Camper Trailers

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:29
ThreadID: 79216 Views:3639 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Everyone

We are searching for a tandem, hard floor, off road camper trailer. Does anyone know who might manufacture such a beast?

Cheers
Jumbuck
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: guy007 - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:07

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:07
Hi Jumbuck,
I came across one at the visitors centre at Bourke a few weeks ago.
It was a great looking trailer and I had a good look at it. It was branded as Being a Hardcore Camper. When I returned to home I tried to find out more information but had no luck. Googling "Hardcore Campers" did not return the sort of matches that I was looking for. It looked to be a great unit with massive storage at the front and a King size tent at the rear.
Good luck with your search
Guy
AnswerID: 420281

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:12

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:12
It may possibly have been a Cootacamper who is now no longer manufacturing these campers (working in the WA mines is more profitable ;)

Member Ed C has a tandem Camper Trailer as well.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 690445

Follow Up By: Jumbuck - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 12:29

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 12:29
Thanks, Guy and Kev

Perhaps if Ed C is out there he could share the manufacturer details?

Thanks
Jumbuck
FollowupID: 690456

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 13:36

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 13:36
I have just MM Ed so if he is around he will hopefully respond.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 690467

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 13:43

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 13:43
G'day all,
Been off air for a few weeks, hence the delayed response...
(currently enjoying a rest day at Forrest WA)

Guy, that would have been my trailer you saw at Bourke..Thanks for the kind words, I drew the plans for this one myself:)

As noted, it was made for me by Hardcore Campers (Bribie Is.), but unfortunately, this manufacturer has since fallen by the wayside :(

I'm not aware of any 'off the shelf' manufacturers who are making tandem hard-floors..

Last time I spoke to them (several years ago), AORC (Caloundra) said that they would be willing to make one on request.

Jumbuck, if you're anywhere near Toowoomba after the end of july, you're more than welcome to come & check out the camper if you wish....

Regards,
Ed C
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 690723

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 12:55

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 12:55
We have had a Coota Camper for over 5 years. Great bit of kit. I see the odd one for sale, so if you want a 2ND hand one just keep looking.
AnswerID: 420299

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 23:08

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 23:08
Tony and Jumbuck,

Not trying to be clever here but I am wondering what are the advantages of a tandem axle camper.

Looking at your rig pic Tony, the Coota does not seem any bigger than my Trak Shak. There does appear to be a lot of stuff on the draw bar, so I guess the dual axle takes some of that weight. Apart from that I ....am I missing something?

We have travelled with a family of 5 for 14years now, and have never needed more space or carrying capacity. In fact I have more often been concerned that we were carrying too much, so the ability to carry more just doesn't seem necessary.

Anyway, as I said earlier I am not having a go I just wonder why the dual axle. Did you set out to buy a dual axle or did you decide on the Coota because it suited your needs and just happened to have the extra axle?

Duncs.
FollowupID: 690549

Follow Up By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Friday, Jun 11, 2010 at 06:49

Friday, Jun 11, 2010 at 06:49
Having towed horse floats to a lot of out of the way places, the dual axle has a lot better load shareing and ride advantages. I set out to buy a dual axle camper for that reason. not nessarary to carry more but to share the load and keep the draw bar weight down. To help this the spare, dual battries and the 250lt water tank are behind the front wheels, so it gives a good ballance to the whole rig.

When travelling, a overnight stop takes about 3 miniutes to get into bed, as with most hard floor campers. The 90lt fridge is between the slide out kitchen and slide out pantry so all is at hand for meal stops etc. When set up for extended stays the full length annex gives you 5m of open space.

It may not be everyones choice, but it suits our needs, when travelling with kids.
FollowupID: 690558

Reply By: Member - Brenton W (SA) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 22:53

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 22:53
A tandem would be a buga to turn around in the dirt by hand as we all have to do some times. and be harder draging it through the sand and mud?
AnswerID: 420394

Follow Up By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Friday, Jun 11, 2010 at 07:01

Friday, Jun 11, 2010 at 07:01
Because it opens out to the rear, you back it into any space you want. I have never found the need to move it by havd, I have had fun hooking up to get out sometimes though.

Had no trouble on Bribie Is with sand, in fact the wheel base is the same as the vehicle so only one set of wheel tracks. As for mud and the black soil plains, as long as you remember its there and drive to the conditions, not a problem.

On rocky tracks there is not jerking over holes or rocks as the duals keep the camper quite level buy one dropping and the other one staying level.
FollowupID: 690559

Reply By: beatles 1 - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 21:07

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 21:07
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Advertising/Self-Promotion Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 420823

Sponsored Links