Additioanl Air Tank on ARB compressor

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 17:19
ThreadID: 7927 Views:4900 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Ive got an ARB compressor mounted under the drivers seat that has the standard outlet to connect an air hose to. I was looking at mounting a second airtank under the tray of the hilux however I was wondering how this would interfere with the small tank on the compressor, and how it would go with the air locker.
I was thinking i wouldnt want to be waiting 5mins filling up the second tank before i had enough pressure to fire up the locker.

Has anyone mounted a second tank with a locker? I was thinking maybe a valve in the hose between the compressor and second tank might be the go, then i can have blocked of when i dont need it, and open it up when i need a big gurst of air (blowing sand out of the cabin etc.). I would then only need to presurise the small tank before using the lockers.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Glenn.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chrisfrd - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 17:42

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 17:42
Have you considered using a second tank by converting an old fire extinguisher? The volumes would stalilize and you wouldn't need another pressure switch. You will need to empty the tank from time to time, as water (from condensation) will build up within the tank. The pressure will not be a problem and volume would be increased.

Regards,

Chris.
AnswerID: 34361

Follow Up By: Glenno - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 17:47

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 17:47
Havent considered what type of tank i will use. I was more worried about waiting for the second tank to fill. The small ARB tank mounted on the compressor takes maybe 15secs to fill from empty.

Cheers,

Glenn.
FollowupID: 24744

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 21:46

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 21:46
I cant understand why people want to use fire extingushers..

Proper truck air tanks are only $15 upwards at wreckers.

Always run a pressure relief valve.
FollowupID: 24770

Reply By: chrisfrd - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 17:58

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 17:58
Yes, but a 20L tank, using an old CO2 fire extinguisher can be used safely, with the tank filling up in about 2-3 minutes. You can leave the air in the tank, using it to fill tyres and such quickly. If you put a disconnect into it, you could disconnect it and retain the pressure as you need it.
AnswerID: 34364

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 18:24

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 18:24
Gday
Used a extinguisher under the passenger (ejector seat lol) seat with a gate valve in between for a long time. Just take off one spare plug from the compresser and put a gate valve in there followed by some descent hose or copper pipe to the receiver.
Had a quick connect coupling sticking out theend of the receiver which pointed to the door opening.
An extinguisher is easy to convert because the head is alloy and the holes are threaded all but one..
Benefits are no difference if you dont want to use it and less cycling if you are/do.
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 34369

Reply By: Member - Ken - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 19:42

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 19:42
Glenn

I have an ARB compressor in the engine bay that runs both the ARB Rear & Front lockers.

It also has a speed coupling mounted off of it in the vicinity of the top of the air cleaner housing (75 series).

A short while ago I had a tank built to fit underneath between the transmission protection plate and the floor.

It was built by a crew in Kilsyth,Melbourne out of 4.5 inch steam pipe with mounts, drainage and two inlet/outlet ports. Fully engineered and rated to whatever the standard is for that material. ( Bloody High I believe.) Total cost $100.00 How much does it hold? No idea, it was built to fit the space available.

I took this gizmo down to Outback 4WD where I was having something else done and had it fitted it at the same time. (I must mention that I had researched this with Outback 4WD prior to having the tank made).

The man fitted it and also added a second speed coupling on the other side of the engine bay at my request.

I don't know how the whole apparatus was setup but the ARB pressure switch controls everything and it works like a dream.

Takes about 45 seconds to fill it all up. Once I get into territory that may need a locker or air for either tyres or blowing dust off, I just switch it on and leave it, so there is always air if you need it.

Its just ace for blowing all the dust off of back of the troopy when your finished for the day or out of a High lift jack if you have one.

Possibilities are endles and this is just for your useless 4WD bin and to ponder over.

Regards

Ken Robinson

AnswerID: 34382

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:20

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:20
I did a similar thing but used the nudge bar tubing on the LX 470. (as on the front in the picture). I don't know how much it holds but it is a useful reserve. The original ARB pressure switch controls it. It hasn't been pressure tested (someone is going to get a very big nudge someday ;-)

Its 90 mm tubing and about 2 meters long so the volume would be about 3.14 X 4.5 X 4.5 X 200 = 12717 mL or 12.7 L Bob
FollowupID: 24786

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 21:49

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 21:49
Can someone explain to me why nobody wants to use Truck Air Tanks? using a piece of pipe with 2 bits of bleep welded on it? Joking arent they? No pressure testing etc, love to see the look on the face when you tell the insurance company the reason your car has a 4foot hole in teh floor was from an exploding piece of pipe!

Goto any truck wreker, and get them for $15 upwards, Ive been with a mate thats done it.
AnswerID: 34398

Follow Up By: Member - Ken - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 06:48

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 06:48
Truckster, Truckster, Truckster

Whatever sort of 'substance' are you on old son.

Is it the type that warps your reading and clear thinking ability.

Now I will attempt to explain to you (again I might add) why somebody didn't use your 'Truck air tank'.

Firstly I do not have the room to install a 'Truck air Tank' , especially underneath with it hanging beneath the drive train line. You might not give a toss but I do.

Secondly, now I want you to read this bit carefully, I had the said 'pressure vessel' yes! you read correctly, 'pressure vessel' specifically manufactured by C.J. Compressors (manufactures of compressors and relevant pressure vessels) to a size and ASO 9000 standard to fit my vehicle and size and safety wise.

If they decide to use steam pipe thats their business. I would like to see it pressure tested against your 'Truck air Tank' material though.

Now before you go around casting aspersions that others are doing things unsafely and not complying with Insurance disclosure procedures, get your facts straight or do the DoDo bird.

Have a nice day

Ken Robinson (I don't hide behind a NIC)

FollowupID: 24781

Follow Up By: Tony - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:42

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:42
The second thing Trukster is that a ARB compresser shuts off at 120psi, hardly enough to blown the skin off a custard.

I had a tank that I made out of seamless 6'' pipe with capped ends, it took about 5min to fill (i would switch it on as soon as i locked my hubs in) and using both diff locks it would hardly ever run during a days 4WD'ing and also had good air reserve for tyre seating.

The air hose plug was beside the drivers seat.
FollowupID: 24788

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 22:26

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 22:26
Ken ken ken ken...

I dont know what your on that clouds your capacity to think beyond the square but you can get air tanks in all shapes and sizes.. Take a trip to a wrecker and see...They have anything from 3-4in round, to around 20inch around and all lengths.

the european/yank (tried to get a few from Kenworth when I worked there... :( couldnt... ) trucks have longer and thinner tanks.. Old Internationals have good tanks too.
FollowupID: 24903

Reply By: Geebung - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 10:24

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 10:24
I used some 50mm PVC high pressure pipe from the plumbing shop, with cap ends glued on. Fitted it under the bull bar. Added a brass tee to the ARB pump set up and ran some rated hose down there to connect. The PVC is rated well above the 100 cut out on the pump. All works fine and dandy for me (3 years now). The PVC added 5 litres to my capacity. Use the biggest diameter and length you can get in there. The PVC is not cheap but.Get me outa these suburbs !
AnswerID: 34438

Reply By: chrisfrd - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:15

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:15
Did anyone see that article in 4x4 monthly, where a jurno for the mag converted his spare over to a pressure vessel?

What are your thoughts guys? I was horrified at this, due to the potentially explosive situation that the jurno had created.

AnswerID: 34441

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 01:53

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 01:53
Hi chrisfrd
Dont know what pressure the jurno had in his spare.
BFG /AT are rated 65lbs/inch for max load, and thats what I keep in my spare and have used it with a 10 ft hose to increase pressure in rear tyres after sand driving, while the compressor does the front.
Have used it twice to do a rear flat tyre much quicker than a compressor.

Had a truck loaded with frozen chickens run up my a**e whilst stationary
3 months ago and his bullbar hit the spare, the spare tyre bracket pushed the outer skin of the rear door in slightly, I think the damage would have been the same if it only had 34lbs in it.
May not answer your ? just my own experience.
Cheers
FollowupID: 24915

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 02:00

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 02:00
OK where did my photo disappear too !!!!!Prado TD Auto
AnswerID: 34550

Reply By: tex1972 - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 22:07

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 22:07
yep pvc is a good. idea ever see it explode, turns into a fragmentation grenade.there was a bloke in Vic you could ask but he died of the wounds.Also oil from a wet sump compressor will attack the glue and the pvc pipe if you don't believe me ring Vinidex and ask them.120psi will blow the skin off a custard, do the sums 120psi applied to the area of the tank end(6 inch pipe) 28.26 inches (square) =3391 pounds of force.I'd stick with a proffesionally made air reciever its a lot safer.
AnswerID: 34922

Sponsored Links