Burke Development Road

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 18:59
ThreadID: 79179 Views:8413 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Planning to go to the Mt Isa rodeo in early August then travel along the BDR to Chillagoe,can anyone give me any tips about this road, the HEMA map has it as a major unsealed road, interested in any camping spots that could be reccomended and other places of interest along the BDR or any permits etc that may be required.
ALLinfo will be greatly appreciated,we will be in a Nissan 4x4 with an Aussie Swag off road camper trailer. The map doesn,t show any fuel available on the BDR, is this for sure or not? Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 19:28

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 19:28
Margaret,
see this "trek" for more info.
Normanton to Coen
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 420086

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 19:34

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 19:34
Hi Margaret,
Generally it can be a bit corrugated and have long bulldust patches at that time of year...but don't let that stop you as there is some nice country and termite cities along the way.

Last time I travelled it I continued travelling north at Dunbar where you will go right and head east.

There was no fuel between Karumba and Chillagoe and I doubt that will change.

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 420087

Reply By: Member - Rick P (NT) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 09:55

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 09:55
We did Chillagoe to Karumba BDR September last year and found the track fine, a little rough in some of the causeways and yes no fuel in fact nothing except lots of cattle on the side of road. Plenty of places to pull up for the night though.
Cheers
Rick P
AnswerID: 420134

Reply By: cycadcenter - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 10:54

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 10:54
Lots of bull dust patches so be careful. Also be aware of cattle road trains hauling out, give them a REAL wide berth. Also last time I was along there there were a couple of sets of gates which may sneak up on you.

No fuel between Normanton and Chillagoe.

Once you get to the turnoff to Dunbar the road basically follows the Mitchell River along to Gamboola Stn. I would think that you could find plenty of places to camp along there.

Bruce
AnswerID: 420140

Sponsored Links