Trip to WA

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 23:54
ThreadID: 7938 Views:1346 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I am trying to plan my leave next month and have just been advised by a higher authority that we are going to Perth (from Canberra) - there is a wedding. I had been planning a trip north but hey such is life.

I have never been over there and was wandering which are some of the best places to go (I have four weeks all up - allowing for two weeks travelling time).
I have been looking arounfd and it seems that I could go south to Albany and back from Perth or I could go North up towards Denham etc.

Any suggestions?

Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:00

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:00
Richard
You could do both directions in the four weeks. I'd certainly include those areas to the south including Albany, Walpole, Denmark, Pemberton and the wine areas of the Great Southern. On the way back I'd include the Margaret River region.
To the north the coastal strip as far as Kalbarri is essential. Crays will be in season. Further north may be too much, depending on who you have in the vehicle with you (kids may not appreciate the extra distance). If you are driving over, consider coming home via the Great Central Rd.Bob
AnswerID: 34419

Reply By: ross - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:47

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:47
After driving all that distance to get here you may find more driving a little too much.I recommend once the weddings over head south to somewhere like Augusta/Margaret river and make it your base to do day trips out of . There is so much within 100 klm for a family to do such as bushwalks,beaches, historic buildings,caves,steam locomotives,wineries,fishing.Personally I think trying to fit a trip north would take the shine off your holiday with endless days of driving especially for the driver. Save the nor west for when youve got more time and also its best done when southern half is in winter.
AnswerID: 34427

Reply By: ross - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:47

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:47
After driving all that distance to get here you may find more driving a little too much.I recommend once the weddings over head south to somewhere like Augusta/Margaret river and make it your base to do day trips out of . There is so much within 100 klm for a family to do such as bushwalks,beaches, historic buildings,caves,steam locomotives,wineries,fishing.Personally I think trying to fit a trip north would take the shine off your holiday with endless days of driving especially for the driver. Save the nor west for when youve got more time and also its best done when southern half is in winter.
AnswerID: 34428

Reply By: Member - Richard- Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 14:55

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 14:55
Guys,
Thanks for the replies - it will be just two of us - kids grown up.

I will only have two weeks in WA as am allowing two weeks of travel there and back - hope that is enough as do not want to rush (well not that much).

I have never been there before so looking forward to it (as well as break from work!).

Thanks again,
Richard
AnswerID: 34464

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 08:27

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 08:27
Richard,
the drive over there from Canberra can be done in less than 2 days, rushed (its 36 hours stick time). You wouldn't want to do that but I doubt you will need a week. Leaving Canberra early (0800) you could spend the first night in Burra (about 11 hours drive). The country starts to get interesting from here on, for a while. So you could spend one or a few days reaching Ceduna, depending on your interests. Aftere Ceduna, there aren't many reasons to tarry until Eucla. Have a look at the old telegraph station and jetty.
FollowupID: 24918

Reply By: Member - Errol (WA) - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:14

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:14
If you end up in York , look me up at Jah - Roc furniture . Easy to find , i,ll be the blacksmith . Come in and say g,day . Im usualy there during the week .Why go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
AnswerID: 34514

Sponsored Links