Erden Eruc

Submitted: Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 18:51
ThreadID: 79343 Views:2529 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My daughters' school had a visit from adventurer Erden Eruc, who I'd never heard of... I've just taken a moment to look up who he is and what he is doing and feel the need to share it with you as he is quite an amazing adventurer and is currently here in Australia.

He is attempting a human powered circumnavigation of the world and has called his feat Around n Over. He started in 2003 and is currently in Perth having just arrived after cycling here from Victoria. But firstly to arrive in Australia he approached our continent by crossing the Coral Sea by rowing from Port Moresby to the tip of Cape York in December last year. In Jan & Feb this year he used a sea kayak to paddle south along from Cape York Peninsula to Cooktown. He then cycled 3,607 km from Cooktown to Thredbo, then climbed Mt. Kosciuszko, it in April. But there is so much more he did before he even arrived in Australia (including the Kokoda Track) and his website is worth a look to follow the whole adventure which is about to continue when he sets off on the Indian Ocean soon. I have just looked up his website and read this about him:

A former Software Developer, Project Manager and Mechanical Engineer by training, Erden found the confines of the corporate work environment and the cubicle life too binding to take over as his life's work. Using his mind AND his body has now become the way for him to have a greater impact in the world.

The name "Around-n-Over" first germinated in Erden's mind while daydreaming in his cubicle about a human powered circumnavigation of the world. The route would have taken him over the top of Everest: up one side then down the other...

But this page on his site explains the journey since 2003.

So modern explorers are still around and still don't get much publicity for their efforts. Yes he is fundraising, but I think people like this just love the challenge and thank god they do - means I don't have to!! LOL

Michelle,
(sorry I entered this under my wrong profile and had to delete it and repost it).
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 19:30

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 19:30
Thanks Michelle,
interesting guy; interesting story.
BUT he needs a better website...... maybe he should become a convert... and join EO.... lol...
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 420806

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:26

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:26
Yeah, I noticed he has a few Facebook profiles though - but he is actually Turkish born so most of it is jibberish to me but he has quite a following by the look of it. I guess he doesn't have much time to bother with websites now, and FB does the job for his needs.
MM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 420881

Sponsored Links