Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar MTR tyres

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:12
ThreadID: 79378 Views:7064 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

At the risk of setting the cat amongst the pigeons on what is the best tyre on the market; I have had a set of Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar MTR's for 9 months on my IFS 100 series.

I just completed 4 weeks most of which was cross country Great Sandy Desert driving and only got one puncture. This was in terrain where I would normally expect to get between 6 and 8 punctures. Last year I limped into Kalgoorlie with no spares left (I had 3 spares). My puncture total was 7 in 2 weeks.

Back to the Wranglers. I took out Goodyear puncture insurance and because it was a sidewall puncture they can't be repaired and Goodyear are giving me a new one pro rata and there's still 13 mm of tread left!

A mate with over 30 years of serious of road exploration driving used to use split rim concrete like tyres to reduce puncture risk. For example he was part of the WA Calvert retracing expedition in 1996. He was thrilled to bits with the Wanglers and as bought a set himself, no more split rims for him.

Like I said above I do extreme off road exploration type driving and not caravan towing or mainly bitumen gravel road driving.

These Goodyear Wrangler Kevlars suit my driving requirements. After 17 years of being a BGF man - sorry no longer.

cheers
Phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul N (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 20:46

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 20:46
I have 8 of the old MTRs and love em. I drove one of them while flat on the bitumen at 80 km/h for about 20 km. Needless to say it was stuffed. Replaced - no question, pro rata (cost me $60) with a new kevlar on the off-road hazard damage warranty. I'll be sticking with the MTRs on both my Patrols.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 420962

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 21:01

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 21:01
I have old type MTRs too and recon their fantastic.

been hearing all bad and no good stories about the new ones though!
Regards
GN
FollowupID: 691181

Follow Up By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 09:02

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 09:02
Hi GN
What bad stories have you heard?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691246

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 09:17

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 09:17
Hi Phil B

I have heard of 3 who claim tyres wereworn out at under 20K. I have only seen the actual tyres on one of these reports and they were 15K old and buggered. Plus this was a trady ute in mallee country + bitumin, no gibber rock or anything like that.

I am am not sure what to buy next as i am so happpy with the old type i had planned to buy nothing else but!!!

Regards
GN
FollowupID: 691248

Follow Up By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:54

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:54
HI GN,

Wearing out that fast puzzles me, I've done around 15,000 kms and there was still 13 mm of tread left on the damaged one! At that speed of wear I'm looking at 50,000 to 60,000 plus.

I'm very hard on tyres (see above) because of where I go and these maybe the first set of tyres I'll actually, wear out in long time. Why, because they are usually destroyed by damage etc well before wearing out.

The replacement tyre cost me $78 pro rata fitted and balanced. Can't complain about that.

cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691306

Reply By: Black Cobra (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:15

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:15
Phil,

I have been running a set of the old style Goodyear MTR's on the F250 for the past 3 years and never had a flat tyre. I staked one through the sidewall on an overgrown track but that was my fault as I had the pressure down to 12psi after coming off the beach, should have put a bit more air in and it would not have happened.

I had the side wall of one of the tyres start to buldge when I was doing a trip through the Kennedy and Carnarvon Ranges back last Sept. so I put it on the back of the truck and even though it was loosing pressure all the time it continued on until just two days ago and the side wall started to split. I checked the tyre when it was taken off and it only had the last inner liner left so this is a pretty good for the weight of the vehicle that it was carrying.

Purchased a set of the new Kevlar MTR's as you cannot get the old tread pattern anymore and had them fitted two days ago so time will see how they stand up.

I only completed 36000 km's on the old set but that was towing a heavy BT van through off road country. The old pattern that I took off still had plenty of tread left and now are used for additional spares if required on long trips.

I heard the same that the exporation guys were using these tyres as they say they can handle the punishment. I have always had BFG tyres on all my previous 4WD's and had a good run out of them but it was recommended by three different tyre places in Qld that because of the weight of the F250 and the gear I carry the Goodyears would be better.

Stewart
AnswerID: 421035

Sponsored Links