Silverton, Borken Hill, Menindee

Submitted: Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 14:27
ThreadID: 79328 Views:4877 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Heading out to Silverton from Canberra for a week. A few questions to those in the know...

- Is the road through West Wyalong, Hillston, Ivanhoe, Menindee to Broken Hill sealed and in reasonable condition. We are driving a Commodore with a camper trailer.
- Is there a good spot to stay in Ivanhoe on the way through? Don't think we can make Broken Hill in a day (three kids). Alternative stop points?
- Penrose Park at Silverton - we are planning to base ourselves there and do day trips to Broken Hill, Menindee Lakes and perhaps White Cliffs. Does this sound reasonable or have you done something else? Only have a week for the whole trip and am not too keen on packing up camp often.
- Any other tips on things to do and see out that way; or things to watch out for?

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John L (WA) - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 16:13

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 16:13
Just spent time in this area. Came from WA into Penrose Park - great spot. Day trip to Menindee & into Kinchega NP very doable. In short time you have wouldn't try White Cliffs if any rain or wind. Dave (ExplorOz) showed us round BH & do go into Trades Hall - magnificent building. Now on banls of Darling at Bindara Station. Minus 2 overnight but sunny days. Cheers Heather
AnswerID: 420773

Follow Up By: Member - Niss42 - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 16:38

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 16:38
G'day John.
Say Hi to Barb & Bob and the crew at Bindara.
We were there about 8 weeks ago, had a great time with great company.
Cheers,
Barry & Angela
FollowupID: 690965

Follow Up By: Member - Min (NSW) - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 19:13

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 19:13
Hi John,

Dave also gave us a wonderful day around Silverton, the sculptures and BH 3 weeks ago. A very generous man. Prior to that we were at Bindara and stayed in the Jilleroo huts as we weren't camping on that trip. We took the station tracks through to Kinchega - great trip.

Please say hi to Bob and Barb for us too. Great dinner and conversation around the campfire and loved Bob's toasted marshmallows sandwiched between Marie biscuits!

Min
FollowupID: 691006

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 18:14

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 18:14
Hi Stinz,

Did that trip 2 years ago and camped two nights between Canberra and Broken Hill. Our route from West Wyalong was through Rankin Springs where we camped in the Cocoparra State Forest, then Goolgowi to Hillston all on bitumen. Then west on the Mossgeil Road which is not sealed and could be difficult in a 2wd if there has been rain (slippery black soil in places). Possible campsite at Willandra NP. From Mossgeil its bitumen up to Ivanhoe. The road from Ivanhoe to Menindee is not sealed and when we did it the western half was quite rough in places. There is a very good free campsite at the Main Weir about 15km NE of Menindee beside Pamamaroo Lake. (Even flushing loos!) From Menindee to BH the road is sealed.

I don't think you could get from home to BH in a day, and in any case its a very interesting trip with quite a bit to see along the way. The route I have described is probably doable in a Commodore provided there has not been any rain and you are prepared to take your time.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 420787

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 19:22

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 19:22
Hi Stinz,

You will enjoy Silverton, I was surprised at how much there is to see there.

I'll probably get clobbered for saying this but I would not go to White Cliffs as it's a long way to nowhere especially with three youngsters, much better to wait and see Coober Pedy or Lightning Ridge another time.

Don't try to do too much. Relax and enjoy your holiday.

Min
AnswerID: 420803

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 20:23

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 20:23
have stayed at both Ivanhoe and Hilston travelling from Canberra to Broken Hill.
Ivanhoe had a hard surface "caravan park" behind garage with pretty basic and run down amenities but is was only about $5 for powered site.found it hard to drive in tent pegs into asphalt.
Hilston is pretty well 1/2 way and has a good van park near show ground.must have been reasonable cost because I cannot remember what we paid.had green grass though.
always travel mossigiel from ivanhoe- hilston and vice versa road if open but have experienced both very good and very bad road surfaces depending on previous weather.
that road is also bad for roos and emus near dusk.
cheers
Howard

Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 420816

Reply By: Stinz - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 07:41

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 07:41
Thanks everyone.
AnswerID: 420856

Reply By: jdbb - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 20:55

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 20:55
We did a similar trip last October.

Stayed at Ariah Park for a night - highly recommended - $5/night and very good facilities, then on to Hillston for two nights - good caravan park and very nice town. All bitumen roads up to there.

Then on towards Broken Hill. We were going to stay at Willandra Station but the flies won and we went on to Ivanhoe with plans to stay there instead.

Dirt roads all the way. Apologies to Ivanhoe but we struggled to find any good reason to stay there and continued on to Menindee. More dirt all the way. We thought the drive from Hillston to Menindee was more than enough for one day.

Next day we went on to Penrose Park at Silverton. Would stay there again - Silverton is a very interesting town and is a good place to stay and do day trips to Broken Hill and surrounding areas.

We were in a 100 series Landcruiser towing a 3.2t van. You will need to drive to the conditions. There are plenty of cattle grids along the way between Hillston and Menindee - slow down a bit when you see the signs.

Could you do this in a day? Don't really know but maybe. Why would you want to try - slow down, stop at a few places, give the family a break and enjoy the trip - it's just as good as the destination.

regards

John
AnswerID: 420964

Follow Up By: Stinz - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 08:41

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 08:41
Thanks John.
FollowupID: 691241

Sponsored Links