Camping at Karinjini and Mt Augustus.

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 12:45
ThreadID: 79268 Views:3589 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,
Going up to Karinjini after National and looking for recommendations on the best place to camp for a few days. Realize we will pay to stay here but wanted to see what others thoughts where.
This is the same with Mt Augustus is it better to stay at the Tourist Resort or back on one of the stations.
Any information on things to see and do at these places would also be appreciated. We will be coming through on the Ashburton and Dooley Rd's int Mt Augustus
Cheers Julie and Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 13:07

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 13:07
Hi Julie

Rumour has it that the camp "resort" at Mt Augustus has been opened again. I always believe if is better to stay in the spot. We have stayed there twice over the years; once before the destination was popular and once after amenities became very overloaded.

Dales camp ground at Karajini is nice semi-bush camping complete with dingoes howling. Our first night there we were near the tour group section, and the youngsters were noisy until quite l ate at night. Next day they walked all the gorges, and not a peep from them after dark. There were pit toilets only when we were there a few years ago.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 420517

Follow Up By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 13:31

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 13:31
Hi Judy,
Thanks for info. Did you take your van through the Dooley Downs Rd.
Cheers
FollowupID: 690722

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 14:04

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 14:04
No Julie we didn't. Both times we came in from the Exmouth direction; the first time we were camping on ute and the second we had the little wind-up camper.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 690725

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 13:46

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 13:46
G'day Julie and Brian

My thoughts on camping at any "Tourist Resort" is going to be rather biased against the "Resort" camping. I'm not against resorts as they do cater to a requirement that a large number of people actually wan't, but there is a bottom line to meet and a premium to pay, buy the patron.

Station Stays on the other hand are a better option as you supplement a working families income, plus the "Station Stay" is from the heart and in many cases the Station Family actually become close friends, also depending on what is happening on the working station, you may have the chance to assist or participate.
I don't say the person behind the cash register at a resort is not genuine, but they usuall work for someone else, all smiles but no responsibility.

Karijini and camping at the eco village are very controlled, they need this control because the bulk of their patrons are genuinely not "bush wise".

The Dales camp ground can become uncomfortably busy in peak season, with traffic and people on the go, day and night.

The parks roads can become very corrugated [the norm] and the Dunnies throughout the park are rank.
I still place Karijini at the top of the list as far as a visual wonder and a magnificent experience for what it actually is ~ a beautiful place to visit ~ just not a great place to stay.
AnswerID: 420519

Follow Up By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 14:04

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 14:04
Thanks Joe,
Yeah I'm like you hate staying in controlled parks. We hate paying but realize in both these spots Karijini(spelt it right now) and Augustus we will have too.
What is the Ecco like and is that the only one.
Cheers
FollowupID: 690724

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 01:06

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 01:06
not sure what you mean about premium to be paid

MA resort was cheaper and 30ks closer than cobra station stay

as for Karanjini you dont have to stay in national park campgrounds close to gorges

there are other options.......
FollowupID: 690772

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 14:10

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 14:10
Link to camping and other facilities at Karajini. Also make sure you go to Hammersley Gorge where the rock formations are a bit different. You enter this Gorge from outside the park on the west side.

Karajini NP

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 420521

Reply By: Rangiephil - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 14:32

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 14:32
I stayed at Dales camping ground last year and found it good. Sites were roomy and plenty of drop toilets, and an easy walk to Dales Gorge and the swimming pools.

Showers were available at the info centre for a fee and left a bit to be desired, as the Men's lights had failed and were a bit wet and dirty.

Water is also available from a tank near the info centre.

Mt Tom Price has one of the best Coles I have seen so you can get anything there.

Dales is pretty busy and there will be camp ground volunteer managers there, so get there early as sometimes there is a line up.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 420524

Follow Up By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 20:22

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 20:22
Thanks Phillip,
Yes it looks like Dales for us as I even heard the overflow was better than the campground.
Cheers Julie
FollowupID: 690843

Sponsored Links