RVMAA Report Update

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 15:25
ThreadID: 79370 Views:3083 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
As many of you will recall I am in the process of preparing a report for submission to RVMAA concerning the caravan industry in Australia and the many shortcomings of those who sell us the mobile homes we use. For many their caravan is the second most expensive item they will buy in their lifetime and to put it bluntly ‘they are being ripped off’.

The report is still some time away from completion due in part to the ever increasing pool of data and information which is coming to hand.

Of concern at the moment following the Brisbane Caravan and Camping Show last weekend are reports that all is not well within the RVMAA. A Sydney spy had reported that a meeting held in conjunction with the last Sydney Show was not as ‘polite’ as one would have expected and that there were actually some who voted with their feet and walked out of that meeting in disgust. As yet another attempt by Queensland to go one up on NSW it now appears that the Brisbane meeting last Friday was so bad, and the shouting so loud, that many of those members who were in attendance did a Tamana Tahu and walked out and furthermore they would like to see the members of the executive who were involved follow Joey Johns into oblivion.

For those of us who sit around the Happy Hour fires we always thought that the RVMAA was run by people from a major manufacturer but it does appear that despite changes at the recent elections the whole thing is now controlled by a clique from yet another manufacturer since the new chairman and one of the old team are both from organizations owned by a ‘would be big’ company. I am told that there are real concerns held by local members that RVMAA could implode. However I am also led to understand that there are already moves afoot in the south to form a new Association of manufacturers who are prepared to live by a Code of Practice and provide the products and the services which we, the end users, are looking for. There are good builders out there but like when I go fishing there is too much space in between and there is absolutely no supervision being applied by Govts. or Govt Depts. Like the manufacturers there are too many taking their money under false pretences.

We as consumers need to know that there is someone watching the road and providing information and up to date technical advice to those who operate in the workshops. Another rumour would indicate that the dissemination of Technical Info through RVMAA is now banned by the Executive.

This whole mess does little for those who have to trust the industry to be honest and up front.

Kevin J
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 16:36

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 16:36
Hi Kevin,

As a complete greenhorn in regards to any regulations that may or may not exist for caravans and manufacturers of such, please pardon this "simple" question.

Don't caravans have to meet ADR requirements? and as such could this then be considered the minimum building requirements for the van as well? When vans are registered they must surely meet some standard to be allowed on our roads and this then be the check point for the manufacturers?

Thanks for any valuable information you provide as answers.

On a side note, the Brissy show emptied my wallet with a beaut set of towing mirrors for my GU. Finally a mirror that won't shake and fold in with the passing of each truck hehehe.

Regards,
Trevor.
AnswerID: 420911

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 17:13

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 17:13
The short answer to each of your questions is Yes. However the answer in reallity is Who Checks? I already have numerous instances where vans are on the road with axels, wheels, tow balls, frames, etc which go no where near to meeting the ADRs. The big thing is called 'self certification'.

With regards registration I can only comment on what I have seen and that is that a caravan arrives at the dealers yard from the manufacturer and it is then registered and delivered to the customer without moving out of the yard. Does the inspector come to the yard? I don't think so. When was it weighed with full water and gas? Our own van came with empty tanks so I assume someone 'guessed the weight' for the registration or took what was on the compliance plate as dinkum.

These are just a couple of the issues which RVMAA and all the members should look at. A lot has been said about having an RVMAA sticker on the product being a indication of Quality. HOW?

Glad you enjoyed the Show and found what you wanted.

Kevin J
FollowupID: 691127

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 19:22

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 19:22
Thank you for your insight. I must admit my van weighs empty more than the GVM on the compliance plate and have no idea how the manufacturer come to the conclusions on this compliance plate.

It would be nice to have an independant body with a set standard for weights and quality controls across all vans, check manufacturers for quality consistency and regulation adherance.

Regards,
Trevor.
FollowupID: 691156

Follow Up By: fawkesp - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 19:35

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 19:35
Trevor,

Without meaning to hijack your thread, but I am in the market for some replacement mirrors (I lost one coming back from Canberra a couple of weeks ago) and I was wondering which ones you settled on.

Peter.
FollowupID: 691159

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 19:52

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 19:52
Peter,

These ones is what I decided on. Not cheap but with three throw away pairs all sitting in the shed totalling half the cost of this pair I figured it to be a proper fix to my problems. Full replacement mirror fitted in a half hour this arfternoon.

Cheers, Trevor.
FollowupID: 691163

Sponsored Links