the next 2-3 years, Ahh, well, lets the super build up a bit more, I suppose.

Thanks again,
regards,
Bob.
FollowupID: 24762

Reply By: Old Soldier - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:13

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:13
G'day Bob,

I've just gone out of the off road scene after some years wandering the bush, but if I was going to buy another off road trailer I would have no hesitation.....

T Van.

A mate of mine has one and as you said - they're the "ducks gut"

An important thing to remember also is these are the people who build military trailers, and their expertise in that area is well documented.

Their website is worth a look - especially the military trailer section.

http://www.tracktrailer.com/

To quote an old Aussie saying: they are built as tough as a brick sh*t house :) :) :)

Enjoy your decision mate

DennisN
AnswerID: 34423

Reply By: JimB - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:18

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:18
G'day Bob,

Yes mate, the Moons are quite happy with theirs. You could consult with them directly about it, guidebooks.com.au, (their books are advertised on ExploreOz). The don't sit around when travelling and were very happy with its performance throughout Cape York. That is a good endorsement.

2-3 years wait might still be a good idea as they are only a young idea (3 years old). I saw the original prototype at the Rosehill Camping show in 2000. I'm sure they are continuing to refine it. The only downside to all these campers with the slide-out-the-side kitchen (we have a Heaslip and the same kitchen style) is that you do need to whack the awning up to use it in the rain. Apart from that it is extremely convenient.

Top suspension and Track have a top reputation (build trailers for the army)

JimB
AnswerID: 34425

Reply By: Steve Mc - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 10:15

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 10:15
Hi All I think you will find Moonie payed for his Patrol & T-van, all extra's would have been supplied on the proviso of a covering story for the product. EG- Rock- Crawler gears supplied by Marks 4wd Adaptors.

Cheers Steve

P.S For constant hard off-road touring & comfort the T-Van is hard to beat?
AnswerID: 34437

Follow Up By: Foss - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 13:37

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 13:37
G'Day Steve.

The Patrol is a long term loaner from Nissan which Ron took possetion of when he left the editorial possition at 4x4 Aust, even said so in his parting comments. The Tvan you would have to ask Alan or Barry at Track about, you might be right on that count.

Cheers

Foss
FollowupID: 24807

Reply By: Steve Mc - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 16:29

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 16:29
Foss -I must have got that one wrong, ran into Ron & Viv at Carnegie Stn in Sept 2001 they had just left or were about to leave 4x4 Aust & were doing a story for the Outback magazine. He was running around in a T/D 100 series at the time & couldn't keep shocks up to it. Set No- 4, Bilsteins done the trick?? In conversation he mentioned he just ordered a new gold coloured 4.2TD patrol and a T-van as he now was freelance writing & travelling a lot more than normal, instead of being desk bound as a editor.

If he didn't have pay for it good-luck to him.

Cheers Steve
AnswerID: 34477

Reply By: Steve - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 16:40

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 16:40
Just back from a 10 week trip through the centre,Kimberlys,top end and Central Qld in the Jackaroo and T van.Both performed great.The T van ingested very little dust and was good to tow.Only needed to replace the shocky rubbers when I got home.No need to drop the tent down very often,in fact only did 3 times.Because it opens from the back and the tent goes up that way too ,it can be squeezed into van width locations.Cost $25000
AnswerID: 34721

Sponsored Links