So many cooking options....what to buy?

I thought it would be an easy choice as to what I would buy to take in the van. Something to use that is multipurpose and easy to use. Thought I would get the Oz pig as it looks a great idea. Then I thought, better get a Cobb because of open fires etc... Started researching and OMG there are too many options...

Hillbilly, Cobb, Oz pig, Shuttle Chef, Coleman etc etc.

I've been told I can only get one... (he likes the pig) and the rest can be done in the van oven? Although, he wasn't keen on the smells being inside.

Any thoughts? We still have our cast iron camp oven from our tenting days....maybe I can convert it or combine with my final choice.

Btw he likes the look of the pig because of sitting next to it in winter. Keeps in with his camping ideals LOL
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Isuzumu - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 06:28

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 06:28
We have had a OzPig for four years now and find it great, bbqing, put the camp oven on it to cook and heating as well. So seeing we have had it for so long we will now buy a Webber Baby-Q for those time we can not use the Pig.
AnswerID: 420002

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 06:44

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 06:44
Hi Selena,
If you are staying powered then you have many options. I use a single hotplate plugged into power then cook on top of it in a non stick frypan or casserole both of which can also be used on gas burners or in the oven. We dont have a microwave oven as it cant be powered on 12v and dont miss it at all. (Only use it at home for reheating foods).
And of course we have 3 gas burners and 1 hotplate so can use those.

When unpowered we use the cast iron campoven over the fire to cook casseroles, bread, roasts dampers...and almost anything. We find it fantastic and wouldnt travel without it.

I cook inside the van a lot - on cooktop or in the gas oven and so long as the exhaust fan is on, and/or windows open dont find any problems with food odours.
Before we bought this van we carried a cobb oven and just loved it but you dont need it as well as an oven in the van - just more weight to carry around.
My advice is to get a couple of pieces of versatile multippurpose cookware - oven, stovetop, (microwave proof if you have one).

Each trip when we return home I take out anything which isnt used very often and leave it behind, and if theres some item I decide I really need, then it goes into the van. We are carrying less now than in previous trips.

We have the breadmaker along on this trip but have only used it a few times to make pizza dough and a loaf or two of bread which I could have done by hand.

In the end it really depends on what type of places you stay and the types of food you eat.
Also...I decide what goes inside the van and 'he' decides what goes in the boot and the car!

Happy planning and travelling,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 420003

Follow Up By: petengail - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 07:13

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 07:13
if it may be of interest aldi had a small convection oven on sale at less than i think 40 dollars last week... just another cooking option....
FollowupID: 690160

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 07:27

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 07:27
A Hillbilly Bushking Camp Oven is much more flexible than your old cast iron model.
The shape of the lid and the many accessories available make this the first choice for camp cooking in my opinion.

I also have a Cobb cooker which is also good for economy of heat beads, but I still prefer the Hillbilly. You can roast, bake, even use the lid as a fry pan. Add the gas ring accessory when time or fire ban days excludes the use of an open fire.

Love my Hillbilly.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 420007

Follow Up By: Member Boroma 604 - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 09:03

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 09:03
Gooday,
Would buy a Weber Baby Q, they are so versatile, economical to run and keeps all your cooking smells outside as well as you can use it anywhere, just buy a 4.5 Kg bottle it is as much as you need.
Cheers,
Boroma604.
FollowupID: 690170

Follow Up By: tg123 - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 09:54

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 09:54
x 2 for the Weber Q - have the mid size model - it does everything I want - bacon on the open grill is to die for, fantastic steaks and beautiful roasts. You can't go wrong and the bonus is that I also use it as my BBQ at home - fits in with our 'at least 2 uses for as much as of our gear as possible' philosophy!

Cheers
TG
FollowupID: 690177

Follow Up By: landseka - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 14:15

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 14:15
x 3 for the Webber.

I had fitted a bayonet gas socket near the rear wheel so I don't even need to take an extra gas bottle now.

Almost everything gets cooked in it now, it is either that or the pressure cooker (oh dam, there is another choice for you)

Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 690203

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 18:23

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 18:23
Bloody hell, you guys must have heaps of room to carry something like that around.
Almost as big as the Oz pig.

Each to their own I guess.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 690235

Follow Up By: landseka - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 19:16

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 19:16
You have to be joking right Bill?

I haven't seen a 'pig' in the flesh but going by the pics on their website the pressure cooker is only a fraction of the size.

Lets face it, it is only a mid sized saucepan and doubles for use as a saucepan at that.

Very efficient for cooking and Oh So Tasty.

Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 690246

Follow Up By: Selina V - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 22:52

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 22:52
Ok, Im confused about sizes now. The Oz Pig looks quite small in the pics. A weber? Makes me think of a big bbq too. I'm looking for something that doesn't take up much space?
FollowupID: 690280

Reply By: Roughit Instyle - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 09:14

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 09:14
Hi Selina - I purchased the small Bessemer casserole and frypan plus lid from their factory seconds sale after buying the van, to use on the cooktop and in the oven. Perfect size. I also carry the 4.5 lt cast iron camp oven which can also be used inside or on the fire for slow cooking, and now, also in the 'choofer' which my husband has just finished creating from an old 9kg gas bottle. This can be used as the fire place with a door cut out so he can sit and watch the fire, plus the camp oven sits on the top. If you consider that everything has to have two uses, it will help minimize the amount you carry with you.

Cheers - Ngaire
AnswerID: 420024

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 12:24

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 12:24
Hi Selina

I look at lightweight and not bulky. That to me is a basically lightweight kettle, two saucepans in different sizes, a gauze gas toaster and a lightweight baking dish which travels in the oven. All of these are used on gas only, be it in the caravan or on the portable gas stove when camping out. Long handled tongs can be used on a campground barbecue, but we don't carry heavy campfire cookware.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 420042

Reply By: brushmarx - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 16:00

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 16:00
At the risk of hijacking this thread (apologies offered), the Weber Baby Q looks like a choice piece of gear.
The Aussie price appears to be around $300 for the basic unit, but Amazon US has them from $120 plus $45 roughly shipping. This would equate to about $200 AUD.
For memory, the US have "propane" as the fuel source.
Does anyone know if that is the same as our LPG, and are the fittings similar?
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 420063

Reply By: CruisinDub - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 16:55

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 16:55
Hi,

We use a CADAC Safari Chef. Small, packs away into a convenient carry bag.
5 in 1 uses, BBQ (my favourite use) bake with the lid, the lid becomes a wok, grill foods and then the bruner heats the whistling kettle.
I actually have 2. One from SA that uses the HP disposable gas canisters and another from Europe that uses the LP gas, connected to camping gaz gas bottle.
We will probably take the disposable unit for our Oz trip, for ease of storage, but depending if I get ambitious and carry a larger gas bottle, may take the LP model.

I like the cadac for its versatility.
The BBQ is a little small if entertaining, bit its fast enough and for 4 people its adequate for dinners.
We have on on our boat, for its ease of storage, lightweight and trouble free.

less than $100 for the unit.

Enjoy !
AnswerID: 420069

Follow Up By: Selina V - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 22:50

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 22:50
You've just added another one to my list! LOL But it looks good in the ads I've seen. Although I only saw it for $175.
FollowupID: 690279

Follow Up By: CruisinDub - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 05:13

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 05:13
Hi,
I do like the Cadac for its multiple uses. (safari chef)

Small, compact and simple, with various options for cooking. Rarely will you need two 'burners'.

175 is a bit steep, have a look online for a better deal.

FollowupID: 690291

Follow Up By: CruisinDub - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 05:25

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 05:25
Strong aussie dollar means thee CADAC should be quite cheap.

http://www.cadac.co.za/products/product.php?pid=81

Wife just told me we paid 580 SA rand, 90.92 Aud. (xe.com/ucc)

Check online for a good deal.
FollowupID: 690294

Follow Up By: CruisinDub - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 03:02

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 03:02
Hi,

Recently bought a Cobb Premier for the slow cooking option. Looking forward to trying it out and trying some new ideas.
Our deal also included a number of accessories, the hotplate, the roasting grill and 2 others that came with the kit.

My wife has told me thats enough now. We have the Cadac for baking/grilling/bbq/etc etc and the Cobb for slow cooking.

Enjoy !!
FollowupID: 690895

Sponsored Links