Strange forum setup + waypoint downlaod question.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 20:32
ThreadID: 79204 Views:4408 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I joined Exploreoz a while a go, but I haven't really gotten into it. There is a wealth of information on here, but it seems to be organised (not organised?) in a weird way.

Most forums have sub-forums with various themes: eg, Toyota, Subaru, Tyre choices, Road reports, etc. But the exploreoz forum just seems to have one, giant forum, with all topics in one place. Currently 950+ active threads.

Am I missing somehting? Is there some setting I have switched off?

While I'm on the subject. is there a way to download whole series of waypoints? Eg, Say I want all of the free camping waypoints in Australia. I can look at and download each one individually. But is there a way to download the lot in one .gpx file?

Or do I need to be a paid member to access all of the above?

cheers,
Darren
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 23:30

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 23:30
Well I guess this Forum is about traveling the outback and the adventures that await you.
Its not vehicle specific, Product specific or anything like that. It only about Outback Adventures. So one Forum covers it pretty well I think.

I agree the search engine leaves a bit to be desired sometimes.

If someone has uploaded a file containing all the way-points you require then you can download that complete file. Otherwise it one at a time.

When you have finished plotting all the Free Camp sites save it as a file and upload it here for the rest of us. LOL.

Cheers

Wayne B
AnswerID: 420231

Follow Up By: Whitewulf - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 07:05

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 07:05
Right on the Nail.
Thats the BEST thing about this forum - Its not vehicle specific.
no flaming because you have this or can not afford to buy that.
Best group of forum members I have found !
FollowupID: 690423

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:02

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:02
The waypoints to all the campsites in australia can be downloaded at GPS Australia
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 420272

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 13:40

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 13:40
Think that's been pulled off Duncan due to copywrite considerations.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 690468

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 14:43

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 14:43
If it has all Darren need do is MM me and I'll email him a copy. Not a very big file.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 690475

Follow Up By: CruisinDub - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 03:57

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 03:57
Hi Duncan,

Could you email me the list?
Whats the list contain, just GPS coordinates or extra info as well?

Thanks
Regards Paul
FollowupID: 690896

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:58

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:58
Paul MM me with your details or post your address here.
Just waypoint details. 6 files in total.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 690933

Follow Up By: CruisinDub - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 17:45

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 17:45
Hi Duncan,

Thanks or the reply. Appreciated.
Dont think I can MM, I am only a registered member, plan to become a full member when I return back from work later in the year. Now working between Italy, Croatia and Greece. Getting all information together for our extended trip round Aust for a year or more if we can. The difficulty comes in not being able to ask 'english' questions, so all my research if forum and online based.
email add: albanyson@aol.com

Look forward to hearing from you further.

Thanks
Regards Paul
FollowupID: 691132

Follow Up By: CruisinDub - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 05:52

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 05:52
Hi Duncan,

Recieved your email fine, many Thanks.

Did reply by mail, but have been having some issues with my outlook and AOL, I hope you recieved fine.

Thanks
Regards Paul
FollowupID: 691424

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:43

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:43
Hi Darren,

Have a look here in Plot Swap or rather Places there is some good info and 700+ free camps listed.
You may need to spend a bit of time familiarizing yourself with the features there but there is a huge resource of mapping and info there uploaded by members and guests.

Members obviously do have lots of benefits and better access to Data and Mapping facilities but there is plenty of info you can access and download quickly anytime you are online - especially if you bookmark the specific pages of interest.

Hope this helps.

Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 420283

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 14:41

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 14:41
Try this site POI Plaza Download in a format that suits you. I downloaded the Garmin Gpx and imported it into Oziexplorer without a problem. There are supposed to be 2404 camp sites, but I didn't count them.
AnswerID: 420318

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 22:07

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 22:07
"information on here... seems to be organised in a weird way. Most forums have sub-forums .......But the exploreoz forum just seems to have one"
You're right of course Darren but the crowd may get confused if it was to be changed to a logical system ;-) The information here is generally pretty good but gets frustrating at times trying to follow a subject particually if it is updated over time.
A prime example at the moment is the water flowing down the Cooper Creek & over the Birdsville track. There must have been a dozen new threads over the last month updating the current status instead of one continuous discussion where people can subscribe to. End result is unless you search & read every thread you may miss important information & as a result often the same replys are repeated over & over as people ask the same questions.
Still as you've pointed out a wealth of info to be found.
Cheers Craig..................
AnswerID: 420387

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 12:15

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 12:15
Hi DarrenT, I thought perhaps you may not be aware that Blogs are effectively the Topic-based Forum you might be looking for. The topics are set by the blog tags (there are 67 currently - made up from two groups, group 1 are all related to ExplorOz themes and take their names from all the site article topics, then group 2 topics are totally off-topic to ExplorOz but are all the lifestyle topics such as Work, Love, Poetry, Politics, Art, Books, Business, Education, Entertainment, Events/Comps, Gaming, Family, I won't go through the whole list in alpha order but you get the gist of it).

The blogs area is not moderated and allows posts on any topic provided it is not illegal (!). Blogs - which are just like posts, can only be started by Members and although anyone can read them, only Members can reply (via the comment button).

Blogs have their own section - use the site menu at the top to access the blog index and the search functions however as each new blog is posted we promote these on the ExplorOz Home Page and also in the Members box at the top right of the Forum Index page to alert people from the Forum to check out the blogs.

A lot of the features that new users seek are available, but for Members only.
Hope this helps.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 420744

Sponsored Links