converting ute to trailer

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 10:27
ThreadID: 79293 Views:11926 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
have been thinking of converting an old ute to a trailer for camping and would love to hear some feedback re pro's and con,s.
been thinking of getting hold of old cruiser ute and modifiying into a trailer then getting a canvas camper top made to fit, thinking the ute back would be able to leave the fuel tank under it with a 12volt fuel pump to refuel giving longer legs, was thinking of keeping all original and just cutting of the cab/front end then somehow adding a drawbar to remaining chassy. bit of playing around but should look the part and befairly sturdy camper
be greatful for any thoughts on this
thanks
Terry&Di
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ross - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:06

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:06
It might have been a viable idea 30 years ago but now its so much easier to buy something purpose built for the job and drive away.
The classifieds are full of barely used camper trailers
I dont think you will save any money by the time you take into account resale value
AnswerID: 420616

Reply By: nsngood - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:24

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:24
In WA you cant use the the original axle (diff).The fuel tank etc might be an issue depending on state regs as well. It would pay to try and work out some weights before you go to far as you dont want you tare weight to be too much.
It may be better to just use the tray/wellbody and make a chassis to mount this on.It would be stronger and lighter than using original chassis i think.
I have seen a few done this way and they dont look quite right (whatever that is)
Build or buy a trailer from scratch means no bolting body to chassis and i guess save weight and avoid the potential for bolts to fall out or joins(chassis to body)
to crack etc.
If you already have all the parts and some spare time go for it,but if you have to buy everything it may be better/cheaper to just buy something already done or that can be converted to what you want.
AnswerID: 420619

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:31

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:31
Hi Terry. I have seen a company making them from late model Hi Lux backs. They were on display at the Batemans Bay Caravan show last year but i cant remember their name. They had three variations on display and looked quite good. Also found this when searching for them on google.Ute Camper Trailer Hope that helps a bit. Bob.

AnswerID: 420620

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:49

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:49
Have seen a few trailers made from ute bodies and the main thing that I wonder aabout is.

The tray has more area behind the axle and this is fine when used on the vehicle because its counterbalanced by the engine and cab etc.

When made into a trailer it has much more area behind the axle than in front and would be a buggar to get the weight distribution correct.

When I asked the guy building one in QLD he said they have to put a big toolbox on the A frame to counter this.

Seems counter productive to keeping the weight down.

I would suggest the body would also be too light for an off road trailer without some substantial bracing etc.

Just my thoughts.

AnswerID: 420623

Sponsored Links