Thinking of purchasing Rodeo 2004 turbo diesel crew cab

Submitted: Monday, Jun 07, 2010 at 20:25
ThreadID: 79158 Views:13566 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi there,just wondering of what to look for in one of these vechiles,is there anything in particular to watch out for,any postive or negative thoughts on these vechiles.Thanks for your help
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fugwurgin - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 09:10

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 09:10
hi

i have a late 2003 RA TD. great truck, solid unit, i find it very comfy. I chose the rodeo because of its reputation, lots of tradies have them, the motor is isuzu and they have awesome low range 4x4.
great fuel economy around 9-10l\100kms. its not the fastest truck on the market @ 96kw its a bit of a slug taking off, but still cruises on the highway with no dramas.
i have a LT model with abs so dual battery has to go in the tub.

if you find one take the vin number into your local holden dealer and ask them to run it through their system to see if it has had all recalls and ecu updates.
i have heard of a few people having trouble with the push-button 4x4 system sticking on, but its no too hard to fix.
i test drove the triton, navara and the hilux- rodeo definitely more bang for your buck.

although if you are planning to tow a large caravan maybe give a rodeo miss or consider a DP chip and exhaust to up the horsies a bit.
there is a 4x4 forum elsewhere on the net that has great info from member who have rodeos. browse through the posts and weigh it up.
good lucklink to Holden Rodeo forum
AnswerID: 420023

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 10:00

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 10:00
Got a 2004 , here is a thought for you to ponder , pre o4 models had the intercooler mounted above the motor and a bonnet scoop ,,, 04 models the intercooler is mounted at the radiator ,,, 05 models thru to the current d-max- colorado all have the intercooler mounted above the motor and a bonnet scoop,,,,does that tell you something ?? The 3 button 4x4 system has and can develop a hiccup , was a recall a few yrs ago , a simple fix if needing 4x4 and the full fix has not been done is : Ign off , press and hold all 3 buttons in while switching Ign on without starting vehicle , hold buttons for 30+ seconds , release buttons , turn Ign off , then start vehicle as normal and select 4x4 while in neutral in a manual and in neutral [ not park ] in an auto.
Would I buy another 04 ?? NO , an 05 YES.
AnswerID: 420032

Follow Up By: fugwurgin - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 10:41

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 10:41
hi alloy

late 03 models with a 3.0l td had a front mount intercooler too. the top mount intercooler was brought back in the CRD motors in early 2007, totally different motor @ 120kw. this motor could fit an intercooler on top where as the previous motor, it was more beneficial to place it in the front that way a full size intercooler could be used.
I am just wondering why you wouldnt buy an 04 but an 05 as there were no changes?
The fact that the later models have top mount intercoolers only tell me they have different motors- and yes probably better as they are newer and more powerful, it doesnt mean the earlier 3.0l wasnt anygood.

And i thought the button-reset sequence you mentioned was a "fix" introduced in the later 05 models as a substitute for taking the drivers seat out and manually bridging wires on the box. has it happened to you in your 04? does this rest work for you?

fugs
FollowupID: 690187

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 12:07

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 12:07
fugwurgin , mine is a Feb 04 built with front mount intercooler , F/inlaw has Aug 03 built and intercooler on top , B/inlaw has June 05 built and intercooler on top , all exactly same motor bar intercooler position , that seems to imply that the factory 'tried' a different layout for the intercooler and then reverted to the original position , has to be a reason ,
the 4x4 engagement "fix" as described above works on my O4 , F/inlaw has never had the problem in his 03 , neither the B/inlaw with his 05 ,,, problem related to intercooler ? very much doubt it , but if I was to buy another Rodeo it would NOT be an 04 model,
FollowupID: 690192

Follow Up By: fugwurgin - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 13:15

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 13:15
thanks for the clarification Alloy. i knew they introduced the 3.0l in the late TF model in 2003- i dint realize they had top mounts- i stand corrected.
i am still yet to see an 05 with a top mount tho, but i will take your word.
I never implied the 4x4 engagement issue was related to the intercooler??!?

BARELY THERE: dont be put off by the front mount intercooler models, if the have an X marked in the A3 square on the recall sticker either inside the glove box or drivers door then it has been fixed, i have had no dramas whatsoever with my model. and as ALLOY has said above there seems to be a simple fix to reset the 4x4 sysyem. happy shopping!
FollowupID: 690198

Follow Up By: Mogul - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 20:06

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 20:06
The RA (03 on) had a front mounted intercooler from day one.
FollowupID: 690249

Reply By: Member - Alass (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 17:24

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 17:24
My thoughts having purchased 05 Spacecab new are that they can be a bit sluggish at times however with most diesels no problems when up and running. Vehicle ground clearance needs to be watched when off the beaten track. Would like a chip in it but not a priority. Intercooler at front no problems having done quite a bit of stony roadwork as well, like the radiator just keep an eye on things. A bash plate underneath a must. Fuel economy considered average. Comfort and space are the positives as well as the Isuzu components. Hoping to do the Lawn Hill to Roper Bar roads shortly maintenance permitting.
AnswerID: 420071

Sponsored Links