Looking for a new GPS

Hi I have been looking for a new GPS and boy is it a problem.

I have a couple of other posts re this.

I have a PDA running copilot 8 and Oziexplorer.

It is a bit of an old set up and the screen is a bit small.

I have also a gift of a few dollars to spend so considered a new GPS set up like IPHONE,IPAD etc

I gave up on the IPHONE option then considered more main stream.

I looked at the Garmin Nuvi range 1490T - looks good but was a bit concerned over losing all my Ozi maps and time spent. But I tried to hava look. I wanted to look at the OZTOPO sample from GPSOZ

This is proving impossible. I tried to install Mapsource following some instructions I found on the net - where you can install it even if you don't own it. It would not install beause you need service pack 3.
I then tried on a laptop which has SP 3 but it would not install using the instructions.

I then tried installing Basecamp but was told I did not have the right .NET set up - I gave up after this as this was a work machine. OZI is so simple to install!!

I even tried a MAC but you have d/l a differnet product which does run but the sample from GPSOZ does not display so gave up on that

In the mean time my PC stopped dead - no power. I would like to blame Mapsource for this as well but can't.

I looked at Hema Navigator 5 but is expensive and I see people complaining about it and Route 66 is not that good from what I have heard. It is also very expensive - more than I have.

I looked at VMS but I think to run Ozi you have to maintain two SD cards - could be wrong.

So I have given up the idea all together and will spend my money else where.

Or might look for one of those cheap chinese 5" screens which you can hack?

RIchard

First I found you need Windows service pack 3 which I did not have
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Aaron L (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:18

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:18
Hi Richarh, I run Oziexplorer on a 10in Win7 tablet connected to USB Bu353 Ext GPS Antenna. RAM Mounted in the Car, works awesome for mapping, routing on large trips (also interent via NextG Modem or Tethered to my Iphone - where signal allows obviously).

More on topic for you though:
FOR Shorter trips, I have just purchased and setup a Garmin 756T with OzTopo on a SD card, works flawlessly and relatively cheap to setup for a portable ie all up under $500. cheers Aaron
AnswerID: 421028

Reply By: HGMonaro - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:57

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:57
these GPS questions always depend on what you want from them. I run OziCE on a $100 3.5" no-name Chinese navigator GPS but I rarely want to look at the screen (it is a bit small for comfortable reading). My main purpose is track logging and it does that fine. It does have Route 66 (I think... I have hardly used it so can't remember exactly) which from memory seemed to work ok. If you want to log your route, you need something that will do this (the Hema won't run two ap's at once, so if you want turn-by-turn navigatation, you can't log the route as well), no idea about VMS. If you want to still run Ozi, a 5" Ebay special might be the ticket. You could always buy a cheap navigator (Tom Tom, Garmin, etc) just for navigation. Would be cheaper than the Hema/VMS options and more versatile (can do both jobs at once)
AnswerID: 421032

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:20

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:20
I would upgrade to the new Iphone 4 because the GPS is new and the screen incredible, there are so many GPS Apps for the Iphone and I believe the Iphone is the future. I have been playing with Memory Map, Motion X GPS and a few others. I have never used Ozi Explorer however I understand your legacy there. If you don't want to commit to a dedicated GPS, the Iphone 4 would be my choice, on sale about now I believe.
AnswerID: 421036

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:23

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:23
Richard,

I've just got one of these:

7" GPS

It took 2 weeks to arrive from China but it works fine. It runs WinCE6 and running Oziexplorer is very easy - no hacking required. It has 2GB in flash memory and takes 8GB SDHC cards so all my maps are on the one card.

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 421037

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 13:11

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 13:11
After Etrex, Magellan, Ipaq and Navman (running Oxi) I have also landed on one of these. Fits well on the Troopy dash and can get a good perspective of where I am relative to other places. Cheap option if you already own Ozi and Hema maps etc. Cheers Leigh
FollowupID: 691289

Follow Up By: Member - Richard C (ACT) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:54

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:54
Peter,
That looks good.

I had to decide today so got a Netbook. In the end it cost me nothing as was a gift for leaving work.

I will now have plenty of time to investigate the above.

Richard
FollowupID: 691351

Follow Up By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 21:40

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 21:40
Peter,

I noticed in the FAQ at the bottom of the linked page someone asked specifically if it can run OziExplorer and the answer was NO! What goes?

Kingo
FollowupID: 691389

Follow Up By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 21:48

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 21:48
Evening Kingsley,

That does seem a strange answer given that it is unlocked. In any case it does run Ozi. I've got an 8GB SDHC card loaded with OziCE and all my maps. Works fine. In the Settings menu you can sleect the GPS program to run. So you can switch from iGO to OziCE easily depending on what type of system you need.

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

FollowupID: 691392

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 08:17

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 08:17
"installing" 3rd party software is different from "running" software from a card
FollowupID: 691436

Follow Up By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 20:06

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 20:06
Peter,

I am interested in your setup because I run a HP Travel Companion (model 312) which was an easy hack using info found on the web. It was simply a matter of writing a line or two on the SD Card. It does of course require a soft reboot when changing from the original software to the OziExplorer CE. I suppose that is what Member No1 is saying above.
The larger display would be nice.

Another interesting development in my GU Patrol (and possibly other vehicles) is the complete replacement of the original radio/CD/Tape player (double DIN space) with a device that incorporates a mini computer and a 7 inch multi use touch screen.
linkhere

Maybe it would help the original request from Richard, above.

Kingo
FollowupID: 691548

Follow Up By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 09:45

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 09:45
Kingsley

The double DIN options look interesting but I've already replaced the radio with a Pioneer setup that has an iPOD link along with fitting the GME UHF radio in the second slot.

I've been testing the 7" for the last couple of days and it works fine around town.

A good cheap solution IMHO.

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

FollowupID: 691590

Follow Up By: Pacer59 - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 11:56

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 11:56
Hi Peter
Can you provide any info or feedback on the quality of this unit in operation - especially the IGO maps, their accuracy, screen quality etc. It looks good - especially as it will run Oziexplorer maps. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Regards
Rob
FollowupID: 691764

Follow Up By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 12:15

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 12:15
Rob

I've been testing the GPS for the last few days with iGO and Ozi. It works well with both. The screen is good too.

The change from one to the other is done through setup.

It also runs on WinCE6 and has 2GB flash memory which is where iGO sits. I have Ozi on an 8GB SDHC card.

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

FollowupID: 691765

Follow Up By: Member - Richard C (ACT) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 13:01

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 13:01
Hi,
I assume you install OZi on the device - not just run from the SD card - is that true?

Richard
FollowupID: 691771

Follow Up By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 13:32

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 13:32
Richard

No. As I mentioned above, iGO comes installed on the flash memory but I have Ozi running from the SD card. You could install on the flash if you wanted to but I have all my maps on the SD card and have made a backup.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

FollowupID: 691773

Reply By: bgreeni - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:48

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:48
I have a HP 212 running both OziCE and iGo8. I use a bluetooth GPS. The 212 takes both a CF and SD card up to 16mb so heaps of room for maps. Also has wifi so I can use it for all web applications and much else as well. Will run of battery for several hours. The screen is very good and viewable in most light situations.
AnswerID: 421039

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:25

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:25
I have researched many gps and none come close to my Garmin, I have owned 9 different Garmins since 1997, each one better than the previous, the one I have now is the Nuvi 765 with Garmin Topo, it has all I need in a GPS , as for Ozi...and I've said this many times before , you might as well just use the Hema Paper map,
With this setup one can zoom out to show all Australia if or zoom in to under 100m,

Image Could Not Be Found
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 421078

Follow Up By: blue one - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:26

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:26
Hi Doug,
I bought a 760 on your advise with OZTOPO and it has been a great unit, 4 years of excellent value. Thanks to you and GPSOZ.

The only draw back has been in some remote locations where there are no tracks shown on OZTOPO though they are on OZI. (ie Walkers Crossing) and tracks around the rock.

Are Garmin going to upgrade their topo version to fill in the gaps?

Cheers

Steve
FollowupID: 691342

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:45

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:45
Steve
Not sure what OzTopo is like now, last time I checked Garmin was just a bit better, The track from Innamincka to Birdsville track is shown too.

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691348

Follow Up By: Member - Aaron L (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:49

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:49
HI Gents I have OzTopo running on my Nuvi 765, What is the Garmin Topo Product Called??? maybe im missing something. cheers Aaron
FollowupID: 691349

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:53

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:53
Aaron
For Garmin Topo CLICK HERE

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691350

Follow Up By: Member - Richard C (ACT) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 19:01

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 19:01
After a LOT of downloads and stuffing around I was able to install Mapsource and look at the OZTROPO sample. As it turned out OZTOPO does not work on the latest version of Mapsource. There were plenty of notes on GPSOZ site but of course I did not read them properly.

I have been using Ozi for quite a few years now and like it as easy to use.

But must admit the Mapsource and Oztopo map was good and would suit my purposes.

I have decided to wait and see as I have as mentioned above gone for a Netbook. But will look at the options later .

Thanks to all for comments - it was really just a big gripe from me at the frustration of trying to get Mapsource working so I could look at the sample maps on my laptop/pc/mac.

Richard
FollowupID: 691352

Follow Up By: Member - Aaron L (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 19:28

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 19:28
THKS Doug. New Maps to play with Noice.... cheeers Aaron
FollowupID: 691360

Follow Up By: blue one - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 19:43

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 19:43
Ah ha,
So Walkers crossing to Innaminka is now shown, excellent. What about coming up from Kings Canyon through Boggy Hole and onwards to the West McDonnell Ranges?

Thanks

Doug
FollowupID: 691362

Reply By: Polaris - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:39

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:39
Not sure what your problem is with the Garmin software, but I used Mapsource to create a GARMIN micro SD with shonkymaps and also tracks 4 australia - and the card works fine in either my GPSMAP 60CSX or my Nuvi 1490t.

I use the 60CSX either handheld or on a barmount on my dirtbikes - it also has Garmin TOPO Australia on it - for autorouting.

The Nuvi 1490t is usually in the 4x4 or motorhome - of course it comes with City Navigator. Being able to switch between CN and either Shonky or T4A makes the Nuvi quite friendly. Also the Shonky contours work seemless in conjunction with CN.
AnswerID: 421107

Reply By: Skippy In The GU - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:56

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:56
Don't buy the Nuvi 1490T if you want to run Garmin Topo Aus v2, it just doesn't like it.
AnswerID: 421110

Reply By:- Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 16:11

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 16:11
If you want peace of mind and support DO NOT BUY NAVMAN they just stop support (other than expensive map upgrades) for a product i.e. N series etc, Before any purchase be insistent on having it in writing re ongoing support and tech advice. Cheers
AnswerID: 421205

Reply By: Member - Richard C (ACT) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 12:24

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 12:24
Hi - I finally got Mapsource working. I had to do a bit of a fiddle but I got there.

Unfortunately the latest version of Mapsource will not allow you to read the Oztopo sample map but if you go to the GPSOZ site there are instructions on how to back out the latest version and reinstall one that does work. This situation may change.

One of the comments above indicated the Garmin 1490T did not work with the AUs Topo maps v2 - this would be a bit of concern as this is a Garmin product - are other people experiencing this issue or is it well known.

Mind you the 7" screen also mentioned above seems a good option if I want to stay with Oziexplorer. I have Natmaps and I have a number of Hema maps, not the lot, but it still is a bit of investment to throw away to go the Garmin route,

The Garmin offering does look like a very good option as well if it works with the Garmin Topo maps.

Richard

AnswerID: 421409

Reply By: Member - Richard C (ACT) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 13:00

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 13:00
A quick question - is the 7" screen to big for the dash board? Seems a lot

Richard
AnswerID: 421413

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 05:53

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 05:53
Hi all,

I noticed that Richard mentioned iPad in his original post, but I could not find where anyone mentioned it after that.

I am a computer cretin, so don't go crazy if these are dumb questions :

Will iPad run Oziexplorer ?

Is the hard drive in an iPad solid state or still a disc drive (corrugation problem for me) ?

Thanks,

Willie.
AnswerID: 422051

Sponsored Links