Poser tourists in Mansfield!

Submitted: Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 19:37
ThreadID: 79345 Views:3908 Replies:11 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Driving through town in Mansfield there are tourists everywhere, usual for a long weekend and the lifeblood of the town. Had to have a laugh at the posers though.

After a weekend 4wdriving a lot of them were covered in mud and there was quite a few parked along the main stretch admiring their dirty vehicles, arms crossed seemingly proud of the mud they've brought out of the high country. It reminded me of a particular carpark when growing up where all the young hoons would hang out, admiring their cars and hoping to get some looks from passers-by. Yes I looked and also laughed, only this time they're about 40 years of age!

I just hope they have driven responsibly. After the last 2 long weekends we've had a story about a campground (different one each time) being closed by the rangers due to the grounds being cut up from 4wdrivers.

Mark.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark Howlett - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 19:40

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 19:40
Forgot to say the stories are in our local paper.
AnswerID: 420808

Reply By: Wilko - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 20:02

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 20:02
Hi Mark,

Sounds like they are compensating, Dont know why people like posing, Id rather do it then show people I've done it lol.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 420814

Reply By: Moggs - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 20:33

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 20:33
....or perhaps....just perhaps....they are responsible 4wdrivers who have just enjoyed a great weekend of responsible driving and have pulled up in town for a quick chat before they head back to Melbourne.

Or just maybe....their wife and kids have gone to get some food and they are having a chat about their much loved 4wds.

Not at all uncommon - have done it many times myself in Mansfield!
AnswerID: 420817

Follow Up By: Mark Howlett - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 20:44

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 20:44
perhaps you're right Moggs!

Mark.
FollowupID: 691022

Follow Up By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 22:34

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 22:34
Moggs, perhaps you deserve my name mate. Hope all the ladies are well and being ladies, well, young ladies.
FollowupID: 691037

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 23:52

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 23:52
You're exactly right Moggs, well in my case anyway. Waiting for the family after a great day playing in the snow up on Mt #3. & you didn't need to go looking for bog holes to get dirty as the main roads were pretty muddy just getting there. A great last weekend before the tracks are closed.
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 691044

Reply By: Member - TJ (VIC) - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 20:43

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 20:43
Hi Mark,

I'm a bit confused. They could have been waiting for their other halves to come out of the craft shop, bakery etc. Have we not all stood and admired our vehicle once or twice? What is the connection between these people having mud on their cars and camp-sites being closed?

Do you support tourism to small country towns? These blokes sound like they went out and had a great weekend and stopped to spend money in your town. Why are they posers? I just want to clarify the intention of your thread.

TJ...
AnswerID: 420819

Follow Up By: Mark Howlett - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 20:55

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 20:55
Hi TJ,

As yourself & Moggs have pointed out, I've looked at the situation from a different view and yep, I've probably jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Mark.
FollowupID: 691025

Reply By: Dasher Des - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 22:14

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 22:14
Saw the same thing here in the Riverland today, cars parked out front of the servo all covered in mud. Had to laugh myself because they would have had to bucket the water onto the track to get that much mud around here.
Shouldn't be cynical, sorry. They might have split their water tank on the camper. Nah couldn't have been, Didn't have any campers amongst them.
AnswerID: 420833

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 22:27

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 22:27
Now days when there is a mud hole in front of us with a perfectly dry side track I start going through the list of engine parts that don't like mud. Guess which track is chosen.
AnswerID: 420836

Follow Up By: Member - Amy G (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 08:02

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 08:02
Same here... saves cleaning it all out from under the car too :)
FollowupID: 691074

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 08:24

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 08:24
I think you are being a bit harsh. I wonder how many times you have been out with a few friends standing around "arms crossed seemingly proud". You see the photos of the cars lines up on Fraser etc!! Yes a lot of us are guilty of being proud.

When our club stops at the bakery, the shop owners rub their hands. So does the petrol station. How much fuel goes into eight to ten thirsty big diesels after a weekend in the Vic high country.

There was a thread about "show ponies on a forum recently and it reminded me of when I was a "showoff" if you like. I had a show off Kingswood when I was young. It could also "GO" as well.

We now have a 4.2TD landcruise with nothing on the outside to show how it performs apart from paint scratches from forrest regrowth. But I don't go knocking those with half a dozen lights on the roof, a beautiful paint job and low profile tyres. Thats their bag.

But then again I do chuckle now and then also.Well the oldies may have chuckled at me with the "Kingswood:.

Have a good day

Phil
AnswerID: 420859

Follow Up By: Mark Howlett - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:38

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:38
Yeah I would have copped a few laughs too when I painted my 12 slotters Tropicana Green to match the paintwork on my XB Falcon - then I put a spolier on it...it's all coming back!

Mark.
FollowupID: 691085

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:54

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:54
Hows this for a pose. Doug Chivas from Holden Dealer fame was our mechanic.

FollowupID: 691089

Follow Up By: Mark Howlett - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 23:18

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 23:18
I tell you what, if I blur my eyes a bit, the front of that looks like my old XW GT replica with that front spoiler & driving lights! Hope it had the rear venetion too...

Mark.
FollowupID: 691219

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 06:56

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 06:56
Your not the only one. Used to enjoy changing down a gear as we passed the GTs. Red lined at 8k revs and started to slow acceleration at about 140MPH. Doug and his mechanics wre tops.

Not just a poser. Nor any replica. She is still alive and kicking in the same paint scheme in western Sydney. Its been at the shows. We had her from brand new for 22 years. Blew uni joints until we put the 1968 350 Monaro rear end in it with the 5000 diff.

Got mud and sand on it from lots of beaches and back roads. Took to the bush like a real bushie. That's why it wasn't lowered. Big chunky wide rubber at the rear. The front spoiler came off with four wing nuts. I used to surf so it needed a bit of front clearance. It would have shown up a lot of the soft roaders around today. Pulled an old 4WD Toyota out of a muddy creek at Wonboyn Lake once. He was most embarassed. Next to the old camp ground. Ha.

It would have gone around the Karunji Track easily but notably "slowly and carefully" also.

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 691229

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 09:14

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 09:14
Oh, I dont know Mark. There may be something to your observations.

We have the Powerline track just out of Perth, very butchered and challenging.
Known to locals as 'Cowboy Alley' and you'd understand why if you saw some of the blokes, their cars and what they sometimes do.

The Lakes servo seems to be the favourite gathering venue before and after playtime, where mud and egos are on full display.

They wear their mud with as much pride as an old digger wears his medals.

Not knocking them though. Its great to see everyone out there having a ball, enjoying the outdoors, the tracks, their cars and mates.

Sooooo!!!!.......When are ya heading back out there TEX, oops, I mean BUNDY...hahaha.

Cheers......Lionel.
AnswerID: 420862

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:29

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:29
Nothing wrong with boys being boys, and boys and mud do go together. Sounds like they were having fun, hey Mark they got your attention posing and here they are famous on ExplorerOz..! Very funny, thanks for the report, pics next time would be even better.! LOL.
AnswerID: 420870

Follow Up By: Mark Howlett - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:36

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:36
Famous! I've given them the ultimate attention haven't I?

Mark.
FollowupID: 691084

Reply By: Rob! - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:30

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:30
Poser = the need to let everybody know about ones own superiority.
AnswerID: 420876

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 15:10

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 15:10
Twit poser = One able to use Twitter to let everybody know about ones own superiority and to rub it in.
FollowupID: 691102

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 22:32

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 22:32
Mark
I think you raise a valid issue. We have just returned from a short trip in the lower Darling area where there has been some recent rain but most roads are well on the way to drying out again. We regularly got passed in NPs and station tracks by 4wds going like bats out of hell, covered in mud and seemingly intent only on getting kms under their belt, rather than taking in the surroundings and experiencing the bush at its slower pace.
We managed to do about 1000 kms off the bitumen with only minimal mud on the Cruiser and C/T by avoiding mud holes on the roads, using the sidetracks the locals use. Chatting with a property owner, he commented on the "clean" condition of the vehicle and thanked me for my consideration, contrasting it with the behaviour of many 4wd drivers who seem to take every opportunity to drive through the muddy sections, thereby damaging the roads that the locals have as their only access and that, in some cases, get graded once every 2 years. He told me that he pulled up one guy in a Discovery and told him what he thought of his behaviour and what it meant for him and his business to have his roads carved up by twits from the city who behave like "boys" rather than mature men.
There are many articles in 4wd magazines bemoaning the increasing restrictions being placed on 4wd use and yet these same publications promote the very behaviour that brings more restrictions about.
Regards
Andrew
AnswerID: 420990

Follow Up By: Mark Howlett - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 23:14

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 23:14
It's a touchy subject Andrew! I completely see the likes of the blokes above doing the right thing and having a good time but I also see the damage from idiots you have described and the locked tracks and campgrounds because of it.

On some tracks I have seen it's getting close to needing a small tractor to get through, my vehicles don't have a hope in hell and it's little wonder the local rangers get fed up with it. It's always the bad apples that spoil it for everyone and I guess I take a less-than-impressed view (rightly or wrongly!) when I see some rigs rolling out of town that don't have a clean bit of duco showing.

Still, I don't own the bush, it's for everyone to enjoy and we live in a democratic country. What I consider a capable enough rig (tourer with 2 inch lift & A/T or M/T tyres) and what I constitute as a bit of off-road fun can be completely different to others - and that's how life is, we're all different.

Certainly makes for interesting chat anyway.

Mark.
FollowupID: 691218

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 00:43

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 00:43
The bush - "it's for everybody to enjoy and we live in a democratic country". True - and that means we have obligations as well as rights (and freedoms). My concern is that we are facing a "tragedy of the commons" situation, where inconsiderate use by a significant minority is risking access for the majority. We were up in the Flinders last Sept when there were a few thunderstorms about. We had planned to go out to Nuccaleena on the Monday but a quick check with Moolooloo HS indicated that it would be appreciated if we could defer that trip until Wednesday - which we did. Chatting while we topped up with fuel at Angorichina Village on Wednesday AM, we checked re the rain and the condition of the track (OK) and were told that many 4wds had gone to Nuccaleena on Monday despite being asked not to, stating that "they had come a long way to play in the mud and weren't going forego the opportunity!"
The track showed the results of this attitude - long sections of deeply rutted drying mud making for slow and bumpy driving. Not much "fun" for the station owners for the next X months as they used what is their main access track to the west of their property.
So what sort of people are these who have the attitude - "stuff you mate, I'm here to enjoy myself and if it costs you, who am I to care - I don't have to live with the damage I cause!"
Rgds
Andrew
FollowupID: 691223

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 08:28

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 08:28
Hi Andrew

When I first read the thread I thought perhaps it was a little harsh, but your posts have put some perspective on it...

Tracks are being closed, and the cost of maintaining them is often cited as the reason.....

Cheers, The Landy
FollowupID: 691238

Follow Up By: Rob! - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:19

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:19
I think you are confusing democracy with freedom.
In a democracy we freely decide to live by the rules wich are accepted by the majority.

Freedom is where everybody does whatever they want. Somalia would be a good example.

In a democracy like Australia we have the freedom to be heard and if our ideas are not being listened to, we have the freedom to leave. Like pauline did.
FollowupID: 691257

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 14:16

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 14:16
Polite applause from the back row for Rob!

As I have read somewhere;

‘For every freedom there is an equal and opposite responsibility!’

That is of course that they have not progressed in maturity, insight, imagination or empathy beyond that of a primary school bully, then laws get enacted and the nanny state gets more entrenched

PS: Rob!, I prefer poseur to poser; it has a more effete sound and gives the impression of somebody unable to walk the walk because they are missing some glands
FollowupID: 691299

Sponsored Links