HF unit of choice.

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 23:20
ThreadID: 7935 Views:2012 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I know bugger all about HF radios other than that the names Codan and Barret get bandied around quite frequently. There's a Codan 8528 that I'm wondering about because the price is right. Which ones do you use and why?

Hilly
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old Soldier - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 07:50

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 07:50
G'day Hilly,

Before you even consider what brand of HF radio to chooses, you must decide if you really NEED one.

"Wants" and "Needs" are two entirely different things.

Do you spend a lot of time alone in the bush in isolated very "out of the way" places?

If so, then maybe you NEED one.

If you don't, what are your off road uses?

Do you travel alone, or in company of others?

Do you constantly need long distance contact that is out of the range of mobile phones?

All of these things should be considered before laying out such a fair sum of money.

Once you have decided your needs based upon your travel patterns, then its time to ask your question.

I hope I am not trying to teach you how to "suck eggs" mate, I just thought the points above could be useful

enjoy the bush

DennisN

AnswerID: 34417

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 09:28

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 09:28
If he wants one and can afford it then why not. If we took away all our wants we wouldn't be left with much at all. Do most of us need to travel into the bush!My Best Mates
Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 24792

Follow Up By: Hilly - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:43

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:43
Thanks Dennis but the question wasn't how should I spend my money. It was, If I'm going to spend my money, what is the best bang for my buck?

Cheers,

Hilly
FollowupID: 24797

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 19:04

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 19:04
thanks for reminding me Mad Dog....just need to find a way to stop the missus telling me "you dont need it" ...little wonder I've got nothingWow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 24845

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 20:05

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 20:05
Do what I do. Buy it and let her discover it. When she asks what it cost I reply "I forget exactly but it was a few bucks"My Best Mates
Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 24858

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 20:11

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 20:11
you'll get me shot...no she hasnt got a gun...er I mean she'd tell the coppers that I accidently walked backwards into a knife she was holding lol lolWow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 24862

Reply By: Tony - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:23

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:23
An 8528 with Auto tune antenna is a good choice, I have had one since 91, and apart from a service every 3 years (de-dust) have not had an ounce of trouble with it. And been able to make contact from anywhere in Aus including Tas.

Its been on some rough tracks inc, Canning, Cape, Kimberly etc. a bit of the plastic has been worn off the tip of the antenna from hitting trees and the odd awning at servos, but it can be re-covered.
AnswerID: 34444

Follow Up By: Hilly - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:47

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:47
Thanks, Tony. Is there any significant difference between the 8528 and the newer 9323? I know it's a more modern unit but is it easier to use or have MUCH better filtering or things like that. I just want an easy to use reliable unit.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers,

Hilly
FollowupID: 24799

Follow Up By: Tony - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 12:25

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 12:25
I have heard that the 9323 is a bit harder to get the hang of.
FollowupID: 24801

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 20:21

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 20:21
Hi All,
I have an 8525 in my yacht, before Telstra closed down their coastal stations last year it was a good medium to be able to get emergency broadcasts out on. The frequencies that are now available, may be different on the land base frequencies. are not as good as they use to be. HF is on the decline, I believe, and I'am afraid that Sat phones are going to take it's place.
Paying big prices for HF's now could be costly.
Plus they take up a lot of room in the vehicle, I thought about taking the set out of the yacht, getting the land base freq's put in but could not find the space to put it , then again maybe I could down grade and buy a Toyota or Nissan to put it in.
Bye for now.
Bruce and Anne. MU-ving on
AnswerID: 34504

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (WA) - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:20

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:20
Sorry to disagree about HF being on the decline , try telling the VKS737 network that . It,s still the fastesr gowing group around .Why go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
FollowupID: 24882

Follow Up By: landie - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 23:00

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 23:00
I'm with you Errol. It is a reliable form of communication and it is free to air and as you mentioned VKS737 is growing, not declining.

Apart from land based and maritime users, all air transport aircraft are required to have HF radios fitted, that in itself will ensure a thriving industry for HF radio manufacturers for a long time to come and despite the availability of Satphone communications.

The original question was about a Codan unit. I think it is worthwhile looking at the Barrett Öutback Package which comes in around $3,000. Brand new with warranty etc, if for nothing else other than a comparison of what is available.
FollowupID: 24909

Reply By: Member - Keith - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 15:37

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 15:37
If you want some basic info on HFs, buy the book:
'HF Radio for Travellers'
by Chris & Michael Aulich
from the ExplorOz Shop.

Helps to make an informed decision on HF equipment.
AnswerID: 34610

Reply By: STAN - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 14:12

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 14:12
Hi Hilly
Go out and buy the 8528. I have had mine for over ten years and I have been with the vks737 network for the past two years and have been with radtell for one year. If you an isolated places traveller it gives you security and confidence and the feeling that you not alone.As for emergencies, my radio has been used for more for others than I have used for myself. I can phone loved ones where and when I like and The VKS network gives road and weather reports every evening three or four times. You can talk to others that have been where you are going and they can tell you places you may well have missed . The vks net can contact you to pass messages from family urgent or other wise. Don't beat around the bush Hilly buy it and you won't look back. I'll be hearing from you
Stan
AnswerID: 35250

Reply By: STAN - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 14:12

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 14:12
Hi Hilly
Go out and buy the 8528. I have had mine for over ten years and I have been with the vks737 network for the past two years and have been with radtell for one year. If you an isolated places traveller it gives you security and confidence and the feeling that you not alone.As for emergencies, my radio has been used for more for others than I have used for myself. I can phone loved ones where and when I like and The VKS network gives road and weather reports every evening three or four times. You can talk to others that have been where you are going and they can tell you places you may well have missed . The vks net can contact you to pass messages from family urgent or other wise. Don't beat around the bush Hilly buy it and you won't look back. I'll be hearing from you
Stan
AnswerID: 35251

Reply By: wazza - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 14:16

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 14:16
Hilly,

Forgot to give Fluff the Outback Challenge DVD. Can you email me yours or Fluff's address so I can send it over. Ta.

wazzagray [at] yahoo [dot] co [dot] uk

Wazza
AnswerID: 37809

Sponsored Links