Sunday History Photo / SA

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 08:18
ThreadID: 79287 Views:3775 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
The first road bridge across the lower Murray was completed at Murray Bridge in 1879. The bridge also became a shared road and rail bridge in 1886 until the separate rail bridge was completed in 1925.
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
The Swanport Bridge was completed 5 kilometres downstream in 1979,The city was originally known as Mobilong, then Edwards Crossing before finally becoming Murray Bridge in 1924.
In 1924 the Murray Bridge rowing team was chosen to represent Australia at the Paris Olympics. The Murray Cods as they were known won the Australian Eight Oared Championships (the King's Cup) and were invited to compete in a test race at Port Adelaide between South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania and Victoria. Although accustomed to rowing over 3 miles, the Murray Cods were able to defeat the other crews on the 1 mile and 420 yards course.
Murray Bridge also has a rich motor racing history. Established in 1958, Riverview Speedway is one of Australia's premier country dirt track ovals regularly hosting Australian title meetings in most racing categories including bikes and cars.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David C2 (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 10:29

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 10:29
Thanks Doug, for another great snippet of history, in days gone by when driving interstate trucks I rattled across this old bridge many times. Its funny when you revisit these places now you wonder how trucks fitted and even passed on some of the older bridges and roads.

Happy travels Dave
AnswerID: 420610

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 12:19

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 12:19
Dave
Yes ...I remember Little Sydney Harbour just North of Wagga Hill, Taree, Gundagai, Nabiac, and many many more that are just memories now.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 690792

Reply By: Happy Frank - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 18:01

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 18:01
Good one Doug,
The Plume servo in your photo was until around 1990 still selling several brands of petrol from different bowsers, maybe one of the last servo's top sell more than one brand. And the Murray Bridge Speedway still runs an excellent meeting, they were subject to a noise curfew for many years so learned to run a meeting with minimal gaps between races, great for the spectators.
AnswerID: 420661

Reply By: Happy Frank - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 18:01

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 18:01
Good one Doug,
The Plume servo in your photo was until around 1990 still selling several brands of petrol from different bowsers, maybe one of the last servo's to sell more than one brand. And the Murray Bridge Speedway still runs an excellent meeting, they were subject to a noise curfew for many years so learned to run a meeting with minimal gaps between races, great for the spectators.
AnswerID: 420662

Sponsored Links