Satellite TV Feedback

We live in a regoinal area of West Australia. The area is in the south west and does have coverage which can be recieved by normal ext antenna. It is on some channels very poor quality. I have opted to install a dish to access free to air TV. My query is that we are unable to access the main Perth stations apart from ABC, SBS, GWN, Win. Why can we not recieve the extra digital channels? Is there a law preventing us from getting normal TV reception?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 15:11

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 15:11
You can only get the channels that are transmitted via satellite. At this stage no digital stations are available although it is digital TV we get through the satellite.
One day someone in Canberra will realise that not everyone lives in a city and will will be permitted to access a wider range of stations.
Same thing with Satellite internet. The subsidy is being cut out because of the fibre optic roll out. Can't see if we don't have copper cable available to the property that we will get fibre optic.

Neil

AnswerID: 420900

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 15:45

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 15:45
The gov has. See this link Digital ready And see here Digital TV
See here for an extended discussion on the problems of getting information on accessing the VAST system New Vast TV system
Basically it is called VAST and will require a digital decoder which is not yet available.
FollowupID: 691113

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 15:14

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 15:14
Not much help here Goldfind but I can tell you after our trip along the Great Ocean Road in Vic that just 240km west of Melbourne on the GOR the locals receive NT and North Qld channels. TV programs are mostly the same, but, the time difference with daylight savings causes confusion and the advertising has no relevance to Vic.

So you are not alone there and I have no idea why this is, but, the digital roll-out which I thought was well under way is dragging the chain significantly, Broken Hill gets their update in December 2012 if I have read the Gov Website correctly.

Regards
Paul H

Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 420901

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 15:17

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 15:17
Sorry for the misleading info, that should be December 2010 - Kevin Rudd and his lads are getting there .........

Paul H

Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 691106

Reply By: TrevorMR (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 20:20

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 20:20
We are about 15KMs south of Yallingup and have had Sat. Tv for about 10 years. We also only have the choice of ABC, SBS, Win & GWN - all analogue. We used to be able to access ABC & SBS from the eastern states but haven't tried that recently. Apparently, there is a law preventing us from getting 7 & 9 in the country.

I wanted to buy a 12v decoder for my caravan but it seems that we will have to change our decoders when digital becomes available so have put that on hold for now.
AnswerID: 420957

Follow Up By: Goldfind (Dunsborough) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 13:13

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 13:13
Trevor,
Thanks for your reply,and its nice to know there is someone else like minded down this way, feel free to send us an email to make contact or just to have a chat

Wayne H
FollowupID: 691290

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:20

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:20
The present satellite TV transmissions are actually digital but standard definition. The new VAST system is digital standard and high definition. HD is one reason a new decoder is required. There is still confusion as to whether the present boxes will continue to be able to receive the SD signals. A new box may be required because of the new encryption standard. As someone said, we will have to sit on our hands and wait.
FollowupID: 691304

Reply By: Goldfind (Dunsborough) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:53

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:53
Thanks for the feedback guys, I guess its a matter of sitting on our hands waiting for Mr Rudd to follow through with another promise (digital reception rollout)

Wayne H
AnswerID: 421045

Sponsored Links