Tekonsha brake controler on 03 prado.. Now no cruise control???

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 21:59
ThreadID: 79388 Views:4116 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I have fitted a tekonsh voyager brake controler to my 03 prado. I now have no cruise control. I cant seem to find a fuse dedicated to cruise, and even after disconecting the brake controler, i still have no cruise control? I have contacted Toyota service but they were of no use. I contacted spare parts after being told it required an interface between the brake switch and brake controler, but toyota had no info on that either. Have spoken to an auto elec who said i must have blown the switch and will now have no brake lights either, but they work as they should. My first priority is to get the cruise working, but the brake controler also..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: donk - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 22:56

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 22:56
Where did you connect the wire from the controller that goes to the vehicle brake light wire to

Regrds Don
AnswerID: 420993

Follow Up By: donk - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 22:59

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 22:59
Also if you think you have a blown fuse have you looked in then owners manual as it normally lists what fuse is for what function in the rear section of the manual or have you just been reading the fuse box cover

Regards Don
FollowupID: 691215

Follow Up By: donk - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 23:03

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 23:03
Also from memory isn't there 2 wires on the cold side of the brake light switch on the Prado's where you would normally connect the trigger wire to

Regards Don
FollowupID: 691216

Reply By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 00:16

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 00:16
you have hookeed up the red wire to the wrong wire on the brake light switch. cant remember the correct colour . check rear lights for correct corresponding wire
AnswerID: 421003

Follow Up By: prado-Mark - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 05:04

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 05:04
I checked inside both fuse covers for the cruise control fuse but could not find it, then went to the back of the owners manual and went through all the fuses listed there, but there doesnt seem to be any mention of cruise control at all.
cant remember what colour wire i connected it to on the brake switch, but it was one with power when the brake was depresed.
What has me stumped, is why after removing the brake controler, i still have no cruise. Yet, when the brake controler was conected, it worked fine.
Prado-Mark.
FollowupID: 691225

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 04:52

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 04:52
Mark

Wonder if there is some kind of feedback from the brake controller, that tells the cruise control that the brake has been applied.

Just a thoought

Better go to an Auto-Lec

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 421148

Reply By: PradOz - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:54

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:54
Mark - Just wondering if on the Tekonsha brake controller there is the bit that allows you to put van brakes on without touching the brake pedal. Mine does. If yours has it, i wonder if it is jammed on so that the cruise thinks you are braking. Even without a van hooked up, you can have cruise control on and then slide the "van brakes: ON with the slider on top and it cuts the cruise control ( you dont even have to slide it far to do that). Check what happens if you fiddle with it, may have a short? What model Tekonsha brake controller is yours? There was a recall in USA for some but not here if it was an older one. I got mine replaced by talking to USA by email but it was a complicated process. If its an older one what colour sticker is on the controller? cheers mick
AnswerID: 421293

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 17:44

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 17:44
Buy a Prodigy or a P3 and have no troubles.

Dont know about the Prado but I connected my Prodigy to the cold side of the brake switch and havent had any probs.

Some other makes have two wires on that side so maybe you got the wrong one.

AnswerID: 421329

Sponsored Links