Cobb Cooker /Smoker??

Hi all,

Just bought a Cobb Premier and a bunch of the accessories to complement the set up of our cooking equipment. Have the Cadac Safari Chef for the fast cooking/bbq and keen to try out the Cobb as an alternative slow cooker/roasting.

Still yet to try the bricks vs beads advice on various threads.

The wife (The chef) has had a pretty neat idea of adding some flavouring wood chips to the top of the coals, either close to the end of cooking the roast for some flavour or directly afterwards to smoke some fresh fish/meat /capsicums (maybe cheese) etc.

Has anyone experimented with using this kind of setup on a Cobb?
Has anyone been using the cobb as a smoker also?

Thanks to all in advance.

Regards Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: patsproule - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 05:17

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 05:17
We have had a Cobb for years. I find the heat beads can be a bit variable in heat output - only use a quality brand name. If it is really slow to cook then change them.

But we have been using the "cobble" stones more recently and love them. Easy to light (no firelighters needed), faster to get going, much hotter, no smell. I cant comment on the smoking aspect, except to say that they already produce a reasonably strong BBQ smoked kind of flavour.

Pat
AnswerID: 420711

Follow Up By: gbrought - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 05:21

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 05:21
Ditto our experience on the cobble stones in the Cobb for speed in getting to cooking temp, heat and flavour, and poor performance from 'cheap' beads.

Geoff
FollowupID: 690899

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 13:07

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 13:07
The cobble stones are RS in my opinion.
Too hot. You would need to experiment in cooking with half a cobble stone and see how long the cooking process takes.

I've gone back to Heat Beads® as I know seven beads will do a leg of lamb, a pork roll, or a slab of beef, including veggies at least, with sufficient fuel over for a desert if desired.

I am going to use the remainder of the cobble stones I bought as fire starters for the Heat Beads®.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 690944

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 13:16

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 13:16
Paul,

I don't think wood chips would work in the Cobb if you placed them directly on top of the coals. They would simply ignite and burn to a crisp, imparting a nasty taste to the food..

When you look at the process for a wood smoker, the low flame is underneath the tray holding the wood chips, then a grill above this supports the fish.

If you wish to experiment, try a plate sitting on top of the fire bowl with just a couple of heat beads burning, then place the fish on the grill, or a mesh trivet sitting on top of the grill.

Personally I wouldn't bother as you would need to thoroughly clean the whole cooker afterwards.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 420752

Follow Up By: CruisinDub - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:44

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:44
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your follow up, much appreciated.

Haven't used the Cobb yet, though looking forward to some good tasty slow cooking with ease. (I hope)
By all accounts the first few meals might be seconded by the Cadac to finish off until we get past the experiment stage into the enjoyment stage. Looking forward to a tasty meals.
I am currently working between Italy, Croatia and Greece so dont have access to see a good smoker set up in person to exam how it works.
I have found last night, online search till early hours, that some people are selling a 2"x3" cats iron pot, (small!)for the hickory wood chips that you put into the cobb. Looks like you put a couple wood chips into the bowl and sit this on top of the coals. Does have a lid as well.
Have you seen this before? Do you think it will work?
Is the Cobb difficult to clean or you think the smoking action (with what ever set up) would be the issue?

Another thread has just been started on the forum regarding a slow cook time.

Thanks !
FollowupID: 691145

Reply By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 13:32

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 13:32
use wood chips in the Cobb for most roasts. Same deal as a weber, give them a soak for 30 minutes or more first.

If we are down the Murray a bit of red gum is nice.

Cheers

Pte
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

AnswerID: 420887

Follow Up By: CruisinDub - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:47

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:47
Hi Pete,

Do you put the 'soaked' wood chips directly onto the coals? From the very beginning or after towards the end?

We had the same idea, my wife suggested gum also, Maybe even some eucalyptus leaves?

I want to try a good olive branch shavings from some of the local olive trees.

Cheers Paul
FollowupID: 691147

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 03:47

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 03:47
We put the chips directrly on the coals at the start. I would not use eucalyptus leaves unless you wanted it to taste like a cough lolly.

Chips is a little misleading - we use chuncks about th esize of half a wallnut.

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

FollowupID: 691224

Follow Up By: CruisinDub - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 05:35

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 05:35
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the follow up, appreciated.

Good to know the 'chunks' work well.

My wife (the chef) does knock up a pretty good dish; keen to do my part when we are camping. Will let you know how the 'olive' tree works.

Cheers Paul
FollowupID: 691422

Sponsored Links