Which towing vehicle to buy?

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 14:40
ThreadID: 79270 Views:3619 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
The recent Caravan & Camping magazine has a comparison of towing vehicles, and the Navara didn't come out to well in relation to driver comfort/fatigue?
We are looking at either the Navara (but maybe not now?) or the Hilux dual cab.
Can anyone provide some objective advice about either - we will be towing a poptop 18' tandem?

tks
Glenn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: landed eagle - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 15:13

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 15:13
Why not look at the Triton as well??
I bought a Triton after driving Navara,Hi-lux,D-Max,Colorado and Triton.
Tows my 16' Expanda beautifully.
The updated version just won 4WD of the year too, if I'm not mistaken.
AnswerID: 420529

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 16:32

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 16:32
All the current utes are very close in features & performance but the Triton seems to have the edge in the towing department. Cheaper & more comfortable than the Navara or Hilux too.
Cheers Craig............
FollowupID: 690735

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 16:06

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 16:06
Another pair to look at should include the Mazda BT50 and Ford Ranger.
A very large company in Australia is starting to use them due to cost and reliability especially compared to some others.
DW
AnswerID: 420534

Reply By: D200Dug- Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 16:14

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 16:14
I will suggest the Holden Rodeo/Colorado/ Isuzu D-Max range or Turbo Diesel

I find the comparisons somewhat jaded, the Rodeo we bought was given a very low ride and comfort rating but we have no problems with it at all.

What we saved in the purchase price we spent on upgrading the suspension and other bits and pieces.

AnswerID: 420535

Reply By: rocco2010 - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 17:04

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 17:04
Gidday

I went through the exercise of comparing the 4x4 utes a year or so ago and I don't think there is that much between them.

Mechnically they are similar with power otputs withing a few kw and nm of each other, although I recall reading that the new Navara has taken a leap forward in the power stakes. Whether those sort out outputs from a 2.5l turbo diesel are stretching things only time will tell.

Toyota has the reputation (and the demand from industry) with a price that reflects that. Navara has a lot of good features but there are some doubts about it. The Triton's looks are a bit polarising but it has a power edge and is well equipped. Isuzu and Rodeo also have a few bells and whistles not found on the BT50 and the Ranger, which are I think the oldest design in the field and due for replacement this year or next. The interior in particular is almost spartan.

Things like comfort are very subjective, but I had just as numb a bum after an 8-hour stint in a Hilux as I would in my Ranger.

The most important factor for many will be price, and Ford dealers dealers here in WA are advertsing Ranger XLT 4x4 dual cabs for $39,990 drive away with a 5 year warranty to boot. If you have an ABN number Mitsubishi dealers will give you a GL-R Triton for the same.

Thiose sort of prices are hard to beat.

Do the math.

Cheers

Rocco

AnswerID: 420538

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 22:48

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 22:48
Rocco's maths are fine if you don't intend on keeping the vehicle for a long time, however if you do the maths are questionable. Buying a vehicle on price alone is a huge mistake. I would argue that the Hilux is the dearest because it is the best built vehicle. All the vehicles have their pros and cons, but choosing a vehicle because it's $39k vs $50k does not compare apples with apples. At the end of the day the Hilux is about to outsell the Commodore, quite an amazing feat, why is that so if they are so much dearer than the competition.? I think the answer is obvious.
FollowupID: 690768

Reply By: TerraFirma - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 22:42

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 22:42
Don't buy the Hilux there are too many on the road.! And the Hilux maybe outselling the commodore for the first time ever, now thats amazing when you think about it. With so may Hiluxes on the road nowadays I'm running out of ideas to keep my fine different..? For towing the diesel off course.
AnswerID: 420580

Sponsored Links