Credit card facilities on Savannah Way

We are travelling from Cairns to Broome on the Savannah Way in August and I was wondering if credit card facilities are readily available for payment for fuel and caravan/camping sites. I have read that Hells Gate is cash only but do other places generally accept credit cards? Also does anyone know what places have ATM facilities along the route?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:47

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:47
Wendy,

From the LCOOL site a reply from the new owners of the Doomadgee Roadhouse

"We have now been on site from the 14th Dec and our plans for this years dry (2010) will be a small range of Auto (4WD) parts, minimart grocerys, normal roadhouse takeaways, ATM, eftpos, 7 days week trading and all going well access to fuel 24h with card system ...... camping will not be available this year but planning is under way for both on-site accom, camping/caravan, pool ect to start in 2011.....
Hells Gate have confirmed they will be open and trading this year (2010) for camping, on-site accom and meals/food but will be CASH ONLY, hence our ATM install here ....... they can not get eftpos facilitys connected ...."

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 420936

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:48

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:48
The contact details are -

Doomadgee Roadhouse.... Ph, 07 4745 8298 Fx, 07 4745 8298

HTH
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691148

Follow Up By: Member - T N (Qld) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 22:45

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 22:45
Wendy we found that they advertise EFTPOS, but the systems down,
Take cash for isolated areas, happy travel's.
FollowupID: 691212

Reply By: Fatso - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:03

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:03
"CASH IS KING"
Always has been. Always will be.
AnswerID: 421086

Reply By: blue one - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:31

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:31
Agree,
Have been able to buy fuel in well developed places such as Innaminka when others couldn't because the EFTPOS was down.

Cheers
AnswerID: 421089

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:38

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:38
You will find that most places have / take credit cards if and when the system is working , BUT , most also charge a % fee for credit cards especially Amex and nil places take Diners , cash still rules.
AnswerID: 421157

Reply By: Joe n Mel - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 20:52

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 20:52
Well hello everyone...........
Myself and my wife and kids are the "managers" of the Doomadgeee Roadhouse so to answer any questions you have i will try to do so now....
We have EFTPOS only at the moment, it is as reliable as any we have operated in the past 5 years .....
We dont charge any fees other than any normally associated banking fees that we have no control over.....
We do NOT do cash outs on the EFTPOS due to a "ruling" from the owners of the roadhouse and we dont have an atm "yet" ..... we are getting there ...
Hells Gate do NOT have EFTPOS, they can not get it connected so are cash only ....
Hells Gate DO sell fuel ......
Our hours at the moment are 8-30 to 5-00 weekdays and 8-00 to 1-00 on sat and closed on Sun and i should add closed on a public holiday....
We have advertised for positions to fill to get it open 7 days and late trading but still trying to get someone, give us 3 weeks and we, fingers crossed, will be open 7 days...
We took over the Roadhouse in 14th of Dec last year and it has had serious problems with past "issues", we are very, very slowly building it up to be open 7 days, have ATM, full mini mart and so on, we are about 4 weeks away from finally getting our new point of sale in (about $40,000) and it will have 2 eftops terminals as well as (fingers crossed) the ATM, we have a really bad wet season and it has delayed most projects but we are happy to say we are getting there.... yep ya are all right, take cash ...
But PLEASE feel free to ring us any time for road conditions and up dates, happy to hear from you guys and assist you all ...........
AnswerID: 421356

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 07:20

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 07:20
Joe,

Hope all goes well with the upgrades ;)

I think having someone with 1st hand experience with the road conditions etc up there will only be of assistance for everyone wishing to travel in the area.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691747

Follow Up By: Graham & Ann - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 16:50

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 16:50
Thanks for your input Joe n Mel......if your still there next winter we'll be in touch as well as call in and top up on our way west from Lawn Hill/KFC. All the best in your attempt to get the RH on track.
FollowupID: 693191

Sponsored Links