Netiquette on this site

I've noticed in recent months a decline in the standard of manners on this site. Maybe I'm getting old and intolerant, but as a frequent contributor, there are two things that are really starting to get up my nose.

First, there are some users, non-members especially, who don't seem to be able to express themselves without injecting venom. Rudeness doesn't add to impact, it just turns the readers off and lowers the tone of the forum.

Second - after spending maybe half an hour doing a detailed response intended to help someone with a problem, it's not unreasonable to expect at least a couple of words from the originator, if only to acknowledge the input and wrap up the thread.

Putting these together, what's the point of making input to the forum if you are far more likely to get attacked by someone in need of a personality transplant than to even get an acknowledgement, let alone thanks, for that effort. Let's clean up our acts, or the forum as a whole will be the loser as contributors withdraw their input.

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruiser 2091 - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:40

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:40
I think it is common courtesy to thank and ackknowledge those who submit replies and offer help.
Regards Cruiser
AnswerID: 421038

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:12

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:12
It's not just this forum, they all suffer from the rudeness and bad attitude of posters who have little idea or regard for the things which used to be thought of as basic good manners.
I've read that this appears to be as a result of endless electronic communication instead of face to face contact and people are losing rapidly any sense of gratitude towards others for giving advice or assistance and have very little thought of any kind except for themselves.
I spoke to a prominent member of the club I belong to about his lack of response to his plea for help from me and his reply was to the effect that he didn't have time!
Strange that he had the time to open the e-mail and read the advice freely given but none to click on reply and just say "thanks".
Cheers.
Alan.
FollowupID: 691276

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 14:44

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 14:44
Fully agree with you Cruiser lack of acknowledgement is one of the things that gets up my nose.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691300

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:12

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:12
hi john and val
i hear what you are saying and yes your getting old and grumpy at times just like the rest of us ha ahaa ha ! lol
you have made a very valid assessment and comment and feel you should be acknowledged for it
i guess the admin staff could cut short some of the thread comments more often than they do where threads goes on and on just so certain ones can try to out do/and or have the last word as seems to be happening lately
bit like a boosey pub conversation ayh!
but as said by admin on numerous occasions they dont or can't read every thread and so it comes down to self restraint of the users and respect for others basicly
because yes i have stopped reading some of the threads for above reasons as it gets quiet boring when someone is grandstanding with over powering knowledge
but then isnt that just human nature to some people
hope i have made sense with my angle on this issue
cheers
AnswerID: 421040

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:16

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:16
I agree, a simple "thank you" or some acknowledgement of the help offered is only common courtesy.
The other thing I don't understand is why so many people give the same answer to a question, surely once is enough.
AnswerID: 421041

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:39

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:39
Shaker,
some prefer to make their decisions based on "committee", or at best have input from several sources before making a decision. It is often comforting to know others agree with you.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691281

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:55

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:55
The reason you get so many similar answers is because the person simply doesnt read the thread. I have been caught when someone is typing at the same time as me and they come up together.
Recently I posted the exact cost of something and several later posts had the price as "about".

Cant they read.

Personally I think when you start a thread a little balloon should popup saying

"HAVE YOU SEARCHED FOR THIS ON HERE OR ON GOOGLE"

Some one usually uses google to get the answer so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As an example there have been several threads in the last 10 days re satfones.

ALL the answers were in the first thread..

FollowupID: 691307

Follow Up By: Spade Newsom - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 16:51

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 16:51
Shaker,
some prefer to make their decisions based on "committee", or at best have input from several sources before making a decision. It is often comforting to know others agree with you.

Spade

(Ironic humour is my favourite)
FollowupID: 691316

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:30

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:30
same /simular answers can be handy

as with all forums there can be a fair bit of chaff in with the wheat but when severl replies coming from personal experience saying the same thing - it can be a fair indication the answers are more wheat than chaff
FollowupID: 691399

Reply By: Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 13:10

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 13:10
You're right - you're getting old and intolerant !

Cheers

Gazz
AnswerID: 421046

Reply By: AnneMarie - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 13:15

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 13:15
Hi John & Val,

As a non-member but a keen reader/learner and participant of the EO forum, I would agree with your sentiments above. (I'm also 'old'!!)

It's plain old common courtesy to respond or reply to a forum post or question that you have posted and it has been addressed by others on the forum, whether member or guests. Being polite never cost anything either but I have seen a lot of poor attitude and rudenessthi on so many other forums too, as well as here on the EO forum... unfortunately, there will always be those who have this 'bad attitude', be it this or any other forum - sad fact of life!!

I trust I am not included in the those rude non-members you speak of, John!!! LOL! ;)

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
AnswerID: 421047

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:26

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:26
Hi AnneMarie,

I wasn't throwing stones especially at non-members. I have noticed though that I have no complaint with most members' posts. Certainly you, and many others are valued contributors. By the way, I wouldn't class you as "old" - like many of us, you may be blessed with the wisdom of years, but no, you're not old!

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691329

Reply By: Member - David C2 (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 13:17

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 13:17
I am only a recently new member to this great forum but I couldn't agree more John. Common courtesy is not so common any more. A quick thank you goes a long way. It would be a shame to have the tone of the forum lowered by just a few.
Its a bit like the one finger steering wheel wave when you meet a follow traveller on the road, a small gesture and it costs nothing!

Happy Travels Dave
AnswerID: 421048

Reply By: Muntoo - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 13:37

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 13:37
Yep the forum has gone down big time in last couple of months.

AnswerID: 421052

Follow Up By: Member - Dennis P (Scotland) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:23

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:23
Hi Muntoo,

Care to enlighten the rest of us why you feel this way.
Not having a go at you but I can't see anything that has changed significantly since you started posting.

Cheers,
Dennis

FollowupID: 691461

Follow Up By: Muntoo - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 16:46

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 16:46
Well the exact reasons everyone else has stated. No manners, people who come to ask one question and never return, people with no user names, people who ask the exact same question that has been asked on the same day or day before. And the pathetic tyre questions, over and over again. And of course alot of the good old members that have left, they took with it the backbone of the forum. Its becoming very common to only see a few new posts a day, but thats ok, i frequent another forum more often now.

I have been posting on here for many years my friend. As a member and as a non member.
FollowupID: 691505

Follow Up By: 3GoBush - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 21:09

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 21:09
Hey Muntoo.

I have been posting on here for many years my friend. As a member and as a non member, you and me both.

As for the rest of your response, you hit the nail on the Head.
FollowupID: 691562

Reply By: ModSquad - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 13:38

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 13:38
Thank you for raising this. Without starting a moderation discussion lets just say that us Mods end up being labelled the bad guys when we moderate people for Personal Attack and Trolling. Moderation is meant to remove the rude exchange from view and give the poster a chance to reword their reply and send back to modsquad a rewrittern version but all we end up with is further abuse usually complaining we have singled them out or that we are unfair, or inconsistent etc. But the rules are there to encourage basic common curtesy and keep the rudeness out of the Forum. We can only act on posts that you alert us to so remember that please. As mazcan said - "it comes down to self restraint of the users and respect for others ".
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 421053

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 13:57

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 13:57
Hi MS, I don't think you guys need to put up with any backhanders. May I suggest 2 strikes and a ban for a month. Further instances a lifetime ban. Keep up the good work.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 691297

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 14:08

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 14:08
Hey John! Thank you for your comment. We do infact forward names to management to ban repeat offenders, that is written in the moderation policy. And from time to time, people are banned for 2 weeks, or a month, but very rarely permanent. We don't like to ban people for forum misdemeanours so it is not done lightly. We know that banning means they are restricted from having a registered profile to use any of the site, not just the forum. Again, may we stress that we are Members too and volunteered for this role as we were passionate to help with the running of the Forum and want to leave the EO staff to run the business and let the site continue to improve.
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 691298

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 14:12

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 14:12
I agree 3 things annoy me

Firstly the ones who wont use a screen name, as a while ago when we had two "name not found" asking similar questions.

Secondly those who ask for specific advice and then never acknowledge or post what the solution to the problem was.

If you have time to ask, you have time to respond.

Thirdly the threads that degenerate into chats between a few members (or not)

Sometimes completely off topic. A waste of the forums space.

Rant over
AnswerID: 421058

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:05

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:05
I agree Graham and the fourth one is those that put a heading up and when you go into it the topic has nothing to do with the heading.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691302

Follow Up By: HGMonaro - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:47

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:47
"If you have time to ask, you have time to respond."

maybe they don't come back to actually read the answers!
FollowupID: 691305

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:02

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:02
Why bother in the first place then.

Have also a few who post the same question on different forums and dont acknowledge answers on either.

FollowupID: 691322

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:27

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:27
The issue regarding the screen name "name not found" is when something went wrong with the person's profile as it was uploading the post. Sometimes people even delete their profile after making a post!

MM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 691463

Reply By: Rob! - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:36

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:36
On John's behalf I wish to acknowledge and thank all the people that have contributed to his thread so far.

R.
AnswerID: 421066

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:22

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:22
Hi John & Val

Couldn't agree more, and also as is said above, some don't bother with google or a thread search.

The number of times I have replied to a question, referring the poster to your camping electricity blog is quite amazing, but rarely a 'thanks mate'. It also shows that they haven't bothered investigating the topic themselves.

I refuse to reply or offer advice to 'name not found' threads, if a person can't be bothered registering, well, they couldn't be too fair dinkum. I would have thought registering a screen name would have been mandatory before being allowed to post a thread.

Of course, my biggest hang up is the lack of the use of spell check. Most would know that I 'launched a campaign' to automatically have the spell checker start up, before a post could be submitted, and though we had a poll which 75% or so of the respondents agreed that this would be a good idea, nothing ever happened.

It makes one wonder why the word 'common', is in 'common sense', and common courtesy', when neither is 'common' any more.

Cheers, Dave

AnswerID: 421075

Follow Up By: Spade Newsom - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:29

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:29
'wacker, I used spell checker once on EO and I ended up with a mess so I must have failed spell checker class.

I keep a dictionery, err sorry dictionary, next to my computer for emergencies. The dictionary does not help with typos or the times when I mistakenly think I am correct.

If you are going to insist on spelling standards then you must also insist on grammar, or should that be grammatical, standards. Where do you draw the line.

Communication is a three stage event. Message sent, message received and confirmation back to sender that message received AND understood. Everything else including spelling is just detail. I don't believe spelling is an issue unless it affects the ability to understand the message in a reasonable time frame.

In today's technology based age, stage three is often missing and the frequent lack of stage three on this forum is one of John & Val's gripes. Missing stage three leaves a large hole in the communication process more so than whether a word is spelt correctly or otherwise.

The traditional insistence upon correct spelling, grammar and pronunciation was a tool for the pompous to distinguish themselves from us unwashed. If everyone can access spell checker then nobody can distinguish themselves from anybody else so therefore what is the point.

These are just my views about a topic that I find very interesting that probably has only a vague connection to the original thread. Please read the following passage.

It dneos't rellay mettar so mcuh aoubt spnllieg as mcuh as it deos smilpy ginettg the ceorrct magesse arcsos ecffetevliy. Tlel me waht you tnihk.

Spade

FollowupID: 691344

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 21:42

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 21:42
Hi Spade

I agree with you regards getting the message across, so if you wish to spell incorrectly, it's your choice.

I am of the opinion that the spell check on here is 'American English', so it is not that great, but better than nothing, when you read (or try to read) some posts. Anyway, this has been discussed many times, I lost the debate and I will cop that on the chin.

As for your last paragraph, I have seen that, (or similar), many times in emails... an urban myth that the mind only needs to read the first and last letters of a word to enable words to be read. I wonder who paid for the 'study'? Why don't we just have a vocabulary consisting entirely of 2 letter words?

Getting off topic here,

Cheers, Dave
FollowupID: 691391

Follow Up By: Spade Newsom - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:52

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:52
I actually agree with you Dave.

I was just being mischievous, coming across as slighty argumentative just to add some irony to the basis of the original topic.

Not that the points I made were invalid, untrue or even uninteresting.

Baiting and challenging can be an effective communication tool as it often requires one side to come up with other ways to explain their point. This can reveal flaws in an argument or even strengthen it.

"John and Val" is right though that healthy debate seems to quickly degenerate far too often which is a shame.
FollowupID: 691407

Follow Up By: Jude&theboys - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:28

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:28
I love Mozilla Firefox as a browser because it has an option to have a UK English spell checker that checks anything you type in the browser and underlines in red as you type. Helps a lot to avoid typos.

Jude
FollowupID: 691597

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:22

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:22
Thanks Rob for your wrapup!! and everyone else for comments. From this discussion I see emerging some unwritten principles. It's hard to write down unwritten principals, but from the above discussion I think they go like this:

1) Treat others with respect. You don't need to agree with them, but you should respect their opinion as you would hope they will respect yours. Treat them as well as you would like to be treated. This includes:

a) Don't be rude or offensive
b) Acknowledge and thank them for trying to help
c) Stick to the topic in the header - skirmishes on the sideline simply detract from the main event
d) Make sure your header is in fact what you want to talk about, so you don't waste other's time and patience in trying to respond.
e) Don't waste other's time and patience by engaging publicly in a private discussion.

2) Don't rely on the Modsquad to police breaches of the above. They perform a valued service in moderating excesses. We must ourselves manage our net behaviour.

Enough preaching for today!

Cheers

John

J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 421077

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:28

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:28
John - Do you really think a post will change the way a person is? :-)

By the time you are old enough to post you are set in your ways I would say.

But hey maybe it is worth a go, after all the Mod Squad left it alone :-)

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 691330

Reply By: Outnabout.. - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:46

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:46
Just another point of view.

Sometimes I might say thanks in advance when posting in the first place and that depends on the post to a degree whether it is a simple thing or requires a detailed response.

I hate posts with several replies and then several followups saying the same thankyou to all the replies.

Sometimes people may say nothing nand then after the posts pretty much finish just thak everyone who replied.
This is my preferred one but must admit sometimes I have forgotten to go back and do this.

So it might be that people are not rude but mereley forgettful.

Most people on the forum that put posts up usually give replies to others so I think the gratitude is the feeling I get by giving back to the forum some usefull information rather than someone saying thankyou a hundred times.
Joy is the simplest form of gratitude and I get joy from giving.

David
AnswerID: 421082

Follow Up By: Happy Frank - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:00

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:00
Everyone has a different idea about what was/is acceptable. I was a member for many years but another member perosnally attacked/abused me through the member messaging system so I am now a non-member and have a different screen name. I now see the disregard some members have for non-members but totally agree that manners should apply.
FollowupID: 691335

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:51

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:51
Happy Frank,

We are sorry to hear that you were on the recieving end of such abuse. We have had in the past recieved complaints from other members in regards to them recieving abusive MM's and the member who was sending those messages was dealt with and is no longer able to use the site as a registered user, due to repeated warnings of inappropriate use of the MM feature being ignored.

If any Member feels that they are being abused via the Member Message function we ask that they email us a copy of that MM (Use to the email to me icon 1st then email that to modsquad@exploroz.com). Without notification we can not assist Members from this unacceptable Abuse.

Regards
The Modsquad

Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 691440

Follow Up By: Gramps - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:07

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:07
"the member who was sending those messages was dealt with and is no longer able to use the site as a registered user, due to repeated warnings of inappropriate use of the MM feature being ignored. "

LOL I wondered where that wacko had gone. Good work Modsquad, bet you thought you'd never hear that from me hahahahahaha

Regards
FollowupID: 691595

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:55

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:55
I think placing your christian name at the bottom of posts would be nice!! A more personal touch to the forum. For some unknown reason, some dont feel the need to do so!!

Regards Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 421083

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:29

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:29
I agree regards...oops, michael LOL. Always nice to know who you are talking to, as there should be no reason to hide behind an alias on this site.

Andrew
FollowupID: 691345

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:13

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:13
Hi Andrew,
Like yourself, my name is my screen name but i still sign off with, Regards Michael.. I also agree with posts above, manners by some on this site are shocking!!! Wouldnt it be nice if everyone was pleasant..

Regards, Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 691369

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:35

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:35
Hi Guys,

All sorts of things can become a bit of a burr under your saddle, so to speak, if you let it. But life is a little short, well at this end it appears that way, so I think the ignorant ones are best left to their own devices.

I think the best approach is "Do your best and leave the rest to fortuousity" as the song goes.

Cheers all, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 421090

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:41

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:41
Well said John. I don't pretend to be perfect, however it is worthwhile "trying" to be courteous and helpful when discussing topics. Maybe we should have a pre-submit button where you have to re-read your posting before submitting, thinking about what you are saying and what the receiver will interpret by your posting. :) (might need it right now LOL)

All in all, a worthwhile forum to gather information for getting out there. Thanks to the Mods for their voluntary efforts.

Andrew
AnswerID: 421092

Follow Up By: Spade Newsom - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 19:08

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 19:08
Andrew, Yes the presubmit button might help sometimes. I have gone back and read a message I have posted only to find it did not make any sense or worse said something different to what I was intending.

Spade
FollowupID: 691353

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:30

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:30
The "pre-submit" button exists already. It is the first button - sitting on the left of Submit, called "Preview". !!!

MM

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691464

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:57

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:57
:) thanks LOL

I possibly meant that it should be mandatory to read (preview) what is posted before submitting, thereby making both the formatting and the content reviewed first.

Pipe dream i know ;)

Andrew
FollowupID: 691467

Reply By: D200Dug- Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 19:01

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 19:01
Some of the threads touch on pretty contentious political and social subjects.
While people will disagree I think it is the adult thing to at least try to be polite and state your point of view as honestly as possible without deriding the other person for their beliefs.

There are a few members here who seem to think that anyone who disagrees with their point of view is a dangerous moron who should be insulted and ridiculed.

As for technical information a simple thank you reply should be common courtesy .

Note : Thanks to everyone who has offered help advice and suggestions to my questions :-)
AnswerID: 421094

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:34

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:34
Yes Dug - as you say, "Some of the threads touch on pretty contentious political and social subjects" - these are usually moderated for breaching the "trolling" or the "off topic" rule. In the off topic rule we clearly state that

...."we don't want our Forum to be used as an open venue for people to create pointless posts, unrelated jokes, posts about politics, religion, football, work, your private home life, or posts with links to other Forums, photos or newspaper articles on unrelated topics etc. We do however, offer our Members the ability to create and publish a Blog - the topic of these is totally unrestricted as these fall outside the bounds of the Forum Rules." ..............

MM

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691465

Reply By: CruisinDub - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 21:59

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 21:59
Hi John,

Hope this finds you and your wife well.

No, I dont think you are getting old and intolerant, at 34 yrs old, I also find myself becoming more and more intolerant to certain situations.
Perhaps it may be that in my line of work, not a word of Thanks is ever offered and despite carrying those below me (keeping up their motivation) and trying very hard to please those above me, my intolerance comes from not a word of appreciation.
Our year around Aust later in the year is to gain once again our 'human spirit' by what you so often recieve in the country and also some quality time for ourselves. Perhaps working overseas for last 14 years, I am missing some Aussie hospitality.
Anyhow,
This is my second try to finish this reply, the first was cut short when my computer crashed. With perserverance and patience, I try again to add a few words from my point of view.
You and your wife have both contributed to my forum posts, both with positive response and also much appreciation from my behalf. As 'free' registered user, (soon to be full member upon returning home later in the year) I do note that there are 'paid' and 'unpaid' users. The full members have responded in a positive way to an unpaid member (myself) and note that it 'usually' doesnt matter to other forum posts that I also read avidly.
The forum postings, are a big help to us when planning and also for information gathering. I have contributed some small info for hopefully helping or educating others if at all possible, but have gained alot back in return.
I remain an avid reader of EO, usin the reply from a member of another thread, that EO is for those that want to explore Auste , and not 'car make/brand' threads which I enjoy. (we have a VW Kombi and hope to have a 'troopy' soon.
There are the old boys on here that offer infinite wisdom, those that are experienced in their specialised field and also then new ones like me that try to take as much information from those with more experience and knowledge than me.
I bypass the responses that do not benefit the thread and read on to those who have contributed to helping others.
Over time I have noted those members that are regular repliers of informative and helpful information or advice and those that do not contribute much but dribble.
I tend to bypass those as well.
Granted some replies do not warrant a reply to each and every individual thread, where a 'group thanks' is noted to a number of repliers under the same 'follow up' reply.
You can easily fill a thread page with repsonses back to each individual, though it takes nothing to say thanks to 'all' contributors by way of group response or even an personal thanks/follow up to the repliers who have taken the time to reply with a serious response of benefit.

I have always tried to repsond to each with my appreciation, and always ending my forum question with 'Thanks in Advance' and always tried to respond to each personal reply, even noting the name that they like to be referred to. Its a common courtesy John.
Unfortunately, a few small can ruin it for many others who are genuine.
I hope that it remains that those that do help and also that Want to help, continue to do so, despite a few who lack common decency.
My wife used to read EO with me, but got put off by what you have described and now calls it the 'old man whingers/bickering forum'.
The threads that have a lot of bickering between posters definitely tar it for the likes of my wife who used to enjoy reading the info from others and also asking me many questions of 'whats this/whats that'? 'thats good, we need one of those' etc etc
We are getting more and more excited each day of our inpending return home to begin our adventures travelling the great australia and my home!

EO is a great source of information and I feel even though I have been reading for a while, became a 'free' member only recently but plan to become a full member upon retruning home, I browse this site everyday, learning soemthing new. I hope to also be able to add my help to someone one day via this site and become one of the contributors of help in return.

I hope that those good contributors continue and remain doing so, not only for my benefit, but others out there starting out as well.
If someone has a different opinion, there is a nice and also human way to respond. perhaps internet is not personal, and sometimes just written words can be misunderstood, but surely a simple Thanks or acknowledgement is not hard to write either.

John , continue to add to the forum and dont be put off with a minor few. I for one appreciate the effort given from some people.

Thankyou
regards Paul

AnswerID: 421122

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:41

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:41
Good points John, however the first time I accessed the forum, two members where having a slanging match with personal abuse. Nothing has changed over the years, here, or on other forums I visit. The person who is rude or abusive is showing the world that he is a rude or abusive person – everyone sees only his rudeness and none of the other qualities he may have.

I too like some sort of reply when giving information or advice. Last year I advised a potential camper of a place to bush camp, and as we were travelling at the time with no reference to it with me and it was a few years since we found it, I was fairly vague with my directions. I later got a message of thanks from the person after they had found it and camped there, complete with GPS coordinates; that was an added nice touch.

This thread has certainly sparked interest with views and responses, and ideas coming out are good. Simple common sense things like; doing a search before posting (we are asked to do that by the system anyway), reading for errors before submitting (oh for a 15 minute edit function as the spelling error becomes obvious just after pressing submit), not duplicating what others have said (although sometimes with simultaneous replies this can’t be avoided), setting up a log in name (the system never used to allow posts from “name not found”), and using a good descriptive heading.

In addition to abusive, rude or arrogant behaviour be it against an individual, political leaning or race, I object to surreptitious advertising thinly disguised as an informative post. I have occasionally pressed Alert Moderator in these circumstances. I also don’t like to see someone putting up a criticising question about the forum when it would be better addressed to the owners direct.

I don’t believe people need to sign off with a real name; a nickname is fine, and often more memorable. After all, how many members are called John? A name such as Diesel ‘n Dust (picked at random from the membership list as an example) is far more memorable and individualistic. We are on the internet and open to the world, not just the members here, and I want to maintain my privacy.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 421127

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:58

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:58
All fixed up Motherhen.

The Modsquad

Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 691409

Reply By: fisho64 - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:35

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:35
Oh the IRONY!

A thread criticizing (among other things) repeated posts giving the same or similar answer.

And its half full of.....

:-)
AnswerID: 421156

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:12

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:12
fisho64.
Yes,
I fully agree with you, this is the internet and it's half full of .....

Can't mention attempts to correct untrue, misleading or false information posted

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 691445

Reply By: Pete Mac - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:35

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:35
As good as the internal search is on Exploroz - just a suggestion for people to help find prior postings that may be relevant to their query.

I find it easier to search exploroz using google. You can add the modifier "site:exploroz.com" to the end of your search in google to just search exploroz.

example:

bridgestone d693 site:exploroz.com

will bring up all posts relating to Bridgestone 693's.

I am sure many people are aware of this but some may not be.

Cheers,

Pete
AnswerID: 421165

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:06

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:06
Very good point Pete Mac

I Google everything as a matter of habit from how to, to what if and where is it. More often than not I end up back on ExplorOZ because of that. I am not as specific as your search above as I like a few choices, but you have set my mind to active again with the inclusion of site details - I thought I'd done just about everything.

Thanks very much for the reminder Pete.

Regards
Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691457

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:41

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:41
David has always advised me that the code used in the Forum search function is inferior to the code used in the Site Search function YET the Site Search will also search all the Forum. SO - if you want to improve your Forum search results, use the Site Search - you may surprise yourself in the process and find useful results in other parts of the site too (eg. Places, Blogs, Road Conditions, Articles...) however look carefully in the left box when you search and you'll see the results listed for each site section - one specific for Forum. The other thing is to learn how to use the Forum search more effectively, there are some specific tricks to understand how to enter a search term to get the most effective results - there is a help file to explain this in more detail.

MM

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691466

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:07

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:07
Thanks David & Michelle

I only use ExplorOZ search utilities when logged on, I guess I should have made it clearer as my use of Google pertains to worldwide searches for technology and photography issues, in doing that I very often come up with results including posts from ExplorOZ.

Because I am a bit lazy I generally do not define searches as basic and clearly as Pete put it, just giving positive, but sincere feedback.

On a positive note Fiona and I probably saved incurring some very heavy ($1,000+) fines along the Darling River Run recently had we not been on ExplorOZ. EO searches always revealed the latest updates and references to the latest available information or where/who to call to get updated. At this point I might add that the very council that would have imposed the penalties provided outdated information - wrong attitude by staff member probably but that was the one I got.

As you may have noticed I put the occasional photo up in Places so people can see what they will see when they get there, unfortunately I have backed out of some because I don't have GPS co-ordinates - h'mmm I'll check out that left box too.

Regards
Paul H

Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691468

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:13

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:13
HI Paul, my followup was actually directed more at Paul's reply rather than yours, as he was giving tips for how to use Google to search ExplorOz, so I was explaining how to use ExplorOz site search as it is on EO and is better than the internal "forum" search.

Interesting story about your DRR trip!
Cheers! mum,
MM

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691469

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:36

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:36
Seems this thread has touched some raw nerves! Lots of responses confirming that concerns about the site are widespread, about 50 responses as I write (less than a day after the original post), a couple of tongue-in-cheeks, and only one expressing bitterness.

There have been some very thoughtful essays expanding on the original thoughts. One interesting one from Paul, who has been overseas for years, is a reminder that we do have a significant audience outside Australia. Some have pointed out that poor web manners are universal and certainly not confined to this forum.

I see no objection to different contributors saying much the same thing - it reinforces the validity of that particular viewpoint. Many interesting details have emerged above too.

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. I think we've aired this one pretty fully!

Cheers

John
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 421166

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 16:42

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 16:42
Hi John, I think that the number of hits and responses to your thread may also be largely due to the potenial for a catfight to develop.
These can be entertaning at times and since the moderators have been more involved these fights have very much decreased. Probably find a lot of folk returning to this thread to see how its developing.

With the wide variety of people that view and participate in this forum I have found that a small percentage, who have a higher education, are all to eager to prove it. Equally, there are some that seem to have an IQ no larger than their shoe size and again, eager to prove it.

The vast majority, I feel, are average everyday people who use this forum to gain or offer info. Spelling, grammar, punctuation mistakes are only a problem if your unable to understand what is being asked or said.
Humour, bantering, robust debate, the above mentioned catfights are all about entertainment but personal attacks do cross the line.

Although I do agree with you where common courtesy and manners are important, they dont seem as widespread these days as they once were.
I am of a generation where one automatically said thankyou, stood when a lady entered the room, tipped your hat and opened doors to and for a lady.
A fight outside the pub with another gentleman ended when one was on the ground, no kicking, no knives, no mates helping.

Not part of your original post but, have you noticed that threads on tyres, fuel consumption, fridges, dual batteries etc do draw good informative answers, however, posts a little out of the ordinary or possibly nearing OT seem to draw a lot more responses and huge numbers of hits.
Moderation does seem to be a balancing act.

Sorry if I have been waffling on a bit, yours was a simple observation and question..........Im thinking of getting into politics and just practicing....hahaha.

Cheers.....Lionel.

FollowupID: 691503

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 23:05

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 23:05
Hooray to the invention of 'pills', and may you all take yours.

Amen

AnswerID: 422154

Sponsored Links